Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The joys of Eircom - Read and laugh

Options
  • 25-02-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all love the forum.

Couple of weeks ago My eircom connection went down for about 14 days, i was told there was a problem at the exchange and my line was plugged into the wrong port( along those lines ).
    They said it would be fixed within 4 days as it was a mistake by one of their engineers. About 10 phonecalls later i found out the only problem was my login had been changed.. The day they told me this a engineer had visited my house , and he was unable to turn on my computer and type in my username/password. He also told me he didnt no what the return key was on the keyboard. Naturally i found this quite bizarre just judging from my past experience of eircom i was not totally surprised.

Another problem is iv been paying for a 2 mb home connection for over a year, while my line is clearly cut off at 1 mb in the router page. 1024/128 max. My line has been tested several times by there " technical helpers " and it can handle 8 mb + . My attenuation is only 9/8 db, possibly the best anyone could hope for.

After many more calls , and trying to explain to them it was THERE fault that my line was stuck on 1 mb, i had to put in a offical complaint. I just could not take any more of there ignorance and stupidity. I have been consulted about this matter, and they have breached the T&Cs of my contract for the past year.
    I could talk about them all day as there has been even worse incidents between myself and " Eircon " in the past , but this is the most recent.

Feel free to discuss :) Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

i might be wrong but doesn't attenuation of 9/8 db suck? mine's 51/34 which is good.

i love eircom techies too, i know most by their first name at this stage, never really solve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

i might be wrong but doesn't attenuation of 9/8 db suck? mine's 51/34 which is good.

i love eircom techies too, i know most by their first name at this stage, never really solve anything.

No. It's the reverse. Your attenuation sucks.:p

haha, really? can ya explain?

i thought it was a log scale so 3 db means half etc...
    51 - 34 =17 db which i assumed is a strong snr.
    there's prob a thread about this somewhere, might have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lower attenuation = better ( less noise on your line )
    mine is 9/8 db because the exchange is directly outside my house :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I guess Eircom are like any other company, you have good people and people who are not so good. I think you'll find that in any institution. Fortunately the Eircom crew in my area are spot on as I never seem to experience any problems with them and if there is a problem its solved that day.

For DSL stats interpretation see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I had the same problem with eircom. The line was running at exactly 1mb instead of 3mb. They told me that without a doubt the problem is at my end. I had to contact them about 10/11 times before they would finally check it out completely when they noticed the problem was at their end.

When broadband was first introduced to my area it kept constantly disconnecting every-so-often and took a while to come back up. This went on for a month.

I contacted eircom tech support who told me there was nothing wrong on their end that it must be a problem on my end. I knew one of the eircom guys working in the exchange I was getting my broadband from and he told me they were having major difficulties with the equipment in the exchange which was causing the problems I was experiencing.

I contacted eircom back again and asked for a refund for that month (€54.99). They said they would put it in for approval.

Next bill came - no refund. Rang again. The operator told me there was no record of the claim. She said she would put it through again.

Next bill - no refund. So I contacted eircom again and told them I would not pay €54.99 off of my bill as that is what I am owed. The operator said there was no record of my claim and he would put it through again.

A couple of weeks later they disconnected my line. Had to pay the money they owed me to reconnect it.

18 months later I get a call from "escalations". The guy on the phone asking me what the problem was which I told him. He said I should have dealt with it sooner as they have no log files for back then to verify my claim :confused: I explained to him that I am waiting 18 months to get a refund. After much arguing and him blaming me for not requesting the refund sooner (?) he gave me a two month refund.

The problem is from what I have heard - the rest are just as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

nuxxx wrote: »
    lower attenuation = better ( less noise on your line )
    mine is 9/8 db because the exchange is directly outside my house :cool:

:rolleyes: Mines 5/3 but the exchange is 100m up the road :cool:

haha, really? can ya explain?

i thought it was a log scale so 3 db means half etc...
    51 - 34 =17 db which i assumed is a strong snr.
    there's prob a thread about this somewhere, might have a look.

I think you're mixing up SNR and attenuation.

SNR - Higher = better.
    Attenuation - Lower = better.

i always assumed that the attenuation value was (signal strength / signal loss ) or somethin along those lines,

is it actually ( attenuation downstream / attenuation upstream ) ?
    mine being ( 51 / 34 )...sucks!
    feck it anyway!

i always assumed that the attenuation value was (signal strength / signal loss ) or somethin along those lines,

is it actually ( attenuation downstream / attenuation upstream ) ?
    mine being ( 51 / 34 )...sucks!
    feck it anyway!

Thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

We had dealings with them for months and months. kept constantly losing DSL sync. Especially bad during windy periods. They kept coming out, checking the wiring and insisting it was an internal problem. We finally relented and got the house rewired. The problem persisted. Eircom techie came out (the 8th visit from eircom about this issue), was stumped as to what the issue was, but he said he'd change the cable going from the telephone pole to our house.

The DSL has been working perfectly fine since :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Not since the broadband problems thread in the IrelandOffline forum have I heard of such intolerable nonsense from a company.

The best way to deal with that is to complain as loudly as possible, preferably in a way that costs them customers. Writing an official letter of complaint, and sending a copy of the letter to ComReg will be of use, especially if there's problems with an existing connection which eircom won't help with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jinxy

umm, if you had friends you could go outside and hang out with them instead of worrying about the internet?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jinxy wrote: »
    umm, if you had friends you could go outside and hang out with them instead of worrying about the internet?!

Excellent ironing for a first post.

That old 'line was plugged into the wrong port' excuse is the standard excuse eircom give for everything, apart from the all-time classics 'do you live near an electric fence?' or 'has it been raining?'.

Complain to ComReg in writing. They have to do something then.

Advertisement