Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone know how to Calibrate headlights for NCT?

Options
  • 25-02-2008 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Just failed over the headlights on my MK4 golf. The headlights are easily movable. Does anyone know a DIY fix for getting a pass on the test? Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What was the fail?
    too high or left/right fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Both too high. No idea how much by!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

japasca wrote: »
    Both too high. No idea how much by!

I found this method online - can't remember where but it worked for me.

Get a flat level stretch with a wall at the end.

Drive the car to within a foot of the wall with dips on.
    Put a chalk mark or piece of tape on the wall at the beam level.

Reverse back 20 metres and check the beam level (supposed to do it with the driver in the car).
    The beam should now be no more than 1/3rd the distance off the ground.

I'd adjust it all the way to the ground to be certain. (put your coat over each light in turn so you're only working on one).

As I said, It worked for me, I may have just been lucky though - don't blame me if it doesn't work!

If the ground isn't completely flat it won't work.

If you've any doubts - some of the tyre & exhaust chains have proper beamsetters and will set them (for a small fee of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I always align my own lights, except it's back 25 ft, and 2 ft off the ground. Has always worked for me.
    stevec wrote: »
    I found this method online - can't remember where but it worked for me.

Get a flat level stretch with a wall at the end.

Drive the car to within a foot of the wall with dips on.
    Put a chalk mark or piece of tape on the wall at the beam level.

Reverse back 20 metres and check the beam level (supposed to do it with the driver in the car).
    The beam should now be no more than 1/3rd the distance off the ground.

I'd adjust it all the way to the ground to be certain. (put your coat over each light in turn so you're only working on one).

As I said, It worked for me, I may have just been lucky though - don't blame me if it doesn't work!

If the ground isn't completely flat it won't work.

If you've any doubts - some of the tyre & exhaust chains have proper beamsetters and will set them (for a small fee of course).

JHMEG wrote: »
    I always align my own lights, except it's back 25 ft, and 2 ft off the ground. Has always worked for me.
    Depends on how high the lights are on the car / jeep / whatever.
    If you have a mate with a similar car (that passed an NCT), then mark the position of their lights and adjust to match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement