Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you admit to people you are a wrestling fan?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

nedtheshed wrote: »
    I try to get them to watch a CZW deathmatch and ask if thats real.

Can't you just show them Bret/Owen at Wrestlemania 10 instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I try to get them to watch a CZW deathmatch and ask if thats real.

Can't you just show them Bret/Owen at Wrestlemania 10 instead?

Could but that is a pretty technical match that most non fans would perceive as being fake as there are no real heavy hits in it.I know wrestling isnt about the hardcore stuff like CZW,the hardcore is a relatively small sub division of wrestling but Ive changed alot of peoples opinions about wrestling and people have grown a sort of respect for it because of what CZW is. Sometimes it takes something like Nick Gage getting set on fire to show people there are real risks in the sport.

Another match which I think is a great starting point for non fans or haters is the Low Ki vs Special K match from ROH a couple of years ago.

Brutal and stiff as hell without the use of weapons or bloodshed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

gimmick wrote: »
    If I was showing a non fan any wrestling, CZW would probably be the last thing I would. Disgusting trash is all that is.

I was watching a CZW DVD one time and a couple of my friends called over and they really enjoyed it, but I definitely wouldn't have shown it to them to introduce them to wrestling, as it's not wrestling for the most part, it's Jackass/Dirty Sanchez in front of a crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Sometimes it takes something like Nick Gage getting set on fire to show people there are real risks in the sport.

Wrestling isn't about those sort of risks. Like I said, that's Jackass territory

If someone is going to criticise wrestling for being "fake" and not do the same thing about films and tv programs, then they're just being hypocritical

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

I like wrestling - I have no problem admitting that to people. I do get asked a lot - "why do you watch that fake crap?" - I just respond: Its entertaining!

I have a good few t-shirts at this stage - I like wearing them out and about but I WOULDN'T be one for putting on a Kane mask and going for a newspaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

R.Rated wrote: »
    Thats the category I'd fall into. But you'll find that most times people go to really noticeable extremes, its just to have a laugh.

I'd often go down town or whatever and wear Kane's replica mask.

Im sorry but you must have some serious problems if thats what you do along with wearing just WWE clothing. I know its each to their own but that is just plain wrong. What age are you even?

This needs to be answered as a matter of urgency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It would have been a lot easier when going through the Attitude Era to tell someone I was a wrestling fan. But I think too much of it now is concentrated at young teenagers/ adolescents. Like a lot of you have mentioned though if someone spoke to me about wrestling I would have an enthusiastic conversation with them.

On the other hand, people care too much about what others think. I went to the Raw show here just after Eddie G died and I was giving it loads along with the other fans. But my mate had a sour puss and did not get into it at all because he gf took the piss out of him for going to see wrestling. What was worse is that we were on the ground and all the older guys were in the tiers, who were really getting into it. Here's me around a bunch of kids and their moms and dads who are being moderately quiet and the I'm the only one going along with the chants and banter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

Wrestling never comes up in conversation between me and my friends (because they're female and have no interest). But they know I'm a fan and doesn't bother them...only occasionaly get the piss ripped outta me.:)
    But I'm not going to admit my love of it to complete strangers.

Oh and I have seen those stereotypes at the Point (i.e. greasy hair, replica belts).:eek: Some of them scary me...got felt up by one of them in the queue for merchandise. *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've only ever brought my replica belt to one show in the point last june and loads of people were asking me where i got it, a few parents even asked could their kids have pics taken with lol, i had one at wrestlemania 23 but i bought it there so had to lug it around with me for the day, word of advice for people going to 24, buy stuff BEFORE the show its hassle watching your bags and hoping the belt doesnt get scratched/stolen

• Advertisement
Advertisement