Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm having a love affair

Options
  • 25-02-2008 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

With houmous!! Only recently discovered (how I've managed to live 30+ years & only discover it now is beyond me! :D) & I just can't seem to get enough of the stuff.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has a low fat recipe for it though? I'd love to try making it myself as I've only gotten the tubs in Lidl & Tescos, & their versions are quite calorific so a home made low fat equivalent would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Easiest thing in the world to make, and you can control exactly how much oil you add.

If you have a food processor, just add in a tin of chick peas, a couple of cloves of garlic, spices e.g. cumin, coriander, chilli powder to taste, and whizz it up, adding enough water as you go until it reaches the right consistency. Finally add lemon juice to taste. The oil is usually added as olive oil and tahini (sesame paste). You can leave these out altogether or just put in as much as you're happy with. The tahini especially is important for the flavour, but it's fine without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I make mine with yoghurt instead of olive oil for a low fat version.

I wouldn't agree with leaving the tahini and oil out. Fat is good in my book.
    And just in case you don't know....you should drain and wash the tinned chick peas first.

I think houmous tastes best with toasted wholemeal pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Thanking everyone! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

i only tried it for the first time the other day! I thought it was disgusting looking but actually tastes quite nice! the green version is good too, I like it on ryvita's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with leaving the tahini and oil out.

Nor would I! Just trying to help the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭marthaclark

just wait til you try falafel. (with mint yoghurt, cucumber and lettuce in a nice warm pitta. heaven)

i never knew chickpeas could be so good.

so so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

ooohhh you have to try the dunnes store one - its the best!!!:D

yum....

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Mmmmmmmm Marks and Spencer's hummous and mini falafels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i've tried a few recipes and have not yet found the perfect hummous recipe. Never tastes like the marks and sparks or tesco one :/ missinig a certain je ne sais quoi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Ooooh, get you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭marthaclark

i've tried a few recipes and have not yet found the perfect hummous recipe. Never tastes like the marks and sparks or tesco one :/ missinig a certain je ne sais quoi.

flavourings and preservatives? :p

i just don't trust tesco products!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

Another convert. Love it!!

I find tescos own brand the best of the bought ones. It is mega easy to make though. Would be reluctant to omit the tahini and easy does it on the lemon juice in my experience. Really nice if you use the oil from sundried tomatoes instead of olive oil.
    best served on wholemeal pittas with some applewood cheese and sweet chili sauce.

salivating just thinking of it!!

flavourings and preservatives? :p

i just don't trust tesco products!

i know i know... but whatever homemade stuff i end up with does taste quite different. mmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

salt and a tiny sprinkling of sugar......savage!!!
    Make your own all the way

Aha! A breakthrough in my household today. My mother seems to have found the perfect recipe. Quality spices (provided by Katyayani from her cookery couse - see thread) made all the difference. Bit thin still. Once it's 100% figured out, I shall have to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I've seen "Falafel spices" in some of the Asian stores recently, must try them sometime.
    Can't remember all the ingredients, but there were at least a few unusual ones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cunning-doll

Anyone tried the McDonnells version from fresh food shops? They do a regular and a chilli flavour, so chunky and very different from the supermarket ones but I love it! mmmmm I could eat nothing but hummous for the rest of my life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Mmmm I found this little cafe that does hummous thats just the way I like it, dont like the tesco or m n s one as its far too garlicy, tried making my own and it just turned out like ultra chunky peanut butter, same coulour too

Could you share the details? :)

• Advertisement

Peanut wrote: »
    Could you share the details? :)

Of the cafe or my hummous making skills?

The cafe is off angier street, its called sufis..gawd its soo good

My 'skills' involved chickpeas soaked overight, a food processor and some of the chickpea water to try get it into a paste before I added anything else..yea.. FAIL

Hmm was thinking the cafe but your hummus skillz are good too :)

Past by Sufis loads of times (usually on the way to Govindas lol) but never tried it, must give it a shot sometime..

It sounds like you might need a touch of olive oil or something to add to the blender, it might help get it smoother. Maybe also if you add tahini, the extra oil might not be needed.

When I was trying to make peanut butter I had the same prob, just adding a small bit of oil solved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭peaches79

oh my god- the cedar tree restaurant do the best hummous ever

nom nom nom....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

What do you eat your hummous with? Looking for an alternative to carrot sticks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Puddleduck wrote: »
    .... hummous ...., tried making my own and it just turned out like ultra chunky peanut butter, same coulour too
    Don't give up!
    I've been making my own hummus for almost a year and it's trial and error, really. This is what I put in the food processor for mine:
    1 tin of Chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
    1 desert spoon of Tahini
    1 or 2 desert spoons Olive Oil
    Juice of a small lemon
    1 desert spoon Cider Vinegar (optional, if you hate vinegar)
    Salt and Pepper

Just run the processor until it's all nice and smooth!

Sometimes I add a handful of basil or coriander or whatever herb you fancy, it adds that extra little taste. :)

It's great in a wrap, or a sandwich or on toast or any old how, tbh. :)

Thanks folks for all the help on how to make hummous!! Ill keep trying coz its the sexah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Try making it in stages and taste between each stage. Also I find the raw garlic can overpower the taste - blanche the garlic in boiling water for a few minutes before adding to the blender. Cumin is also very strong, so use sparingly. Lemon juice is fine, but don't be tempted to thin the mixture with it, use a drop of water if the paste is too thick.

Whatever brand you prefer, have a look at the ingredients and try copying the recipe.

Falafels are excellent and we are spoiled because our local supermarkets sell really good falafels. But years ago I tried to make them. The recipe called for chickpeas, onion, garlic, herbs and a bunch of spices. Chop roughly and form into balls. Then deep fry in hot oil. My falafels fell apart everytime - couldn't work out for the life of me what I was doing wrong. They sort of fizzed on top of the hot oil as bits fell off until I had a marble sized ball left.

Eventually figured it out. I was using tinned chickpeas. The recipe needed raw chickpeas, soaked overnight:confused: They can also be made with butterbeans - again soaked overnight.

I got in late last night, so dinner consisted of khoubz - Moroccan flat breads, warmed over a naked gas flame, spread thickly with homous and baby leaf spinach, then rolled up. Dinner in three minutes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Aura wrote: »
    Another convert. Love it!!
    Really nice if you use the oil from sundried tomatoes instead of olive oil.
    best served on wholemeal pittas with some applewood cheese and sweet chili sauce.

*mouthgasm* I miss hummus! Don't have a blender anymore and I don't like any store bought ones :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Cold Humous and hot chipper-chips...sweet baby Jebus, there's nothing finer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Clink wrote: »
    What do you eat your hummous with? Looking for an alternative to carrot sticks!

Japenese rice crackers! mmmmmmmm! :D

Or in a toasted pitta bread with good tomatoes and some crunchy lettuce.

Advertisement