Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you admit to people you are a wrestling fan?

• 25-02-2008 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Im wondering if people here admit to being a wrestling fans to people in general. I personally dont as the vast majority of people see it as something for kids to watch and nerds. To be honest anytime i go to a WWE show in Dublin some of the grown up lads are embarrasing. 25 year old overweight lads with long hair walking around with a championship belt. Its these sort of blokes who make me ashamed to be a fan of wrestling.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

For me, it just doesn't come up very often as a topic of conversation with the people I see daily. And if they don't mention it, I won't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Personally I'm more ashamed of closet wrestling fans. If everyone who actually watches wrestling would actually admit it then people would realise that it's not just something for kids and nerds. I always admit I watch it if it comes up in conversation, and I certainly don't feel embaressed about it or anything like that. It's just something I enjoy watching. Some people watch football or Prison Break or whatever, I watch wrestling, I don't really see the difference.

What's wrong with guys wearing belts at events? It's something they are interested in and feel passionately about. I don't have any of the belts myself, but have no problem with anyone else having one. I don't see why it's anything for anyone to be ashamed about, and for you to feel ashamed about being associated with them is pretty petty imo. There is no difference in my mind between a guy carrying a belt at an event and a guy at a football match wearing a jersey and scarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I've never quite got why adults buy the belts, and when they do, why they bring them to live events. Even worse was when I was at an IWW show last year, and 3 lads there, all in their 20s had different WWE belts. It was quite funny really.

I don't advertise that I am a wrestling fan, but anyone who knows me, know I am. Its hard to hide for anyone who walks into my house as I have a few hundred DVDs in various places around. I do get strange responses from time to time especially recently as i have been putting up posters around Cork City for an upcoming show!

Just to point out, I am not overweight, i don't own championship belts, and have a rather healthy social life, so I don't fall into any of the stereotypes.

gimmick wrote: »
    I've never quite got why adults buy the belts, and when they do, why they bring them to live events..

Me neither.

Just on the jersey analogy, I don't buy them anymore but I think a big part of buying them is that it's a statement e.g. I'm a United fan, I'm a Liverpool fan etc..

I just don't get the belt thing with adults.

I don't hide that I'm a wrestling fan either. At the same time, I don't Wooh when opening the door at where I work.

Plus football jersies can be worn socially, or as comfort clothes, or too the gym or whatever. Imagine the look you would get with a big WWE Spinner belt attached to your jeans going to the pub on Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

For me, it just doesn't come up very often as a topic of conversation with the people I see daily. And if they don't mention it, I won't either.

thats the same with me, if someone asked me straight up "are you a wrestling fan?" id respond Yes, although most people consider it for kids etc I like it and would not lie about it. However unless we are sitting watching TV and an add for a wrestling PPV comes on it just really is not going to come up too often in conversation.

on the topic of the belts on adults i dont quite understand it either. Kinda wanted one when I was younger but that was part of the whole make believe "Im the Champ" part of it but you would think that adults would be passed that... but then again its some of these adults that mean this quesion is even being posed i.e they make Wrestling fans look uncool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

If somebody asks, I'll tell them, but if they don't, I won't go out of my way to tell them. I don't go shouting it from rooftops, but at the same time I don't say wrestling is a load of **** and then run home and cuddle up to my belt (yes, I have one).

Just on the topic of belts, I got one because I wanted one so bad when I was 12, so I saw one cheap on ebay one day last year and said why not. It hangs on my bedroom wall, thats about it. I don't bring it to events, nor do I put it over my shoulder and cut promos in the mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Sure! If the person i'm telling admits to being a Corrie fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i have 3 belts, the wwf attitude,undisputed and world heavyweight ones, the world heavyweight one i bought at wrestlemania 23,lets face it its the coolest memento you could have of it, especially since i got the taker nameplate for it since he won it there, i did get a few odd looks coming back through customs when they opened my suitcase, but one of the security guys even asked if id take a pic of him with it on his shoulder

i did bring my attitude one to the point show last june and quite a few people came up and asked me where i got it, i really dont see the difference between me bringing a replica belt to a wrestling show and a football fan painting his face different colours or wearing a giant rubber finger or jesters hat or some other ludicrous getup,you're showing you passion for the sport, i never have a problem telling anyone i watch wrestling if they think its childish or whatever thats their ****ing problem, my girlfriend of a few months knows and she knows im going to mania 24 in march and thinks its cool, had the "oh isnt it fake?" attitude until i showed here beyond the mat, the mania of wrestlemania and a few of the more famous matches and she wasnt long changing her mind,still thinks its a bit childish (and with todays wwe writing who can blame her!) but has a lot of respect for the guys involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Minto wrote: »
    nor do I put it over my shoulder and cut promos in the mirror.

