Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Call

• 25-02-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭

i dont listen to this that often but is it true that the hse have pulled the advertising from newstalk over this show?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

One more reason to listen to Newstalk if that is true. And it shows the HSE for being really petty if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Didn't hear that about the advertising. But I know Brenda Power, in the slot they do where she contacts various organisations to try sort people's problems, had a confrontation with the HSE over one particular woman's problem in relation to care for her two children.

It didn't strike me as the type of public campaign the HSE would be particularly enamoured with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Brendan started ringing people in the HSE directly, live on air, imcluding Brendan Drum and their press officer, who lit up. HSE has now put a press embargo and pulled all adverts from Newstalk. Twas in the Indo on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I don't blame them.

Thats no way to do business,merely a way to try and
    boost the ratings and up the 'tabloidasion' of Newstalk.

If somebody from Newstalk and Your Call rang me directly on air
    I would tell them in no uncertain terms to go and f***k themselves.

get a bit real here .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I don't blame them.

Thats no way to do business,merely a way to try and
    boost the ratings and up the 'tabloidasion' of Newstalk.

If somebody from Newstalk and Your Call rang me directly on air
    I would tell them in no uncertain terms to go and f***k themselves.

get a bit real here .

They don't just ring out of the blue though. When they finally do get somone to answer the phone, that person would be expecting the phone call and would know what issue they're about to be quizzed on.

And if they did intentionally catch someone off guard, I can guarantee that it was because no answer/response was available from the HSE the previous 20 times they'd called.

I think that the HSE move was in response to Newstalk's 'Health Famine' yoke they did last week. Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

don't know about that, the HSE spokesman said they were ringing junior members of staff. must have been bad enough if they pulled all co-operation.

the health famine thing is a joke. What the Hell is a "health famine"????

Perhaps everyone in Newstalk will become public patients, you know, just to do their bit to prevent the two tier system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

God love the HSE, they're normally used to fobbing off the sick and the vulnerable without anyone knowing.

A lot of brilliant HSE people working in the front line treating patients but it must have been a terrible wake up call for the hugely expensive top heavy management to asking them questions on behalf of particular listeners who've been hitting brick walls for months even years before a radio station asks on their behalf.

The HSE is spending my tax money on public service announcements, don't think they should play politics with my money.

Bizarre, makes the HSE management look even more petty and incompetent than I thought they were before. Just give the public the answers and information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

I have to say I'm a big fan of Newstalk, and it's what I listen to in the mornings but I've started turning off Your Call because I can't take one more day of this HSE rubbish. While I know it's a huge issue I really feel she's exploited it for all it's worth, her intros to each show have become more tabloid in nature and she's trying to drum up some sort of national reaction so she can be at the forefront of the campaign for change. It's disgusting, yes people need to voice their opinion but this is purely for ratings and building the ego of a very poor, substandard radio presenter.

I'm not sticking up for the HSE in anyway, I think the state of our health system is a disgrace but I don't appreciate her agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

I wouldn't normally be in favour of ambush-type telephone tactics by broadcasters. However, the HSE has to be one most arrogant organisations out there, a body that feels it is unanswerable to anyone. Therefore, my sympathies very much lie with Newstalk in this instance. The HSE is entitled to advertising with whoever it wants. That I don't have a problem with. What I do object to is its reported threat to simply stop supplying a broadcaster with press releases. As a public body, which is owned by all of us, I don't think it should be allowed carry through with this threat. This is anti-democratic and again smacks of the height of arrogance. If it happens, I hope Newstalk will have grounds to sue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

I like Newstalk and I like Brenda Power and her show.

A couple of months before she started phoning organisations after the 10am news I was interviewed on her show about a serious matter that affected my son. That story ran for a few days and I was finally able to get closure.

Some people may go on about tabloid journalism and ratings, well so what if it benefits the radio station as long as it has helped the caller then it's a win win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

Well, I love Newstalk, but I can't stand Brenda Power or her show. Luckily I am usually working so I don't hear it but I heard it a few times last week during the height of the HSE-hassling.
    My views on this are a bit mixed.

On the plus side, I would have to grudgingly commend her for following up on some very simple issues and not allowing herself to be fobbed off. There is a place for that kind of tough journalism and it is good to see just how unprepared the organisations like the HSE are to answer pretty straightforward questions. The mechanisms they have put in place (contacting press offices etc) are designed to deter questions and avoid answers. Frankly it is quite disgusting that an office that we are paying for is answerable to nobody. Literally, nobody.

