Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many of you drive SUV's?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

lightening wrote: »
    Wooohooo! Easy there tiger, only having a laugh.

No problem man, I get on the offensive on threads like these!:) I don't drive an astra any more either!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

astraboy wrote: »
    I don't drive an astra any more either!:D

nor are you a boy any more ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I have my second X5 which I bought last week! Totally love it, and I do need it for the amount of work I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Proof that you don't need to drive an SUV to inconvenience people on the road; you just have to be retarded (I saw this today in UCD).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Proof that you don't need to drive an SUV to inconvenience people on the road; you just have to be retarded (I saw this today in UCD).

The Belfield pervert strikes again. ;) (see pic 3)

Spying on canoodling couples. Tut tut. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DaveMcG wrote: »

What's wrong with the SUV? I can't quite see it clearly with that Starlet parked in the way:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

javaboy wrote: »
    The Belfield pervert strikes again. ;) (see pic 3)

Spying on canoodling couples. Tut tut. :D

They, ehhh, got in the picture by accident :o *looks left, looks right, runs away!!!*

I think those white lines in car parks are just guides... really you use your own discretion as to where you want to park, and clearly this person wanted to park in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

I am sick and tired of all this negative talk re SUV's. I live in the country, but only 25 miles from the Dublin city centre. I work on a farm (part time as you cant make ends meet any more on one) and my SUV, as you like to call all 4x4's does more work off road than on. I also drive same 4x4 into city etc as the public transport in this country is a joke. The roads around here reg flood and freeze and a 4x4 is essential for all living around me, both farmers AND non farmers. I wish you would all put your energy into pushing for the sort of public transport we should have by now, so giving people a REAL alternative and give my head peace :mad: At the very least you should give 4x4's without D reg's the benefit of doubt !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

keving wrote: »
    I am sick and tired of all this negative talk re SUV's. I live in the country, but only 25 miles from the Dublin city centre. I work on a farm (part time as you cant make ends meet any more on one) and my SUV, as you like to call all 4x4's does more work off road than on. I also drive same 4x4 into city etc as the public transport in this country is a joke. The roads around here reg flood and freeze and a 4x4 is essential for all living around me, both farmers AND non farmers. I wish you would all put your energy into pushing for the sort of public transport we should have by now, so giving people a REAL alternative and give my head peace :mad: At the very least you should give 4x4's without D reg's the benefit of doubt !

A good example of someone who needs this tye of vechile but probably still get dirty looks etc when traveling into town.

When exactly does a jeep/pickup become (called) an SUV? Eg I don't think everyone would classify a Defender an SUV, more a work jeep if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

To be perfectly honest, I reckon 95% of the people in this country dont need the particular vehicle they drive.

Also, nobody needs to justify themselves or their purchase decisions to anyone.

All you begrudgers would be better off using your time and energy on something constructive rather than airing your petty, misinformed grievances here.

• Advertisement

Yeah, your right. I don't need a 200 BHP car. But, it is safer than a SUV!

Yeah, your right. I don't need a 200 BHP car. But, it is safer than a SUV!

Correction,

Some 200BHP cars are safer than Some SUV's,
    All depending on the driver and the driving environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

No problem man, I get on the offensive on threads like these!:)

that would be your inexperience and immaturity - 5 years driving and 3 countries - wow wee!:eek:

prospect wrote: »
    Correction,

Some 200BHP cars are safer than Some SUV's,
    All depending on the driver and the driving environment.

I said my car was safer than an SUV dude. It's certainly safer on a normal road, better road handling, lower centre of gravity, stops quicker, lighter, safer for pedestrians etc...

Safer if I'm driving in normal road environments.

dodgyme wrote: »
    3 countries - wow wee!:eek:

Greece, Spain and Ibiza on mopeds ;)

that would be your inexperience and immaturity - 5 years driving and 3 countries - wow wee!:eek:

"Here, we can view the irrational immature ramblings of an SUV hater in their natural environment." It would be beautiful if it were not so sad.

O and Ireland, the US and Canada, driving everything from Cars to large Pickups, vans and even a removal truck. I can handle large boats too but I'd say the SUV haters dislike people owning them too as they are a friviolus display of wealth and no one uses all the space in theit boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Astraboy: I can handle large boats too but I'd say the SUV haters dislike people owning them too as they are a friviolus display of wealth and no one uses all the space in theit boat!

When it comes to boats, it tends to be those in the larger boats who complain most about those in smaller / faster boats, (at least that seems to be the way on the Shannon). They seem to be of the opinion that because they are big and slower, that they have the high moral ground.

O and Ireland, the US and Canada!

wow I am impressed. You win the argument hands down with your point about boats? Jez man relax the cats!, dont give yourself heart burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Balls. You just don't like people showing off in a fancy x5 and want to prevent this as much as possible.
    A 'fancy X5'! Where do you live, astraboy?:D

Anan1 wrote: »
    A 'fancy X5'! Where do you live, astraboy?:D

Cork.:p Dem BM---wu's are rght fancy down here!

As for Dodgeme, grow up. You questioned my driving experience, you got an answer. Are you not the one in a previous thread that you could not see the road properly due to SUV's? I'd be more worried about your driving ability if you can't manage to hang back slightly and see the road ahead. If you do not have constructive arguments then jog on.

• Advertisement

I said my car was safer than an SUV dude. It's certainly safer on a normal road, better road handling, lower centre of gravity, stops quicker, lighter, safer for pedestrians etc...

What is your car?

Sh8t.. I was hoping you weren't going to ask that. Now your going to go and name all the SUV's that are safer than my car. I was too lazy to go looking...

here goes anyway. Golf GTi 06.

Crucify me.

EDIT... I just looked my car up, its a very safe car!

Cork.:p Dem BM---wu's are rght fancy down here!