I think thats a statement to hide the truth ! :) We wont judge you.

Back on topic, if im asked sometimes i say yes, and others no, depends on the person. If im not in the mood to hear, "oh its fake" , " men in panties " , "its for kids" , i say no.

P.S i can just imagine minto , doing a promo to psych himself up before a Podcast :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I don't deny being a wrestling fan, but I don't advertise it either. Same way I don't bring up all the other things that I like when talking to someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭R.Rated

krudler wrote: »
    i really dont see the difference between me bringing a replica belt to a wrestling show and a football fan painting his face different colours or wearing a giant rubber finger or jesters hat or some other ludicrous getup,

The difference is that thousands upon thousands go to football games every week dressed in, what you say "ludicrous getup". The reason being it adds colour to the atmosphere of a sporting event, wrestling is NOT a sporting event. If you ever go to a Ireland soccer match in Croker i would say about 50,000 people have "ludicrous getup" on supporting their team. How is wearing a belt to a pre-determined event the same. You are not supporting anyone with it. The only reason why i feel men wear these belts along with the 4 or 5 other "adults" at an event particuarly in Ireland is to get attention from little kids who say "oh wow look at his belt" Im sorry but its very very sad for a grown adult to wear a belt in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I won't tell anyone unless they ask me. All my friends know I am a wrestling fan and I do get a lot of stick from them from time to time as I am the only one that is still a fan of wrestling out of all my friends. The pub I drink in puts Smackdown on for me if I am out on a Friday night (which is good for me) but I always get people coming up to me saying it’s fake and it’s just for kids(This is something evey wrestling fan has to put up with and it's never going to change). I am used to it at this stage. But I do notice a lot of people watching it when it’s on in the pub.

R.Rated wrote: »
    The difference is that thousands upon thousands go to football games every week dressed in, what you say "ludicrous getup". The reason being it adds colour to the atmosphere of a sporting event, wrestling is NOT a sporting event. If you ever go to a Ireland soccer match in Croker i would say about 50,000 people have "ludicrous getup" on supporting their team. How is wearing a belt to a pre-determined event the same. You are not supporting anyone with it. The only reason why i feel men wear these belts along with the 4 or 5 other "adults" at an event particuarly in Ireland is to get attention from little kids who say "oh wow look at his belt" Im sorry but its very very sad for a grown adult to wear a belt in public.

thats your opinion and you're entitled to it, are you even a fan at all with that attitude towards wrestling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

You seem to be pretty dismissive of wrestling and wrestling fans, do you watch wrestling at all yourself?

I actually was latently admitting I was a fan of wrestling today. Without going into too many details, I have a class of 5 year olds for my last teaching practice. They are insane.

Anyway PE is always a bit of a hassle and the easiest thing to do is do the whole dancing thing. Now I am NOT a dancer. I can't dance. So as we are swaying along to the great Tony Christie's Amarillo I started running out of moves for them to copy me.

So I just started making them imitate old wrestling poses. We did the Flair strut, the Hulk Hogan point at the moon, the Rock "Just bring it pose" and the Eddie Guererro shoulder shuffle. Very odd but also very enjoyable!

IWW, NWA, CPW take note, I think that an over-the-top wrestling fan who wears a dozen belts could be an effective gimmick for a heel wrestler!

I can't say I get the belt wearing, and some fans who I've seen wearing them to events did seem to be a bit full of themselves. Not passing any judgement on krudler though, he seems like a nice guy
    So I just started making them imitate old wrestling poses. We did the Flair strut, the Hulk Hogan point at the moon, the Rock "Just bring it pose" and the Eddie Guererro shoulder shuffle. Very odd but also very enjoyable!

Brilliant :D

orestes wrote: »
    You seem to be pretty dismissive of wrestling and wrestling fans, do you watch wrestling at all yourself?