However, the "live on air" aspect was crap. She has no right to put anyone (even someone whose salary is paid by our taxes) "live on air" - it amounts to bullying in my opinion and it devalues what she is trying to achieve. At one point she phoned a junior minister whose voicemail was on. "Live on air" - you heard the automated voice say "the customer whose number is 0 8 7 ... (full number was called out) has their mobile switched off". Unbelievable. If it was me, I would have been furious.

The HSE seems to be a totally dysfunctional organisation. It needs a root and branch review. I can't see anything improving in the health service until this issue is addressed.

As far as I know TDs contact details are available and should be made available to the all of the electorate. They were voted in to represent people and as such should be available to be contacted by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I've not listened to this, as I don't listen to Newstalk very much.

I have to agree with nevey's points, except for "that kind of tough journalism", I don't think its that tough really. Its grandstanding, in the Paul Willliams/Sunday World kinda of way. Its attention seeking.

In response to deisemum, I'm glad that you got your son's problem highlighted and sorted, it shows that this can have some effect, yet its a sad day where a health service has to operate on a badgering campaign. A radio station or a presenter in itself won't fix everyone's individual issues.

IMHO, I think its very disheartening for the thousands of health care professionals and workers to hear and read in the media every day something bad about the work they do. I'm not saying its all sweetness and light and a bed of roses, but people seem to have a mindset now that they are going to have a bad experience when they get healthcare, I do not know what it can do to moral of those who work there.

Amz wrote: »
    As far as I know TDs contact details are available and should be made available to the all of the electorate. They were voted in to represent people and as such should be available to be contacted by them.

That's fair enough but surely they have a right to a private life? If their private mobile number was given out on air that is in my mind going too far. They are not public property 24/7 and should not be subjected to having their private information given out to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

Wheels wrote: »
    That's fair enough but surely they have a right to a private life? If their private mobile number was given out on air that is in my mind going too far. They are not public property 24/7 and should not be subjected to having their private information given out to the public.

Patients shouldn't be left sitting in a chair or lying on a trolley in a dirty A&E for hours, possibly days, on end. That's the real injustice, not some politician's phone number going out on air. Sorry, but a patient's right to dignity and respect is far greater than a politician's right to privacy. Let's get our priorities right here.

If the phone call had been made at 2am I could see your point, but 10am on a weekday morning, normal office hours, is hardly a huge infringement on someone's private life.

All of that information is in the public domain and broadcasting it hardly breaches privacy laws.

Technically they are public property (obviously there are certain limitations) but being asked to respond to queries from the voting public is hardly beyond the remit of a public representative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

The health professionals themselves are coming on air to tell the public how bad it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

What's the problem,(or the point even), with giving out their mobile numbers. It seems the fcuking things are turned off all the time anyway.

I was listening yesterday when she finally caught up with Sean Haughey and he was comfortably able to answer the questions she put to him. It begs the question, who really decides whether or not to answer the questions, the Minister or his (so called) Civil Service henchmen. I think it shows just how close the "Yes Minister" series was to the truth.

If the phone call had been made at 2am I could see your point, but 10am on a weekday morning, normal office hours, is hardly a huge infringement on someone's private life.

So any of the nut jobs that take down the number won't call him after hours?

A nut job doesn't exactly need to hear the number on the radio if they're going to make that type of phone call. Like I said, nearly all of this contact information is already in the public domain so she wasn't in breach of any privacy laws by broadcasting the number.

If a nut job, as you put it, wants to get in touch with, or hassle a TD for any reason then they'll find a way of doing so they don't need the help of a radio show to do it.

If you don't want people to call you on your moblie after hours, now this is a new concept to a lot of people and may be difficult to comprehend, but TURN IT OFF!

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    The health professionals themselves are coming on air to tell the public how bad it is.

The health professionals themselves are the main cause of the problem,won't accept change.

Its all very well and fine to spout ad infinitum about the inefficiencies of the HSE but when people won't budge from their previously entrenched positions, well ,to my way of thinking ,they are part of the problem.

Like I said, nearly all of this contact information is already in the public domain so she wasn't in breach of any privacy laws by broadcasting the number.

Is that true? What is Bertie's number so? And where would I find Mary Harney's mobile number? I'd love a quick chat with her.

A nut job doesn't exactly need to hear the number on the radio if they're going to make that type of phone call. Like I said, nearly all of this contact information is already in the public domain so she wasn't in breach of any privacy laws by broadcasting the number.

