Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1998 316 Compact Catalytic Converter Price???

Options
  • 25-02-2008 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Yikes!

I'm currently driving a 98 316 Compact with an automatic gearbox. Low mileage - about 60000.

I noticed a nasty rattle coming from under the car around the 2000 to 3000 rpm mark last week. I dropped it into a dealer this morning and they just rang me to say that the "honeycomb" in the cat is breaking up and will need to be replaced.

They said the cost would be around 970 euro plus VAT. Does this sound right? I could live with the noise (just about) but I don't want to damage the car. But now I'm looking at over a grand to fix this issue.

Advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I was quoted 1400 just for the catalytic converter for a 735i and excluding labour so 970 sounds right. Mine is a bit loud when cold but is ok when it warms up. I think the worst that can happen is that you might render anybody behind the car unconscious with the fumes from the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ring Atlas tyres and Exhausts and ask them how much to replace it with a spurious part.

I got the same quote but they were able to leave the rest of the exhaust system and weld in the Cat only for 350.

It won't be a BMW genuine part but will get you through the NCT and keep you going for a few more years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Zola_

Auto Exhausts on Stannaway Drive in Crumlin will fit a cat in a 316 for 330 euro. it'd be a supurious one too

Advertisement