Yes i am, i watch WWE&TNA every week, and how on earth am i dismissive of wrestling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

There are replicas of anything for a reason so fans can make believe that they are a professional footballer or they are World Heavyweight Champion it even if they are the talentless unfitest person alive its fun to pretend lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It has come up a few times and not many of my friends really bother me. I just tell them they can watch their men running around after the bag of air, then hug and kiss each other when they put it in the back of the net. :) People wearing belts and so on, meh to each their own and if it makes them happy I don't see why people should be bothered about it.

• Advertisement

By and large wrestling fans over the age of 18 are sad losers who walk around with long or greasy hair and are socially inept. They are the sort of bloke who give wrestling a bad name with normal people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

By and large wrestling fans over the age of 18 are sad losers who walk around with long or greasy hair and are socially inept. They are the sort of bloke who give wrestling a bad name with normal people.

This is just completely wrong.

That might describe most teenage wrestling fans, but most wrestling fans I know have perfectly normal social lives, they just happen to like watching pro-wrestling.

Have you ever been to a show and seen the blokes who go to them?

sorry but thats just nonsense, thats like saying the majority of soccer fans are stella drinking slaphead hooligans, 5 of my friends are all into wrestling in a big way not just casual fans, we're all in our late 20s and have full time well paid jobs and girlfriends/wives/kids, so does that make us socially inept? by this time next month I'll have been to 2 wrestlemanias, if that makes me a sad loser then so be it, **** everyone who thinks so

Generalisations very rarely hold true

To the majority of people, yes you would be a sad loser. Im not saying you are by the way

To the majority of people, yes you would be a sad loser. Im not saying you are by the way

you can include yourself in the stereotype then since you're on an internet forum talking about wrestling

krudler wrote: »
    you can include yourself in the stereotype then since you're on an internet forum talking about wrestling

I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 JXP99

Would admit to being a fan if I was sure that the person I was talking to was a fan too, all my friends know I'm a fan infact some of them are fans themselfs, the ones that aren't think we are sad, but as I keep telling them is a fight you see on a TV show real anyway.

Going to WM 24 next month with one of my friends, put It this way haven't told people at work why i'm going to Orlando for only 4 days (4 days is because my friend is self employed and can't get away for too long, plus I want to go away in the summer with the rest of the lads plus I am going to a few Man Utd matches in April, you only get so many days off)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Wow gotta say I'm really surprised by some of the responses to this thread.

All my friends know I like wrestling, one or two of them watch it as well. The people I work with know. The way I see it wrestling is just another kind of TV show. I'll talk about it just as freely as everyone else does about LOST or CSI or whatever, and I've never felt like I was "admitting" anything, it makes it sound as though I'm guilty of something. If someone mentions wrestling or asks why I look like a zombie the night after a PPV I'll flat out tell them I'm a wrestling fan :D

Can't say I see the point in the belts though, but live and let live etc:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I certainly don't hide the fact that i'm a wrestling fan. Everyone that knows me knows its a huge part of my life and yes they rip the complete piss at times, but I'm honestly at a stage of my life where I couldn't give a flying **** what people think!

The whole grown men strutting around with a replica belt thing is just ****ing sad and creepy though.:eek:

I do admit to people that I'm a wrestling fan. And obviously the most hardcore fan to post here.

I wear the merhcandise all the time. When i go out, everything i wear (with the exception of my pants and shows) is WWE. My Cap, Wristbands, hoodie etc. are all WWE branded.

Everyone knows im a wrestling fan, and I'm damn proud to be a wrestling fan. I'm not trying to start an argument here, but i genuinely pity a person who is embarrassed or ashamed that they're a fan of wrestling.

As for the belt thing. I have four belts, The World Heavyweight, WWE Undisputed, WWE Spinner, and my favourite, the WWE Intercontinental.

Why did I buy them? Because they are the greatest display piece you can get, really. They look amazing hanging on a wall or sitting on a shelf or whatever. They're a cool piece of merchandise.

I own hundreds of wrestling figures, i have replica belts, i have replica masks, DVDs, VHS, Autibiographies, Music CDs, etc. etc. and I couldn't be prouder to own them.

Also, I have gone to ten WWE events in Ireland, and ever since i owned a replica belt, I brought it with me. Not so i can get attention from other people, but because something I always do at an event, is get a picture beside the ring, with a belt on my shoulder or with a mask on etc.

Its just something I make sure to do at every event. I dunno why.

