Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Line installed is a Carrier Line

Options
  • 25-02-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi,Just got the phone installed last month in a new house,and went to order Broadband and the line failed turns out that the line is a carrier line/Splitter.Told Eircom when i was ordering the phoneline that i didnt want it to be installed on a carrier line.Main reason we wanted the line was for broadband.Tried to order ISDN today and the sales advisor told me that the order didnt go through,as line unsuitable.What are my options now?,really need to get broadband or ISDN,dont want to have to pay for wireless or sat broadband.Any advise would be helpful

Thanks Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

barry75 wrote: »
    Hi,Just got the phone installed last month in a new house,and went to order Broadband and the line failed turns out that the line is a carrier line/Splitter.Told Eircom when i was ordering the phoneline that i didnt want it to be installed on a carrier line.Main reason we wanted the line was for broadband.Tried to order ISDN today and the sales advisor told me that the order didnt go through,as line unsuitable.What are my options now?,really need to get broadband or ISDN,dont want to have to pay for wireless or sat broadband.Any advise would be helpful

Thanks Barry

NTL via cable? Digiweb?

DSL is not the only option ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Apparently carrier lines are now illegal according to this post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54879457&postcount=30

So you could raise it with Comreg, whether or not they will do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Thanks Barry

What reason did they give you? Did they specifically say it would be a carrier line because as previously posted and I dont think they install them anymore (could be wrong of course).

How far are you from the exchange - and why would you order IDSN first? Seems strange these days. Have you tried ordering BB from eircom or another isp - Smart perhaps?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I was under the impression that they were not allowed to install carrier lines, except where there was no capacity to do otherwise. I'm open to correction on it.

ISDN ordering would've been handy if he was on a carrier line that could be removed. If using dialup, he'd notice his slow 28k or less speed, then order ISDN, where an engineer would have to remove the pairgain for ISDN. After which, you'd notice improved dialup speeds, and then cancel the order before engineer gets a chance to enter house to install the PNP box! Nice idea in theory! :)

Of course, this didn't work for OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Best thing to do is ask for a full PSTN line and then if they refuse play the

"I thought every customer of Eircom is suppose to be treated equally, why am I only been given half a line and why should i pay full line rental" card.

Works 9/10 times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tullachBuí

This raises an interesting issue. I'm in a total internet blackspot, dial up is attrocious. If my line has been split (it's been installed for years) then I can request/demand that the splitter is removed in the hope of improving my dialup speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Hi thanks for all the replys,I was talking to the engineer who installed the line and he said that it is a carrier,there is a little white box on the pole coming into the house.We are no distance from the exchange about 2km, people up the road from us have broadband.I have emailed comreg but havent recieved a reply from them yet.The engineer said a lot of the houses in the area are on carrier lines,and i would have to get onto eircom customer service to get taken off,did that no luck do was passed from one agent to another for half an hour,and then told someone would ring back within 48 hours its now 2 weeks..
    Where to go from here?Has anyone else been through this and got your line unsplit?
    Thanks Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Lodge a complaint with eircom and send a copy to ComReg. ComReg will have to act once you've lodged an official complaint with eircom. Taxpayers' money is used to pay for some iota of consumer protection by ComReg, so let them do the chasing up on eircom. You explicitly asked for no carrier to be installed so eircom and ComReg must follow up on the complaint.

Any people I know who had pairgains had them removed when they asked the engineer. Go and offer him some gifts and see what effects that has.

I have Sent a complaint to Eircom but havent heard back from them yet.Guessing that this could take a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Make sure that you ask eircom for a reference number and use the term OFFICIAL COMPLAINT in all correspondence (by phone, email or letter)
    Letter is best as it's easier to keep tabs on from a legal perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Apparently carrier lines are now illegal according to this post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54879457&postcount=30

Unfortunatly it's not that easy. Eircom has been barred from installing more carriers, but that doesn't mean, that they can't install you line on an existing carrier. That's at least the way, they probably read the decision.

/Marlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

In 2003 I had a new line installed with a carrier. I emailed Comreg to complain but was told it was legal if eircom needed to install a carrier to provide service. That's not to say that the situation hasn't changed since then, but the information that it has been prohibited since 2001 seems to be false.

Gadgie wrote: »
    In 2003 I had a new line installed with a carrier. I emailed Comreg to complain but was told it was legal if eircom needed to install a carrier to provide service. That's not to say that the situation hasn't changed since then, but the information that it has been prohibited since 2001 seems to be false.

Gadgie did you ever manage to get Eircom to remove the Carrier line?

Gadgie did you ever manage to get Eircom to remove the Carrier line?

Unfortunately not, but I moved house after six months anyway.

OK, I found the original reply received from Comreg. I have omitted the sender's name as I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it. I can provide this to a forum moderator if required.

Received 24/11/03:
    I refer first to your query about legality of use of carrier/pairgain systems. If a carrier system/pairgain device is required for eircom to provide you with telephone service it is perfectly legal for eircom to deploy this. There is a common misconception that these devices are illegal – I have seen claims to this effect posted on www.boards.ie but this is not a correct reflection of the situation.

This appears to be an inaccurate reference to the Copper Loop Frequency Management Plan which was agreed between Eircom, Esat BT (representing the industry) and ComReg in April 2002 and is hosted on eircom wholesale’s website.

This document sets out various rules about the type of technologies that can be deployed on short, medium and long lines. It also provides for an operator to request removal of a pairgain where that line is requested for unbundling. Esat BT therefore can – and do – request this service at present by ticking the ‘survey for spare pair’ option when ordering a line for unbundling and eircom wholesale then seek to provide a line without use of a pairgain/carrier system. However, it is a commercial decision for eircom retail as to whether they wish to use the same process when requesting a line from eircom wholesale for broadband use.

Finally as part of ComReg’s obligations to set a functional internet access rate to which eircom must adhere, ComReg is currently reviewing a detailed submission from eircom on use of carrier/pairgain devices in the access network. Any obligation with regard to functional internet access set by ComReg will of course have to refer to such deployments and set further conditions about their use and deployment. A decision from ComReg on functional internet access will be available in the coming weeks.

Thanks i got the same reply from Comreg today.Guess there are not much help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Do you have a shotgun handy? That little box shouldn't be too hard to hit. They'll get the hint after a while. I know someone who did this and it worked. Frink'in desperate county we live in.

I think i will have to get the shovel to it,do the job just as well :D

Advertisement