Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving without Tax in the UK

Options
  • 25-02-2008 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

When looking for cars in the UK, (particularly older ones) I've often come accross a few that have an MOT but no Tax.

As I'd be buying to go straight to the Ferry, what kind of chances would I be taking driving without tax. i.e. Just picking teh car up from teh seller and driving straight to Holyhead.

If I was to get stopped by the cops, could (and would) they sieze the car ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

STG £60 fine.

I drove mine back with no UK tax & got away with it, the customs guys in Fishguard did mention it though, didn't get too excited about it when I told them I was exporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

STG £60 fine.

I drove mine back with no UK tax & got away with it, the customs guys in Fishguard did mention it though, didn't get too excited about it when I told them I was exporting it.

Use your head. Tell them you had it trailered to the port.

I got stopped with no tax by an unmarked car, turned out I had passed a static camera that checked road tax. I had everything including insurance proof, licence, V5, receipt from sell the ferry ticket ready and he let me off.

He did mention that it took him a while to catch up, which wasn't surprising as I was eating road at a rate of 1.3 leptons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

when I bought my Passat the dealer made me sign a form stating I knew it had no tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Drove a car from Kent to Liverpool recently with no UK tax and there were no problems. Didn't see any customs at Birkenhead.

There were truck drivers being pulled in outside the port in Belfast by guys in yellow jackets-not sure if these were customs or what.

On a side issue, someone I know maintains that it's much cheaper to tax a car in the UK and if you do, it is valid in Ireland.

Dunno about the first part, but I reckon the second part is a load of nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I had heard of those cameras alright but I wasn't sure if they were in full use or just on trial somewhere.

As it would be mostly Motorway driving to Holyhead, what are the chances of me getting caught by one, and then getting a pr1ck of a Cop who breaks my balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    On a side issue, someone I know maintains that it's much cheaper to tax a car in the UK and if you do, it is valid in Ireland.

That's a load of brown stuff, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

klaus23 wrote: »
    I had everything including insurance proof, licence, V5, receipt from sale, the ferry ticket ready

I'd say that you'd be fine if you have all this stuff.

I'd also probably add proof of MOT to the list, and it would be good if the tyres weren't obviously illegal and all the lights worked, so you don't look like you are taking the p155.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

Drove mine from Mansfield to Stranraer with no tax, no problems on the way or at the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Did it last year, calculated the risk was only 60 squid if I was going to have a problem. Got pulled in at Holyhead port but they never even asked about tax, only interested in the MOT and receipt and movements for the day. That said I read in another post on boards about a guy that got done at Stranraer so I guess its all in how you handle your situation and how pernickity the guy that is dealing with you is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Did it at least 15 times last year, driving cars back to Holyhead and Pembroke from all over the UK.No bother, never stopped once.I guess its at the policemans discretion, but if you just explain that you are exporting the car and it will be gone out of the UK in a matter of hours, i'm sure he will let you on your way..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

ANPR cameras are now widely used by police forces across the UK. Many forces now run regular roadside checks to search for no tax/insurance/licence, stolen cars and drivers with warrants, etc.

No idea what chance you would have of being caught but like the previous poster if you could prove you just bought the car, were non-resident and were on the way to the ferry to export it and made a point of being honest and polite with them I would say you would be very unlucky to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

alo1587 wrote: »
    Did it at least 15 times last year, driving cars back to Holyhead and Pembroke from all over the UK.No bother, never stopped once.I guess its at the policemans discretion, but if you just explain that you are exporting the car and it will be gone out of the UK in a matter of hours, i'm sure he will let you on your way..
    Got a TAN, yeah? ;)

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Got a TAN, yeah? ;)

Yeah, have a TAN,but just having a TAN won't cover you for driving with no tax in the UK.Will help you if stopped by customs at the port alright.Trade plates would cover for no tax, but i didnt have them last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

UK trade plates or export plates are required where a car is not taxed.

The standard fine for no road tax is £80 stg. Be very careful if you stop on any public road for something to eat etc as the DVLA clamp parked cars for not having road tax. They roam the streets looking for untaxed cars. It will cost you £200 to get unclamped. They won't buy excuses that you are exporting the car, they will tell you to get a set of export plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

How do you get export plates?

How do you get export plates?

Export plates (ZZ plates) can be got from the Automobile Association (AA)

Advertisement