Also, bringing a belt signafies that you're a more serious fan. The first few times i went to WWE i usually ended up talking to some young kids, whom i had to pretend i was interested in what they were saying about this and that, but with the belt, you usually attract other people who own the belts (normally older fans) and you can have a proper conversation about this and that. Albeit, its not something i ever intend on doing. I dont go to WWE to make friends, I have enough friends as it is, but its great to meet some like-minded people at the event and enjoy some banter before and after the show. :)

The reason I originally brought my replica belts were, as i say, to get the ring picture, but i think most people bring the belts to get signed. I've seen that happen an awful lot, and the wrestlers themselves seem to pay more attention to signing a belt rather than a figure or a promo shot etc.

Personally i dont collect autographs, but its a great thing to get done.

As for my social life. I don't get out much to be honest. I dont drink or anything, so pubs aren't really my thing. I work a lot of hours a day (i run my own cabinet making company, and ive only really started out a few months ago, meaning i have to make sure im working a lot. Bills are expensive :( ) but i tend to just randomly hang out with friends here and there in the evenings and hang out with my girlfriend at night. So i don't think theres anything wrong with my social life at all.

So in short... I buy WWE stuff, if you don't like it: Screw you, Its not my fault you're a judgmental prick who deems that everyone else has to be just like you. I'm happy being me, and wouldn't change for anyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

Im wondering if people here admit to being a wrestling fans to people in general. I personally dont as the vast majority of people see it as something for kids to watch and nerds. To be honest anytime i go to a WWE show in Dublin some of the grown up lads are embarrasing. 25 year old overweight lads with long hair walking around with a championship belt. Its these sort of blokes who make me ashamed to be a fan of wrestling.

I absolutely don't hide the fact i'm a wrestling fan, in fact quite the opposite. Everyone that knows me knows i'm a WWE fan, I only wear WWE t-shirts, i'm just like that. I can honestly say that I have lost many 'friends' because of my interest in wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

I absolutely don't hide the fact i'm a wrestling fan, in fact quite the opposite. Everyone that knows me knows i'm a WWE fan, I only wear WWE t-shirts, i'm just like that. I can honestly say that I have lost many 'friends' because of my interest in wrestling.

Thats a shame. I'm like most people here. I dont broadcast it. But I dont deny it. Same goes for all my other interests and I'm fairly private when it comes to things like that. I too think there are some freaks at the shows in Dublin. I dont really give a sh1t if someone buys a belt though. You can call me judgemental but I think wrestling is followed by a lot of guys that resemble goths. Its just an observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

forbesii wrote: »
    You can call me judgemental but I think wrestling is followed by a lot of guys that resemble goths. Its just an observation.

It's the idea of cutting themselves that atracts them :p

Seriously tho, I know about people who I'd call "wrestling friends". Eight of them are pretty much the same as me, really enjoy it, but its not the be all and end all of life. The other 2 are complete and utter marks for the business. They seem to buy into the whole wrestling world. They don't see the backstage side to it at all. They get their wrestling news from that sh*tty Sky text page, 344 or something? Anyway, I had a point to all this and that is that none of them are Goths or **** like that.

I didn't think Goths would have time for wrestling anyway, too much colour. Especially now that it's in HD.

• Advertisement

I took forbesii to mean that there's fans who resemble goths in that they go out of their way to be different and attract attention. Because I can't say that I saw that many "goths" at any of the WWE or other shows I went to in the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

I am overweight, but my long hair is always washed and smells of mint thanks to head and shoulders menthol shampoo (my mother has lovely soft hands, like in that fairy ad). I don't own a belt cause I spent all my money on stablizers for my bike, it's a 10 speed and has a bell. The bike is bright red. One day I hope to be big like the big show and attack that bastard Jimmy O'Flynn, if I could coke slam him I would be king of the neighborhood and he would never bully me again. My dad once grounded me for giving my sister a sharpshooter and then he confiscated my super nintendo for a month :*(

There is not a typical wrestling fan IMO. Of my wrestling fan friends - I work in shipping (have losing hair as well ;)), one is a Garda, 2 are sport journos, one is a car salesman, one is a rugby playing jock student and another is an IT guy for a major company. Nothing gothish, or even grungey about any of us, so that should thrown the stereotypes out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

okay, I've no problem in telling people I'm a wrestling fan (if it somehow manages to come up in conversation). I wear the t-shirts (well, old ones).