If a nut job, as you put it, wants to get in touch with, or hassle a TD for any reason then they'll find a way of doing so they don't need the help of a radio show to do it.

If you don't want people to call you on your moblie after hours, now this is a new concept to a lot of people and may be difficult to comprehend, but TURN IT OFF!

Rubbish, anyone listening with a gripe that hears and takes down the number would be likely to call. Most wouldn't go to the other of doing it otherwise. My point is it's incredibly irresponsible. Brenda wouldn't appreciate her own number being made public, I for one would love to get it so I could tell her what a muppet she is.

Exactly.. and I'd ring up Ger Gilroy and ask him why the fcuk he talks in a staccato tone and see the reaction.

There's a way of doing thing and a way of doing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Rubbish, anyone listening with a gripe that hears and takes down the number would be likely to call. Most wouldn't go to the other of doing it otherwise. My point is it's incredibly irresponsible. .

Well if the **** has it switched off at 10am it will most likely be off at 2am.

Rubbish, anyone listening with a gripe that hears and takes down the number would be likely to call. Most wouldn't go to the other of doing it otherwise. My point is it's incredibly irresponsible. Brenda wouldn't appreciate her own number being made public, I for one would love to get it so I could tell her what a muppet she is.
    You can call, text and email Brenda Power any day of the week to tell her that.

Politicians are there to represent and work for the electorate. If someone has an issue that a politician is best capable of dealing with, then it's a bit much for them to be aggrieved by the receipt of a phone call no matter what time they receive it.

They're in the wrong job if they're not prepared to deal with the electorate and the people whose interests they supposedly represent.

Politicians are there to represent and work for the electorate. If someone has an issue that a politician is best capable of dealing with, then it's a bit much for them to be aggrieved by the receipt of a phone call no matter what time they receive it.

They're in the wrong job if they're not prepared to deal with the electorate and the people whose interests they supposedly represent.

You still haven't told me where I can get a direct number for an elected TD. You said it was in the public domain. For example, on the PD website, an landline number is given for Mary Harney. Not her mobile.

Would you not agree that if we all had the ability to call our TDs directly by phone that they would never get any work done. Being answerable to the public doesn't mean having to take direct calls from the public at any hour of the day or night.

I still think that letting that mobile number be broadcast represents a gross lack of professionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Wow! Now that's a new concept. I wouldn't go around spouting radical opinions like that in public, if I were you.:D

nevey wrote: »
    You still haven't told me where I can get a direct number for an elected TD. You said it was in the public domain. For example, on the PD website, an landline number is given for Mary Harney. Not her mobile.
    I wasn't asked to provide such information.
    Would you not agree that if we all had the ability to call our TDs directly by phone that they would never get any work done. Being answerable to the public doesn't mean having to take direct calls from the public at any hour of the day or night.
    Would you not agree that calling said minister on their mobile at 10am was probably a last resort when all other avenues had been exhausted?

Was it not a Junior Minister in fact?

Our ministers, as we see daily, are answerable to nobody, they deserve to be kept on their toes a bit and maybe they'll start doing what they're elected to do, represent the interests of the electorate.

It seems to me that ringing a minister at any time of the day, via mobile or landline is a gross inconvenience to them.
    I still think that letting that mobile number be broadcast represents a gross lack of professionalism.
    So perhaps it would be a concern you could raise with Newstalk and/or the BCI.

• Advertisement

I wasn't asked to provide such information.
    Yes you were. I asked you that a few posts ago, right after you said
    Amz wrote:
    Like I said, nearly all of this contact information is already in the public domain so she wasn't in breach of any privacy laws by broadcasting the number.
    And now I'm asking you again, to kindly tell us where the private mobile numbers of ministers and/or junior ministers are available.
    Amz wrote:
    Would you not agree that calling said minister on their mobile at 10am was probably a last resort when all other avenues had been exhausted?
    Yes, and I believe I did support the idea of making ministers answerable. My point is that while I believe that what Your Call are trying to do was well-intentioned, the execution was ham-fisted and amateurish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Forget about this 'Health Famine' thing that Newstalk were on about. Some guy mentioned a 'Time Famine' this morning on the same station! Expect more of the same....I'm not sure how they'll do it but I'm sure Brenda will have some 'clever' idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

deisemum wrote: »

I heard that one of the proposed terms of the new consultants' contract under discussion would have placed an embargo on health professionals discussing health system related problems publically. Does anyone know any details on this ? If what I heard is correct that tells us a lot about the HSE.

Incidentally, who exactly are the HSE ? Are they the old health boards ?

Advertisement