Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Debadging Golf mk4

Options
  • 25-02-2008 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

After taking "golf" lettering of back of car and very happy with it but what is involved in taking the VW emblem off the back? better getting it pro-done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Start by saying good move i debadged my old golf and have de badged my new bora,makes them a real sleeper as people dont know what engine you have and automatically assume its a 1.4 when they see none-silly people!

If you remove the VW sign you are left with a recess that will have to be fille and the whole tail gate resprayed.

A simple solution is to order a rear sharan badge from your local VW dealer it fits the recess perfectly(The current golf VW badge is much much bigger than than the recess) but before you stick the sharan badge i recommend colour coding it,i did this on the golf and it looked well,alas the sharan badge wont fit boras!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

From what I know you have to cut metal piece to fill the recess and then weld it in place, sand it all down nice and flush and then respray. I'd love to get it down but would be costly enough.

Some inspiration :)

leftcoastvw2.jpg
    newpics188.jpg?t=1177640752
    100_0313.jpg
    newpics187.jpg?t=1177640791
    gti4.jpg
    IMG_3650.jpg
    back_corner.jpg
    DSC04551.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

When you took off the golf badge did you have to spray where the letters came off? id love to take mine off two but its a 99 so worried that the colour would be dif where the golf badge comes off...

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

that looks gorgeous doesnt it! lack the skills to do it myself, saw somewhere on the internet that you could get it done for less than €100, hopefully so. looking at getting the emblem itself blacked out. Also waht do you think of the price of these lights, work out near 200. havent seen them in any if the shops around

Vain when i took the golf/bora badges off i didnt have to spray anything start off with a hairdryer to warm up the glue then get some sewing thread (double it up to make it stronger),put the thread behind the letters (one at a time) and cut downwards in a sawing fashion the letters will fall off no bothers,you then might have to heat the remaining glue up and pick it off with your fingers,then get some hot water and washing up liquid to remove the remaining glue,you will find even though you think you have removed it all there is still some there and will only show up when the car is dirty and you can see the outline of the old letters,some tar remover will sort that out.

Ive done 2 cars now and have had no bother.

ustari those lights are GTI,comfortline,R32 spec tailights the are common as muck at this stage and available for alot cheaper than 200!! be imaginative and go for something a little different there are loads of hella tailights to choose from.

• Advertisement

i know they are the spec on those models but i havent found anything that i think would look better on a black golf, any suggestions yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Wish I was a focus!!!!!!!

focus? eh cheers

Either US spec rears

IMG_3650.jpg

or

Euro spec rears

dsc00584ud6.jpg

Heres a pic of my old golf with the rear sharan badge colour coded!

dsc01252en2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

If I had a Ferrari the first thing I'd do is get rid of the horse emblem. Then I'd prise off the lettering....

...or maybe not.

Perhaps you shouldn't have bought a Golf.

I saw a Bora recently that someone had added a T to the end with a perfectly matchng letter. Looked great.

• Advertisement

so i shouldnt buy a car because there is a couple of things i don't like about it? then people should never do anything to alter the appearence of their car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

There's a OEM VW badge for the front and rear that's black if it suits what your after. Got one for the front of my golf. I'll try and dig out the site I bought it from

im after buying a black emblem there on e bay but if u could find it it would be great, thanks in advance

blackbox wrote: »
    If I had a Ferrari the first thing I'd do is get rid of the horse emblem. Then I'd prise off the lettering....

...or maybe not.

Perhaps you shouldn't have bought a Golf.

I saw a Bora recently that someone had added a T to the end with a perfectly matchng letter. Looked great.

Whats your point?

there is a big difference between the golf lettering on a golf and the prancing horse,the pramcing horse is the stuff of motiring legend and to take one off would be crazy,i would say the same if someone was looking to debadge a VW beetle or MK1 GTI.

Taking the lettering/badge of a MK4 golf etc is different though i happen to thing the badging on the golf looks horrible as it does on most modern cars,a de badged boot always look cleaner.plus there is always the added fun of poeple not knowing what engine you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Might be a silly question but why would you want to take the badge off your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Might be a silly question but why would you want to take the badge off your car?

You just saved me asking the same question :D

because i think it looks better. is that ok with you?

I said it before and ill say it again
    i happen to thing the badging on the golf looks horrible as it does on most modern cars,a de badged boot always look cleaner.plus there is always the added fun of poeple not knowing what engine you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isn't it a bit strange that they don't put a 1.4 badge on the 1.4?

• Advertisement

Kind of strange but the fact they dont is a badge in a way,it helps us who like to de-badge too,suits me down to the ground if people are under the impression im driving a 1.4 bora! :D

Advertisement