Like anything, there are different levels of fandom .. the hardcore fans of anything always seems a bit too extreme sometimes. (even soccer)

Cactus Col wrote: »
    okay, I've no problem in telling people I'm a wrestling fan (if it somehow manages to come up in conversation). I wear the t-shirts (well, old ones).

Like anything, there are different levels of fandom .. the hardcore fans of anything always seems a bit too extreme sometimes. (even soccer)

Thats the category I'd fall into. But you'll find that most times people go to really noticeable extremes, its just to have a laugh.

I'd often go down town or whatever and wear Kane's replica mask. I'd just walk into shops and buy a magazine or a book or whatever as if nothing was ever any different. People would kinda be taken aback by it at first, and you get some weird stares, but its hilariously funny.

Theres nothing quite like taking the p*ss out of a judgmental world :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Thats the category I'd fall into. But you'll find that most times people go to really noticeable extremes, its just to have a laugh.

I'd often go down town or whatever and wear Kane's replica mask. I'd just walk into shops and buy a magazine or a book or whatever as if nothing was ever any different. People would kinda be taken aback by it at first, and you get some weird stares, but its hilariously funny.

Theres nothing quite like taking the p*ss out of a judgmental world :)

Good God I've never heard of anyone going that far. I think the word 'goth' that I used was a bit strong. I suppose I just meant the long, greasy (black) hair brigade that are kind of loserish. I have a Phenoms Death Crew T-Shirt and I wear it in public with zero embarassment though I have noticed the Undertaker seems to have way more weird fans than anyone else. There was a couple at Smackdown in the Point in November '06 both dressed as the Undertaker and that show scared me a little bit in terms of the people I saw there. I'm gonna buy the gold triple h one too. I like the t-shirts because their well designed, understated and fairly cool.

I'd often go down town or whatever and wear Kane's replica mask.

Im sorry but you must have some serious problems if thats what you do along with wearing just WWE clothing. I know its each to their own but that is just plain wrong. What age are you even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sure did you not all see the guy dressed as JBL at no way out that was weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yes all the time, i am not ashamed about being a wrestling fan, although some of my non-wrestling fan friends do give me alot of stick for it yet they watch rubbish like x-factor or fair city :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

People generally think wrestling fans are kids or losers. And to be fair, thats what most are eg. see guy with mask above. I usually just say I used watch it and not much nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Most people at work know I'm a fan,I reckon there are some closet fans out there,few of the lads at work with me that I'd have never figured to be wrestling fans are fairly into it. If one of us didnt tape a ppv chances are someone else in the group would have. I dont get as much grief as I used to! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Like most people here I dont broadcast it but will admit to liking it if asked.

I have one friend that likes wrestling and funnily enough, through our talking about it at parties etc, some of the other lads who used to give us a fair bit of stick about it have become casual fans themselves.

In fairness, I can easily see why people who don't like wrestling think its as bad as it is. There are some god awful stroylines that just make us wrestling fans look bad for watching it. Im talking the likes of Hornswoggle, Eugene etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

gimmick wrote: »
    Plus football jersies can be worn socially, or as comfort clothes, or too the gym or whatever. Imagine the look you would get with a big WWE Spinner belt attached to your jeans going to the pub on Friday!

I'm a trekkie and I wore a DS9 medical officer top to my local one night.
    I just did it for a laugh though.

I'm overweight and pretty much the same size as the likes of Jericho and Austin, although that's just in height and weight.
    I have a bigger beer belly than them though.

All of my friends know I watch wrestling and some of them watch it too.
    They wouldn't have as much interest as me though.

I do get the piss taken out of me from time to time, but I don't lose any sleep over it. I couldn't give a damn what others think of my interests and I find wrestling infinitely more interesting than a bunch of overpaid primadonnas running around after a ball once or twice a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I know alot of people that watch it and I have no problem with telling people I watch it too.You always get the"oh thats fake" and blah blah blah but what I answer is let me hit you in the head with a chair and see does it hurt or I try to get them to watch a CZW deathmatch and ask if thats real.

It doesnt bother me if people take the piss for being a fan,its easier to make fun of what you dont understand.

If I was showing a non fan any wrestling, CZW would probably be the last thing I would. Disgusting trash is all that is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement