Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

can you do your driving test in a toyota yaris??

Options
  • 25-02-2008 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

sorry i have another question.
    i heard that you are not allowed do your driving test in certain cars, one being the toyota yaris?? is that true??
    thats the car i have and am worried that i may have to switch cars before the test?? :confused:
    stress!!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Haha, thats funny :D. Seriously OP you can do a driving test in whatever car you like, even a Yaris (great cars btw, especially for learners ). The Yaris' are used for the Hibernian Ignition course also (well they were last time).

Where did you get the idea you couldnt do it in a Yaris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Noskoda

wee bear wrote: »
    sorry i have another question.
    i heard that you are not allowed do your driving test in certain cars, one being the toyota yaris?? is that true??
    thats the car i have and am worried that i may have to switch cars before the test?? :confused:
    stress!!!:(

NOT true. There were a few problems with the first Yaris's as the sppedometer could not be seen. but, hopefully testers can judge your speed without reading the speedo. Quite a number of driving schools use the Yaris.

Just make sure tyres are legal, brake and indicator lights work, you display valid 'L' plates, and show in date tax, insurance and NCT discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭wee bear

hi chris 85 i got the idea because the speedometer faces the direction of the driver and the tester cannot see it
    so they wouldnt know what speed your going etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Hi I have a Yaris too and I thought you could not sit your test in a Yaris because the Examiner cannot see the bubble.

This rumour has been speading around!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

I did my test in a Yaris. Yeah the tester can't see the speedo. Kinda handy - i just made low humming noises to detract from the fact i was going 65 in a 50 zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Yeah no problem doing your test in the (old) Yaris. The display facing the driver would also be handy if any warning lights pop on. :)

My tester had her chair adjusted back very far, possibly so she could see pedals and/or the display.

I see your point though OP. Still a bit funny. Them bubble speedos are different alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

chris85 wrote: »
    I see your point though OP. Still a bit funny. Them bubble speedos are different alright.

Hey Chris i notice you've been promoted to a three star boardsie!:D

Hey Chris i notice you've been promoted to a three star boardsie!:D

Cheers just noticed that myself, that aint bad. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

500+ posts???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭wee bear

thanks for your replies, i know it sounds a bit stupid but with all the stress of doing the test itself, the last thing i wanted to worry about was not being able to use my car at all!! phew!!!:D
    cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

funktastic wrote: »
    I did my test in a Yaris. Yeah the tester can't see the speedo. Kinda handy - i just made low humming noises to detract from the fact i was going 65 in a 50 zone.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just obey the speed-limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's quite easy as a passenger in a car to know if a car is doing 50 or if a car is doing 60.

Stark wrote: »
    It's quite easy as a passenger in a car to know if a car is doing 50 or if a car is doing 60.

Actually a lot of people find this extremely difficult, even very experienced drivers. I drive a Yaris and I used to reguarly ask my passengers what speed they thought I was driving at for the laugh. Very rarely did anyone get within 5km of my speed. And I don't think the "speedos overestimate speed" factor played a major part as people would guess way off, both high and low.

One person in particular would however always get very close to my speed so I guess it's a skill some people have and some don't. Similar to how some people can estimate the distance something is away with creepy accuracy and some people can't. The relative speed of passing traffic/scenery and engine noise can also influence what speed people think they are travelling at.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah ok. I'm usually able to guage the speed fairly accurately, as is my dad (I could be doing 52 in a 50 zone and he'd know without looking at the speedometer). I was driving with a friend of mine in a 60 zone in a Yaris before and I knew she had mistaken it for a 50 zone. The biggest cue was the driving school cars overtaking us :p I kind of assumed that if I could guage speed with my limited experience, then an examiner could easily do it with their experience.

Stark wrote: »
    Ah ok. I'm usually able to guage the speed fairly accurately, as is my dad (I could be doing 52 in a 50 zone and he'd know without looking at the speedometer). I was driving with a friend of mine in a 60 zone in a Yaris before and I knew she had mistaken it for a 50 zone. The biggest cue was the driving school cars overtaking us :p I kind of assumed that if I could guage speed with my limited experience, then an examiner could easily do it with their experience.

I'm sure a lot of them could. Btw my dad would be similar when it comes to knowing what speed a car is going at. He could probably do a long drive within +/-3km of the speed limit without looking at the speedo at all.

Just reread my last post and realised this could turn into a my dad is better than your dad thread :o (he is though :D)

Advertisement