Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quantity Surveyors

• 25-02-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I hired 2 Quantity Surveyors who work on the side and who work in a professional practice, Is it worth the money.

A relative of mine used them and he said he had a hassle free build and it took all the pressure off, all he had to do was pick his finishes ie doors etc, write the cheques with their back-up and he got the project in on time and under budget.

They charged a % of the cost for their services and ran the job from start to finish.

Is this an easier approuch or is it worth running the project myself?

Thanks

Novice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

QS can offer a very good service . As can an architect . Less so an engineer.

In any event use some one who has done a lot of one off housing and expect to be put in touch with plenty of happy clients before you proceed .

Any of these professionals who is also a BER assessor - and you increase your odds a very good experience

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

sinnerboy wrote: »
    QS can offer a very good service . As can an architect . Less so an engineer.

In any event use some one who has done a lot of one off housing and expect to be put in touch with plenty of happy clients before you proceed .

Any of these professionals who is also a BER assessor - and you increase your odds a very good experience

They work in a practice and did the job as a 'nixwer', I got a full understanding on what they offered- basically the exact work their office do.

I have a Cost Plan and a Bill of Quantities, which they are proposing to tender to their and mine recommended builders.

They work for other smaller firms on a nixer basis, I contacted one and they said they never had any problems, I also went and seen one of their jobs the did in a shopping centre in dublin city and was highly impressed.

Has anyone else used a service like this before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They work for other smaller firms on a nixer basis, I contacted one and they said they never had any problems, I also went and seen one of their jobs the did in a shopping centre in dublin city and was highly impressed.

?
    Just so you know, how a shopping centre looks as a finished job, or a work in progress has nothing to do with a QS and how good he is.
    The QS will affect things like costing, ammount of materials, even time scale. These things can't be seen by looking at the end article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Maybe they built it too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 wexgun

Why cant an Engineer offer a good service? What did Engineers do to you? I Project Manage self-builds from start to finish and I'm an Engineer and I consider myself to offer a very good service. I've never seen an Architect on site at 6am for a concrete pour or a Quantity Surveyor either for that matter. We Engineers get an awful lot of stick and not enough credit but people seem to think Architects and Surveyors are some kind of demi-gods. Each profession has their own merits and de-merits. Think before you make a statement like that again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

wexgun wrote: »
    Why cant an Engineer offer a good service? What did Engineers do to you? I Project Manage self-builds from start to finish and I'm an Engineer and I consider myself to offer a very good service. I've never seen an Architect on site at 6am for a concrete pour or a Quantity Surveyor either for that matter. We Engineers get an awful lot of stick and not enough credit but people seem to think Architects and Surveyors are some kind of demi-gods. Each profession has their own merits and de-merits. Think before you make a statement like that again.

Totally agree. What would make an architect superior to an engineer in managing self-builds?
    Surley engineers, by their nature, are better with numbers etc. which is more important than the artistic merits which architects are required to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Guys, let's not go down the road of architects v engineers and get back on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Think before you make a statement like that again.
    Practice what you preach my friend. Please dont go attacking the poster and as smashey said keep it on topic which in this instance is about QS's.

Same advice for jimbo78.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

Well anyone any advice on the quantity surveyors? not engineers

The two guys have now chosen a builder and are about to start on site next week, I attended interviews which the QS's held in a hotel, interviewing the builders and i can tell you one thing, I would not like to be on the recieving end of their wrath, they clearly outlined to the builder what had to be done and when, time frame etc, they said if they see shabby workmanship, it wont be paid for! until it is corrected.

I went and spoke to people who had their homes built by the 2 and they said they were more than pleased, they said the guys continued working for the for over a year ' defect liability period', which i was highly pleased about and they looked after every thing in the house that went wrong.

At what point do i pay them as we are only starting on site nest week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I think you answered the question for yourself. You like their approach and have got good references.

Discuss the payments with them.

• Advertisement

Sweeping generalisation I admit . too sweeping .

I in fact have worked with gifted fantastic engineers .

however , all I have worked with would defer to an architect for matters relating to not just to design but also damp proofing , insulation specs for example . and health and safety , planning .

I meant no offence , I am sure you do offer an excellent service .

whatever professional a self builder selects look for 3 things

1. lots of experience with 1 off houses ( or if applicable refurbishments )
    2. a list of happy clients
    3. a list of builders who have completed projects with the professional and hold him/her in highest esteem .

Well anyone any advice on the quantity surveyors? not engineers

The two guys have now chosen a builder and are about to start on site next week, I attended interviews which the QS's held in a hotel, interviewing the builders and i can tell you one thing, I would not like to be on the recieving end of their wrath, they clearly outlined to the builder what had to be done and when, time frame etc, they said if they see shabby workmanship, it wont be paid for! until it is corrected.

I went and spoke to people who had their homes built by the 2 and they said they were more than pleased, they said the guys continued working for the for over a year ' defect liability period', which i was highly pleased about and they looked after every thing in the house that went wrong.

At what point do i pay them as we are only starting on site nest week?

Can't say fairer can you ? Clarify payment now with your QS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

they said the guys continued working for the for over a year ' defect liability period', which i was highly pleased about and they looked after every thing in the house that went wrong.
    Just to clear this up, for any laypeople that might read this.
    The above is standard, completely. So much so that if it is not part of contract then you should walk away. It is a must.
    Some defects cannot be avoided, no matter how good the work. DLP is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

what on earth are you building that you need 2 quantity surveyors?? I may be completely biased on this matter (being a QS) but I think the services that a QS can provide on a job, however big or small, are indispensible, from general pricing and budgeting knowledge, to dealing with sub-contractors, authorising payments, knowing the best suppliers, seriously the list goes on. It's just a pity then when money gets tight for any reason the first person to be dropped from the design team always seems to be the QS, when in actual fact if you want to keep a good hold on the financial situation the QS should be last person to go!! end of rant.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

Not meaning to second guess you but are you ONLY taking on the QS's?
    Can they issue the required certs if the work needs to be certified. I understand the merits of having a QS on board but to give them charge of everything!! I am a firm believer that every profession in this industry should stick to what they know best. I know that you said the two lads will look after the workmanship end but I know lots of highly experienced, highly recomended builders having good workmanship but failing to build the house correctly because they didnt put the correct insulation in the walls or above the ceiling or fitting out the toilet so that it is not Part M compliant. These are only a few issues that a qualified engineer or architect would spot that may be missed and poor detailing can always be covered by a good plasterer and joiner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭barryi200

I myself am a QS, charatered, and working with a top 5 main contractor.

When it comes to certifing payments for main contractors as such in your case - i can't certify that works valued and complete at various stages are as per current building regs - you need an architect or engineering consultant to certify that such is in accordance with Building regs.
    If your drawing monies down from a bank for your project - the bank may insist or will require a certificate from either an architect or engineering consultant to release same.

They could get around this by imputing there names as the architect in the contract documents, which would allow them to administrate the contract etc.

How the latter would stack up in the court of law if things went the legal route in the future due to other reasons etc. i do not know. The fact that there not a competant qualified architect(s) might go against you in any possible legal battles etc. in the future. Again the main contractor has a duty of care towards you etc. Have'nt looked at the general main contracts used here in a while to answer same!!

Ask the questions on the issues i raised above to your 2 QS's and come back please as i would be interested to see what they say on this one..:)

Advertisement