As for Dodgeme, grow up. You questioned my driving experience, you got an answer. Are you not the one in a previous thread that you could not see the road properly due to SUV's? I'd be more worried about your driving ability if you can't manage to hang back slightly and see the road ahead. If you do not have constructive arguments then jog on.

I never questioned your driving ability. But you poor unfortunate is only 22 so stop acting like you have been driving for 30 yrs.

Secondly I saw a chat show last night where in america the suv's are having a problem that they cannot see children etc at the back of the vehicle that you would see in a normal sized car (oprah windfrey show). Now astraboy what do you think the solution these american came up with was, get a smaller car ? no! , no get more cameras attached. i think this says it all, as will your predictable response. Thridly SUV obstruct view, whether you have parked beside one in a multistorey and are pulling out of the space beside it or behind one on the M50 and the obstruct the view ahead on the road, hence other drivers have to adjust their behaviour accordingly. Really you need to grow up abit and stop on your high horse calling everybody a fascist or a begrudger or anything else because they will not collapsed to your argument and the fact that you have been driving for a relatively short period of time that you make sound like a generation.:eek:

. Golf GTi 06.!

great car and a great tradition. Love the golfs particularly the early 80's ones. Icon of a car.

Grand car, does the job, I surf a lot and I sail a lot. The roof rack and the fold down seats do me fine. I travel all over the island surfing and sailing in all conditions. I still don't need a SUV.

dodgyme: I will counter your argument about the height of 4x4's being a danger to others, if you drive too close to any vehicle your line of sight is restricted, so back off.

Anyway I had an incident recently where I was coming down the road towards my home when a neighbours kid ran straight out in front of me (this kid is tiny) and had I not being driving a Landcruiser I wouldn't have seen him, till it was TOO late. Now I was driving very slowly anyway as there is always kids around (my own included) and they just have no road sense. I stopped in plenty of time and he carried on oblivious to what happened.

We have another neighbour 40ish woman who drives a horrible mini, too fast for in the estate, if she had been the one coming down the road that day, I hate to say it but the kid would have died. this arrogant bitch has been taken to task over her driving already (Guards and all have been to see her), but she is too stuck up to be bothered.

Lightening: you are correct in what you say, if you don't need one then don't drive one. Mine is a commercial which I definitly need for work as I'm off road alot and tow regularly. Respect on your choice of car and past time, would love to get into surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

WHITE_P wrote: »
    dodgyme: I will counter your argument about the height of 4x4's being a danger to others, if you drive too close to any vehicle your line of sight is restricted, so back off.
    Sorry, but this makes no sense whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

WHITE_P wrote: »
    We have another neighbour 40ish woman who drives a horrible mini, too fast for in the estate, if she had been the one coming down the road that day, I hate to say it but the kid would have died. this arrogant bitch has been taken to task over her driving already (Guards and all have been to see her), but she is too stuck up to be bothered.

She wouldn't be able to drive too fast with four flat tires now would she. ;)

I never questioned your driving ability. But you poor unfortunate is only 22 so stop acting like you have been driving for 30 yrs.

Secondly I saw a chat show last night where in america the suv's are having a problem that they cannot see children etc at the back of the vehicle that you would see in a normal sized car (oprah windfrey show). Now astraboy what do you think the solution these american came up with was, get a smaller car ? no! , no get more cameras attached. i think this says it all, as will your predictable response. Thridly SUV obstruct view, whether you have parked beside one in a multistorey and are pulling out of the space beside it or behind one on the M50 and the obstruct the view ahead on the road, hence other drivers have to adjust their behaviour accordingly. Really you need to grow up abit and stop on your high horse calling everybody a fascist or a begrudger or anything else because they will not collapsed to your argument and the fact that you have been driving for a relatively short period of time that you make sound like a generation.:eek:

Your not comparing like with like. An American SUV is a chevy suburban, my cousin has one, I've driven it, and it is huge. I'd nearly agree that it is too big, and would certainly be out of place in Ireland. But Americans like everything big. The suburban makes a range rover look small. Now compare that to a hyundai Santa fe, one of the most popular SUV's in Ireland. Its a hatchback when you compare them. How is a santa fe any more dangerous then a mondeo? They have similar crash safety ratings and look up the dimensions, the Hyundai is not that much bigger. I'm not calling anyone a fascist, I don't recall Hitler wanting SUV's banned.;) But a huge element of the anti-suv argument is based on begrudgery weather people admit it or not. I'm not on my high horse, you are in fact, telling people what they should and should not drive. Myself, I drive an alfa 156 cos I want a car that handles, not a boat of an suv, but each to their own. We all need to constantly adjust our behavior according to what vehicles are on the road. Should we all drive minis to make things easier for you? Tractors, trucks, vans, large saloons all require different actions when approaching them. Its part of driving, get over it. Also, there are parts of Ireland outside Dublin, so its fairly small minded to just judge the entire population of SUV owners because some drive them on the M50 on a daily basis.

O, and if my points are not valid because I've only been driving 5 years thats a sad state of affairs. :rolleyes:I've probably had more driving experience in 5 years then many people would in 10, both in types of roads and vehicles.

Yes it does, you drive too close to the back of a truck, van etc then your sight is blocked. I did an advanced driving course, the instructor told us to hang back from larger vehicles to give a better line of sight. Common sense really. And yes vans and trucks need to be on the road, some SUV's don't but I've countered that argument already.

• Advertisement

Makes no sense, when all you can see is the back of the vehicle in front of you, your TOO close (tailgateing) dosen't matter how high that vehicle is. Now I'm not suggesting that You tailgate, but your arguemnet that you can't see past them, because they are too high makes no sense. Do you drive right up the the back of buses / HGV's etc. either while driving along normally or when intending to overtake.

Advertisement