Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning after builders

Options
  • 25-02-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a cleaning product to clean tiles and wooden floors after builders/ plasterers? Ive cleanes both rooms about 10 times and there it is STILL drying a grey film over the floors.... Dont want to use anything too abrasive on the wooden floors..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

if the tiles have grout on them you may need santex( not semtex ha ha ) and if your using it apply with a squeezy bottle (windolene bottle) make sure it clean, you dont want to mix chemicals and wear gloves it's an acid and it will burn your fingers clean the floor in stages 2ft sq say and make sure you get all the chemical up ... oh yea and dont spray it near anything stainless or it'll turn it brown. as for the wooden floor just keep mopping it up it sounds like skim coat plaster which is a very fine dust if the water is dirty (with the plaster) your just pushing the dust around the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

the GALL wrote: »
    santex
    Santrax is probably what you are thinking of. Before you use this try it on a tile not on general view just in case it has a bad reaction & stains it further. I wouldn't use this on wooden floors though.

teflon - Have you thought of hiring an industrial vacuum cleaner to run over your place first. I found it invaluable when I was cleaning up my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

I cleaned most of it up last night with....furniture polish! It took AGES but iuts getting there. The tilers should be finishing up today so I can give it a full clean then...

Its back breaking though!

Umm. Ok how do I get excess ivory grout from ceramic tiles? Would Vinegar and a scourer work?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

After the plasterers left my house, it was just a case of washing and drying the wooden floors downstairs everyday for about 2 weeks and they eventually lost the grey look

But i hate to say this, but i wasnt so looky up stairs. The bedrooms had orginal flooring which i had sanded and varnished myself, i never got them clean again, i just carpeted over them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

??? Builders should leave house clean after them, bring them back. But tiles and timber floors shouldn't be put down until builder is finished, so if you put them down before builder finished, hard luck.

blindman wrote: »
    ??? Builders should leave house clean after them, bring them back. But tiles and timber floors shouldn't be put down until builder is finished, so if you put them down before builder finished, hard luck.
    So if the poster had carpets down and the builder ruined them that would be his tough luck, I dont think so. If you still have monies owed to the builder/plasterer, you could hold back cost of cleaning products and labour. You shouldn't pay a contractor until your happy 100% with his/her work and that includes his mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

the GALL wrote: »
    So if the poster had carpets down and the builder ruined them that would be his tough luck, I dont think so. If you still have monies owed to the builder/plasterer, you could hold back cost of cleaning products and labour. You shouldn't pay a contractor until your happy 100% with his/her work and that includes his mess.

If the customer gets a carpet fitted before the builder has handed over the property the customer deserves a ruined carpet. ( I maintain the view that builders dirt does not come out of carpets). However if a builder takes on a job where a good carpet is already fitted the customer should discuss who is responsible for keeping carpet clean. Given that building is a dirty game it might be cheaper to replace the carpet than for the builder to charge for the extra weeks spent keeping a carpet clean.
    I regularly see people fitting items like fireplaces, floorboards, mirrors, curtains and blinds, floorboards, carpets, skirtings, doors and fitted kitchens before house is cleaned out and painted.

Guys thanks for all the posts but I think we are going way off point here. You are assuming that I am about to move into a new house and got ahead of myself and had floors/carpets fitted before the builder was finished. That is not the case. The house was built some time in the 30's and I was having my bathroom completely remodeled so got a builder in who left quite a mess when he left because i had to sack him. The job is done now but there was alot of plaster dust and tiling dust in the air and all over the floorboards and I was looking for a recommendation for some cleaning products.

Most of it is gone now so thanks for all the suggestions..;)

blindman wrote: »
    If the customer gets a carpet fitted before the builder has handed over the property the customer deserves a ruined carpet. ( I maintain the view that builders dirt does not come out of carpets). However if a builder takes on a job where a good carpet is already fitted the customer should discuss who is responsible for keeping carpet clean. Given that building is a dirty game it might be cheaper to replace the carpet than for the builder to charge for the extra weeks spent keeping a carpet clean.
    I regularly see people fitting items like fireplaces, floorboards, mirrors, curtains and blinds, floorboards, carpets, skirtings, doors and fitted kitchens before house is cleaned out and painted.
    we're singin off the same sheet brother..... just not the same song:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement