Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asp.net vs other languanges

Options
  • 25-02-2008 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hey,

i'm trying to find some sites that compare .net to other languages and explains the main difference between it and them.

also i'm finding it hard to understand all these hosting sites that i've been looking at. i'm trying to find some that do have .net support and a cost.
    do they all break it down to per month costs and bandwidth issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Trebor wrote: »
    Hey,

i'm trying to find some sites that compare .net to other languages and explains the main difference between it and them.

also i'm finding it hard to understand all these hosting sites that i've been looking at. i'm trying to find some that do have .net support and a cost.
    do they all break it down to per month costs and bandwidth issues?

ASP.net is probably better defined as a framework, with C#, VB.net etc as the actual languages. PHP is very popular - there have been some statistics mentioned here before - it seems to be very dominant. I thought it was primarily a scripting language, but it is apparently more object orientated than that.

With regards to the hosting - yes, you should be told the bandwidth allowed, and what features you get. Two big Irish players are Blacknight and Hosting365. Check out their sites and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

Asp.net v Classic asp

here and here

Asp.net V PHP

here and here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

cheers, they were quite good at explaining the differences which to my reading seem to be little..

it seems to come down to which one you prefer using. oh well, i'm suppose to be advocating asp.net for this report so will use the bits i got for that. cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

cheers, they were quite good at explaining the differences which to my reading seem to be little..

it seems to come down to which one you prefer using. oh well, i'm suppose to be advocating asp.net for this report so will use the bits i got for that. cheers!

There's certainly a big difference between ASP and ASP.net - don't know about the PHP though as I've never used it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Almost everything I have read comparing these things is always so biased as to skew the whole point of the writing. That guy Sean Hull from Oracle in the link above came under alot of fire for an article he wrote before that was completely biased towards php. Looking for the differences between these things is pointless as they all do essentially the same thing. i.e. allow you to manipulate content (along with getting the content from a database) before it gets sent to the user visiting your website.

The fact is imo that you chose what best suits your needs at the time. I happen to be a .net developer because over the last 10 years I have spent in web development I eventually settled on .net purely because the environment I worked in facilitated microsoft tech.

Aside from that I did personally prefer .net to say php for various reasons but while I don't crusade to convert people from one technology to another it always irks me when people cite the wrong reasons for using one over the other.

The classic arguement for php is it is free and you can host it on a free operating system, i.e. linux but the average person trying to decide what to use probably has windows on their pc, will probably use a host that charges the same price for php and .net. If they are trying to decide at their company what to use then it will more than likely depend on what is available there.

Other arguements are often down to "Open Source", "Microsoft Hate" etc. which to me are completely meaningless when you are trying to decide what to use for the job at hand. It doesn't take long to dabble in all these things. Try some php, download Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express, read some tutorials. Soon you'll apreciate one more than the others for your own reasons. Some will seem like the natural solution for what you want to do.

Most hosts will have windows plans and linux plans which list what you get, asp.net, sql server or php and mysql.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

You can do many similar things with both, as mentioned by others, although with ASP/NET you can also do very specific Windows things.
    Today ASP is probably the second most popular language on web servers, since 35% of the webservers worldwide are now Windows IIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

i do understand that both can be used to do pretty much what ever you want. but the report i am writing says that i have to basically sell ASP.net but i still want to put in a comparison.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

i do understand that both can be used to do pretty much what ever you want. but the report i am writing says that i have to basically sell ASP.net but i still want to put in a comparison.

Well some of the strengths that I appreciate are:-

Seperation of code from html - all code can be placed in a seperate file to the html page which makes things nice and clean.
    Masterpages - Allows you to create a template with content areas defined. Then all pages you create can be linked to the masterpage and you only need concentrate on the content of that page.
    Template Controls - in particular the gridview and how quick and easy it is to link it to a data source, enable paging, editing etc. Also in code you can override the content within these controls to even further fine tune it. I'll leave out the fact that I only ever use the repeater these days.

Thats what comes to first to mind. Just don't ask me what I don't like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Another thing to consider is the skills available on the ground. Maintanence and support skills in particular. So if you're an MS house go with MS, if you a *nix house then go with php.

You also have to consider who's supporting your code and what skills they have should you be unavailable or leave the company.

Advertisement