Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Roses and Petrol Film and Theatre

Options
  • 25-02-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I've read that Joseph O'Connors play Red Roses and Petrol is touring a few theatres around Dublin next month. The film is also being released next month so it could be good publicity. Anyone here planning on going to see it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭phaze

I've read the script and it's a great play. Very well written.

Any idea of where and when it's on? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Not sure really. I know it's on in Draiocht in Blanchardstown soon. It's on in a few theatres in Kildare over the next few weeks too. Im gonna see it in Blanch I'd say. I've read it too and I thought the script was excellent. A real Dublin drama! "Can I lick the spoon?" Classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jojo12

I went to see RED ROSES and PETROL in Kilcock last night, The On Q group were running it for Charity in the parish hall. I was absolutely blown away by the performances of all the actors. The story was lovely, with emotions of all descriptions, going from some really funny moments to edge of your seat moments to upsettingly sad moments. I am going back again as i enjoyed it so much! they are in the Draiocht this week from thurs to sat and i would highly recommend it. If you only go to see one play this year then make it Red Roses and Petrol!

Excellent! Glad to hear they have done the script justice!

Unfortunately I can't make it to the Draiocht though. Any chance you could find out the other venues they are playing in?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dogone

wow what a show saw it last night in kilcock i believe it's going to the draiocht this weekand the riverbank in newbridge next week even if i have to walk there i'm going to catch this production again BRILLIANT!!!

• Advertisement

phaze, i think they are going to prosperous or somewhere like that with it!

JUST GOT THEIR FLYER It seems that onq are going on tour and I just heard it on Adrian kennedy phone show .They found their leading lady at a car boot sale!!"!!!!!!!

no way! i dont believe she was got at a car boot sale! how much?? no really she was very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

jojo12 and dogone have to have a vested interest..your posts are a) new and b) way overenthusiastic :rolleyes:

just because someone really enjoys a little done piece of irish theatre and expresses this thruogh a message board does not indicate a "vested interest".IIn fact I AM SOOOOO enthusiastic that my daughter in law is comming over from Manchester to see it with me. JOSEPH O'ONNOR IS A PULITZER WINNING IRISH AUTHOR and deserves to have his work put on in Ireland. Or do we wait untill he dies to appreciate him.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry Ellenmelon, I dont know what you mean? I am new to this, so what? are new comers not allowed have an opinion?

Ellenmellon, This is the Theatre and Performing Arts section right? so is that not what its for?

ellenmelon wrote: »
    jojo12 and dogone have to have a vested interest..your posts are a) new and b) way overenthusiastic :rolleyes:

Looks like that alright. But hey, I've read great reviews so I'm gonna check it out.

I did not or do not fully understand please someone explain to me as I am also new to internet. are you only permitted to post a review if a play is bad???

does anyone know when the movie is hitting the big screen? I hear Colin Farells sister is in it!

dogone wrote: »
    They found their leading lady at a car boot sale!!"!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

new accounts+rabid enthusiam+minute apart postings in some cases= vested interest. the movie version was also spammed over a few other sites outside of boards so thats why im suspect.
    i dont care if someone comes on here and says that they are involved in a project but they still think you should come see it as an answer to a post..you can be involved and still think something is worth seeing despite working on it.

quadleo: def. go see it! me saying that two posters on here are sockpuppet accounts doesnt mean i dont think anyone should see it. let us know what you think when you have...

ellenmelon wrote: »
    quadleo: def. go see it! me saying that two posters on here are sockpuppet accounts doesnt mean i dont think anyone should see it. let us know what you think when you have...

I went to see it tonight (Thursday night) in Draiocht Theatre. I thought it was a great production. The charcters are fantastic and there's a lot of great Dublin humor in it. The lighting was excellent and the soundtrack was perfect too. A lot of bad language and stuff, but the script is good and the dialogue is very natural. I was surprised to see so many people at it tbh; the theatre was nearly full. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes strong drama full of emotion (happy and sad). Not one for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

I saw this play about 12 years ago!!!:eek::eek::eek: I went to it with my school as a treat for working in the school tuk shop! Teachers were a bit embarrased wen they noticed that it was a bit too adult for us:D But i remember it as been very good! I'll have to go see it again!

I see your man Randomway has taken photos of this production.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomway/2303893007/

Looking forward to seeing this now. Thanks for the review Quad Leo.

Lorweld, as a teacher I can only cringe at the thoughts of bringing a bus load of students to this!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Just checked out the photos they are great .Is it possible to print them , if so can anyone tell me how to.Thanks:confused::confused::confused::confused:

what photos?

phaze wrote: »
    I see your man Randomway has taken photos of this production.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomway/2303893007/

Looking forward to seeing this now. Thanks for the review Quad Leo.

I saw them at the web address above.:rolleyes:

QuadLeo wrote: »
    I went to see it tonight (Thursday night) in Draiocht Theatre. I thought it was a great production. The charcters are fantastic and there's a lot of great Dublin humor in it. The lighting was excellent and the soundtrack was perfect too. A lot of bad language and stuff, but the script is good and the dialogue is very natural. I was surprised to see so many people at it tbh; the theatre was nearly full. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes strong drama full of emotion (happy and sad). Not one for the kids.

I could not agree more, a brilliant piece of writing and justice done with sensitive direction. I urge anyone into good IRISH theatre to catch this play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

I went to see it a few weeks ago and thought it was brilliant!!!

Wear waterproof mascara lol!!

It was really a very good production, the sound track was perfect and the laughes and tears were perfectly balanced!!

would go again!!

I've booked tickets for Ratoath - it's on Sat & Sun 5th & 6th April. Is that unusual? Really looking forward to seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

phaze wrote: »
    I've booked tickets for Ratoath - it's on Sat & Sun 5th & 6th April. Is that unusual? Really looking forward to seeing it.

Its on a Sunday? Thats brilliant :) I hate it when plays finish on Saturdays cos I work then!

You'll really enjoy it phaze, might see you there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

dogone wrote: »
    Just checked out the photos they are great .Is it possible to print them , if so can anyone tell me how to.Thanks:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hi, I'm Zoltan Barothi (randomway). I would note that I retain the copyright to these images and I authorized the theatre company ONLY to reproduce the images in print or in any other media. You can always write an email to the person you want to steal the pictures from... plus, I'm happy to send you larger photos in this case, free of charge. Just drop an email if you are really interested:
    zoltan@barothi.com

Oh, and I completely agree that it was a great play!

Kind Regards,
    Zoltan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lecutus

I 'm normally a cinema person, not one for live theatre, was brought kicking and screaming to see the show at the Venue, was suitably impressed by the show, would go to see this group again. Got brownie points for laughing in all the right spots and not falling asleep, it's worth a look!!!:cool:

• Advertisement

I went to see it in the Venue too and really enjoyed it! A very strong performance from all. A woman in front of me was actually crying with laughter! :D Would definately recommend it. They are on in Prosperous Theatre this week.

Advertisement