Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol efficiency

Options
  • 25-02-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was thinking of getting a 1.0 engine to save money on tax and petrol. I will mainly be doing city driving but I live out in Donabate so I will also be hitting a long country road and also the M1 into town. Now, a mate said I might actually get better MPG from a 1.2.
    Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hi,
    I was thinking of getting a 1.0 engine to save money on tax and petrol. I will mainly be doing city driving but I live out in Donabate so I will also be hitting a long country road and also the M1 into town. Now, a mate said I might actually get better MPG from a 1.2.
    Any comments?

have a look at the specifications of the 1.0 car you are interested in and a 1.2 car you might be interested in and compare the mpg figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I would occasionally do a commute to my old job in my wife's 1.2 Ibiza. From Drogheda to Sandyford (and in reverse) it would average out around 33mpg. My Octavia 1.8T was doing the same journey at 39mpg.

Probably depends on the amount of Motorway you have to cover at speed. Main reason for the consumption above was probably the 20 miles on the M1 at 70mph. Octavia is around 3,000rpm at that speed, but the Ibiza was close to 4,500rpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    have a look at the specifications of the 1.0 car you are interested in and a 1.2 car you might be interested in and compare the mpg figures.
    Cheers but I am buying second hand, and not sure what make I am getting. So my question is more a general one.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I would occasionally do a commute to my old job in my wife's 1.2 Ibiza. From Drogheda to Sandyford (and in reverse) it would average out around 33mpg. My Octavia 1.8T was doing the same journey at 39mpg.

Probably depends on the amount of Motorway you have to cover at speed. Main reason for the consumption above was probably the 20 miles on the M1 at 70mph. Octavia is around 3,000rpm at that speed, but the Ibiza was close to 4,500rpm.
    Wow that's very interesting.
    Do you have a web link for that stats or did you get them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Wow that's very interesting.
    Do you have a web link for that stats or did you get them yourself?

Figures are actual from the cars on-board computers.

• Advertisement

Figures are actual from the cars on-board computers.

Very impressive. Cheers. I am bit lost with all this stuff. I have been a cyclist and been sort of playing catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I would occasionally do a commute to my old job in my wife's 1.2 Ibiza. From Drogheda to Sandyford (and in reverse) it would average out around 33mpg.

Generally because of the gearing ratio and various other factors, you will get poor MPG driving in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Check out www.parkers.co.uk for MPG figures on used (and new) cars

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

javaboy wrote: »
    Generally because of the gearing ratio and various other factors, you will get poor MPG driving in reverse.

*bad working mans club drumroll*

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

javaboy wrote: »

lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement