Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 or ps3.

• 25-02-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok im finally getting around to buying myself a "next gen" console and im not too sure what to get. I know i dont like the wii(although mario is class). Im leaning to an x box just because i cant really see too many reasons to buy me a ps3. All the major games are out on both consoles with the x box performing better in my eyes for most of them (using game trailers comparisons). Also it has exclusives like lost oddesy and bioshock.

I do have a few gripes with the 360 though, its so fricken loud its not even funny, also what are the odds of the tech being pushed to its limits any time soon and what good ps exclusives are on the way. All this not to mention the 360s attrocious break down record kinda put me off.

So, Convince me here....what console should i get?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

This is a really good idea for a thread....its NEVER been done before :rolleyes:

Op do a little search ......therea a dosen threads already

Oh ya........Xbox

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Patricide wrote: »
    Ok im finally getting around to buying myself a "next gen" console and im not too sure what to get. I know i dont like the wii(although mario is class). Im leaning to an x box just because i cant really see too many reasons to buy me a ps3. All the major games are out on both consoles with the x box performing better in my eyes for most of them (using game trailers comparisons). Also it has exclusives like lost oddesy and bioshock.

I do have a few gripes with the 360 though, its so fricken loud its not even funny, also what are the odds of the tech being pushed to its limits any time soon and what good ps exclusives are on the way. All this not to mention the 360s attrocious break down record kinda put me off.

Just to let you know, I have a new xbox 360, it has a BenQ LiteON drive and is quiet, it makes a little noise but really no more than my pc which isnt noisey, those new HDMI models have all BenQ drives afaik (Bar the elite afaik ?), even in games like saints row the console isnt noisey (and SR is apparently known to be the noisiest game as its constantly streaming), My 360 hasnt broken down yet, but I did only get it this xmas lol :D, also graphics comparisions you are correct, unless game is made for the ps3 the ports can look and play very poor, the orange box was terrible on ps3 framerate issiues not as good graphics, looks like lost planet ps3 isnt up to much either here

Nick

I got to go with the Xbox for this one . I just see nothing great about the PS3 . THis is also coming from a big playstation fan. I had the very first PS2 in Ireland when that was launched . But i got the xbox 360 and i just think they are great. I actually have 3 of them now. They never broke on me. Xbox live kicks a$$. They are also the cheaper option and more games to choose from. Graphic wise, xbox is still looking better then PS3. Although i am sure that will change as the years go on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Patricide wrote: »

I'm guessin that GTA4 will push the 360 to its limits.How theyve managed to fit it onto a dvd astounds me.Unless its on a few discs that is.I have both consoles and if i was to choose between them on the basis of gaming i'd deffo get the 360.As an entertainment system though the ps3 wins hands down.Blu-ray disc is now a big advantage.The ps3, in time may progress to become a great "gaming" machine but at the moment that feat only belongs to the 360(dont start about the wii that is'nt even a console IMO)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I'm guessin that GTA4 will push the 360 to its limits.How theyve managed to fit it onto a dvd astounds me.Unless its on a few discs that is.I have both consoles and if i was to choose between them on the basis of gaming i'd deffo get the 360.As an entertainment system though the ps3 wins hands down.Blu-ray disc is now a big advantage.The ps3, in time may progress to become a great "gaming" machine but at the moment that feat only belongs to the 360(dont start about the wii that is'nt even a console IMO)
    Blu Ray disc has no advantages, bar you can install games to hard drive, and thats because Blu Ray discs are slower to read so developing a game to stream on ps3 is actually more difficult!, trust me, with compression games can be made fit on DVD 9 with room left no problem, pc strangehold game was something rediculous like 14 gig install size, that fitted into a DVD9 on 360 without any quality loss? Yep :)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Patricide,

What exclusive games are you interested in?

Gears of War, Bioshock, Halo...?

