Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my CPU limit a new GPU?

Options
  • 25-02-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Currently got an AMD 64x2 4200+ and a 7900GT set up. Thinking of ditching the 7900GT for a new 9600GT. Will the increase in performance be limited by my CPU? And if so, would upgrading to a 64x2 6000+ sort this out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ya, the cpu will be a bottleneck, but not as bad as you expect. What mobo? The 6000+ is only available in socket AM2, not 939. You could overclock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Ah, forgot about the different sockets! I am 99% sure my Gigabyte K8N mobo is socket 939. Maybe I should just overclock it - used to do this but have forgotten over the past few years.

Got my new 9600GT delivered at lunch, can't wait to get home after work to install and test! Will report back with an idea of the difference between the 7900GT performance and the 9600GT...prepare to see a 7900GT for sale on adverts.ie soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭patrick2007

Hi,
    Sorry this may be a stupid question but is the 9600GT a new card? I've been reading about the 9800series but didnt realise a 9600series was coming out? Again sorry if its a stupid question.
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes it's new, currently the only 9 series card released.

• Advertisement

It still won't allow me to run Oblivion with all settings maxed out flawlessly (still some chugging!) but have boosted the settings on Call of Duty 4 and the improvement is immense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

ionapaul wrote: »
    Hey all,

Currently got an AMD 64x2 4200+ and a 7900GT set up. Thinking of ditching the 7900GT for a new 9600GT. Will the increase in performance be limited by my CPU? And if so, would upgrading to a 64x2 6000+ sort this out?

Surely the whole point of a GPU is that it takes the strain off the CPU?

I'd imagine the limiting factor would be the bus speed between the GPU and the CPU. But I can't imagine this being too much of a bottleneck.

I'd say that AMD x2 64-bit processor is grand! I wouldn't be throwing money at a processor upgrade.

I'd love to get my hands on one of those GPU cards for some pattern recognition programming. I've heard rumours there's going to be XDR ram on the next evolution which would be a huge benefit -- the memory access speeds would be multiplied by a factor of 4 or 5!

GPUs are beasts already and you've effectively got teraflop speeds from a desktop machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Your CPU scores 1650 in 3D Mark 06. I'm not quite sure about that score but it seems decent enough. GPU power is more important than CPU power when it comes to gaming though and you've certainly got a great GPU there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If its a 939 X2 then that Manchester/Toledo core should be able to clock up to the 3GHz mark with decent cooling. If you have a good cooler then you could give it a go, otherwise it may be time to upgrade the platform (not easy to come by good S939 parts these days, the highest i believe was the 4800+ at only 2.4GHz).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    If its a 939 X2 then that Manchester/Toledo core should be able to clock up to the 3GHz mark with decent cooling. If you have a good cooler then you could give it a go, otherwise it may be time to upgrade the platform (not easy to come by good S939 parts these days, the highest i believe was the 4800+ at only 2.4GHz).
    Fx-60 at 2.6 and and unlocked multiplier if I remember correctly. Probably expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Buy a E4500, AC Freezer 7 Pro and a GA-P31-DS3L AND OVERCLOCK!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Would be better if the op just got a opty 170/165 and took it to 3ghz. They can be found for as little as 20£ on fleabay these days.

Advertisement