Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do about english reg car abandoned

Options
  • 25-02-2008 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Outside there is an English Reg car parked for the last 9 months.

It's never been moved in that time.
    It has no petrol cap, there are ramps of muck around the wheels so it's never been moved.It has a flat wheel too.
    It's unsightly and annoying to think that people just leave cars around - but what to do.

The council say they can't do anything with a car that they can't contact the owner (i.e english registered)

The guards say they can't so anything unless it's obstructing a drive or there is a problem with it....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

There was a thread on here lately about claiming ownership an abandoned English car.

Might be an option if it is clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

You could take off the registration plates and then phone the council.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Do you know who owns it? A neighbour? If so, nothing you can do.

If not, remove the number plates and the council will take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

You could take off the registration plates and then phone the council.

+ A gallon of petrol and a box of matches! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

stevec wrote: »
    If not, remove the number plates and the council will take it.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Even the Guards 'Unofficially' said the council will remove the car with no number plate but as someone could own it - i.e. a scumbag neighbor I don't want to do that.

Even if Rab C nesbit is my neighbor I don't want to stoop to his level.
    It's amazing that nobody can trace an owner, for all the guards know it could have been used to transport a bomb....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Kildare Co Council will take abandoned UK reg cars, even if they still have reg plates. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Ring the customs guy's, tell them that there is an english reg'd car that has been the country for at least 9 months, they will tow it away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

skibum wrote: »
    Ring the customs guy's, tell them that there is an english reg'd car that has been the country for at least 9 months, they will tow it away :D

Customs will only take it if they can verify the owner is eligible to pay VRT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

will a UK HPI check reveal anything? maybe when it was last sold / taxed / mot'd? Might give a clue.

If a neighbour owns it then it's illegal anyway.
    Irish owner has to VRT it within 48hrs
    Non Irish owner has to either re-register it or take it out of the country after 3 months (I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Irish owner has to VRT it within 48hrs
    Next working day afaik :)
    Non Irish owner has to either re-register it or take it out of the country after 3 months (I think).
    Couldn't find anything which said "3 months", only references to "temporarily brought into the state", and "temporarily" is not defined.

That said, if you are here for 185 days in any one year, you are deemed to be "resident", so it would be reasonable to say that a car that's been here longer than 185 is not "temporarily" here.

I would contact revenue TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

egan007 wrote: »
    Even the Guards 'Unofficially' said the council will remove the car with no number plate but as someone could own it - i.e. a scumbag neighbor I don't want to do that.

Even if Rab C nesbit is my neighbor I don't want to stoop to his level.
    It's amazing that nobody can trace an owner, for all the guards know it could have been used to transport a bomb....

Just do it discretely at night, the plates pull off very easily, call the council. Don't need to leave your name or number.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

if a car is parked on a path its illegally parked and the guards should take it if it parked on a road and you have to cross the the white line say, it's illegally parked and the guards have to take it. the reason they don't/won't could be because there's no money being made in fines /auction
    any guards out there want to confirm deny?
    even if you park your own car in the above two situations outside your own house it's illegal the reason is your causeing an obstruction to pedetrians as they hold priority over cars and if its on the road it's causing an obstruction to other road users. is there anyway of getting into the car and pushing it into the middle of the road they should move then.
    Joe duffy had this topic a while ago (dec)and thats the answer he got from the cops

seamus wrote: »
    Next working day afaik :)
    Couldn't find anything which said "3 months", only references to "temporarily brought into the state", and "temporarily" is not defined.
    I wasn't sure on the time limit - it's 1 year:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1992/en/si/0384.html
    (1) A vehicle which is brought temporarily into the State by a visitor and which

( a ) is for the time being licensed in the country of normal residence of the owner of the vehicle in accordance with the relevant legal vehicle licensing provisions in place in the country concerned, and

( b ) is duly registered and displays registration plates in compliance with the regulations for the time being in force in the country concerned,

shall be exempt from motor vehicle duty during any ..... or for a period of three hundred and sixty-five days from the day on which the vehicle was brought into the State, whichever is the lesser.......

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wasn't sure on the time limit - it's 1 year

Both you and seamus are right :)

1 year for the car, 185 days for the owner

So if the owner still resides in the UK (this means he is in Ireland less than 185 days a year) he can leave his car here (in Ireland) for up to 1 year before having to register it

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

OP - Is the car locked? If not or if you can get into it, push it up on the kerb or in a position that would constitute as an obstruction by law then ring the guards/council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Recently, somebody near me took the plates off a car which was abandoned and towed it half a mile and left it outside a local council yard. It was lifted within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dublin City Council have been known to remove 'derelict' vehicles. I think they normally issue a notice to the owner to shift it first and this is where the problem seems to be. So bloke was unfortunate to go on holidays for three weeks and leave his unrestored 'classic' (that may have been a very generous description) on the road.

I understand you can buy the owner's details from the DVLA for something like £2.50. Got credit card?

Torching it is not the way to go. Fire spreads unpredictably.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Victor wrote: »
    Torching it is not the way to go. Fire spreads unpredictably.
    Aside from that fact that if someone sees you setting the thing alight you'll be in court for arson, the fire will also spread all sorts of foul smelling smoke and soot and ****e all over the street and also damage the roadway and/or grass verge for years to come.

The 10 year old child in you wants to do it, but it's not worth the hassle.

Advertisement