Or

Metal Gear Solid, Socom, Gran Turismo, LittleBigPlanet...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

I got to go with the Xbox for this one . I just see nothing great about the PS3 . THis is also coming from a big playstation fan. I had the very first PS2 in Ireland when that was launched . But i got the xbox 360 and i just think they are great. I actually have 3 of them now. They never broke on me. Xbox live kicks a$$. They are also the cheaper option and more games to choose from. Graphic wise, xbox is still looking better then PS3. Although i am sure that will change as the years go on .

Why do you need 3 Xbox 360's?:confused:

yoyo wrote: »
    Blu Ray disc has no advantages, bar you can install games to hard drive, and thats because Blu Ray discs are slower to read so developing a game to stream on ps3 is actually more difficult!, trust me, with compression games can be made fit on DVD 9 with room left no problem, pc strangehold game was something rediculous like 14 gig install size, that fitted into a DVD9 on 360 without any quality loss? Yep :)

Nick

To be honest when i was talkin about blu-ray, i meant being able to play bluray movies.About that dvd9 thing i see your point but lets be honest compression can only go so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

wii=children / morons / people who actually can not play a modern game
    xbox360= excellent live gamers /great adult original games / a beast of a machine
    ps3= pussy machine.

Meatwad wrote: »
    xbox360= excellent live gamers /great adult original games / a beast of a machine
    ps3= pussy machine.

No doubt about which one you own/endorse....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ps3= pussy machine.

Some brilliant unbiased advice here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ps3= pussy machine.
    You sound like a well informed expert. I'd like to sign up to your newslatter... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I agree with samsamson, it really depends on what exclusives your interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

ps3= pussy machine.

Educated argument :D:D

Hes got a point though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ps3= pussy machine.

What an ignoramus. At least I can get some sick pleasure in you denying yourself the pleasures of super mario galaxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Well to be honest i dont give a toss about blu rey as i dont have a hd tv now and i dont intent buying one in the coming 4 or so yeas haha. I just keep seeing mgs when i see the playstation but then i think hey xbox got metal gear 2 so..... im leaning tword the 360 but the noise issues and the breakdown history is keeping me away. Anyone give any comments about them i know ther was a poll here before saying that somthing like 50 per cent of people had a breakdown and that kinda freaked me out haha.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

People throw phrases like pussy machine around too readily on internet forums these days. Back in my day it was Ladybit thinkengine.
    I reckon in a few years there will be little to choose between the two. The PS3 will probably pull ahead, apparently its out pre-ordering the 360 for GTA4. I would go for the 360 though. There are just more games and better games at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

That's not entirely accurate. The 360's *peak* read speed is faster than the PS3's Blu Ray drive, but the PS3 has higher average speeds.

This is because DVDs spin at a constant rate - this means data on the outside of the disc flies past the laser really quickly, giving high speeds, but data on the inside of the disc flies past much more slowly. The Blu Ray drive on the other hand varies spin speed so as to mantain a consistent read speed.

Of course this means that small games which can fit all of the important data on the outside of the disc will read faster on 360, while larger games that need to use the whole disc will read slower on 360, at least for those bits further in on the disc. In practice the difference is pretty negligible between the two overall. Far more insignificant than the difference in memory architecture and the difference a hard drive makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

This is because DVDs spin at a constant rate - this means data on the outside of the disc flies past the laser really quickly, giving high speeds, but data on the inside of the disc flies past much more slowly.

I love these incorrect technical assumptions , heres why its wrong ,

Its called zoned bit recording , the data on the outside of the disc is recorded at a different frequency or bit densiity rate than the data on the inside of the disc which is recorded at a higher frequency , the idea is to keep the ariel density of the bit rate constant no matter what section of the disc is being read. This is the same for any disc technology , from hard discs to optical discs.

In short , the bit rate and drive speed remains constant no matter what section of the disc is being read and this applies to all disc technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Right now I'd still recommend the 360 over the PS3. Great games. Get some boardsies on your friends list and join in on the fun :)

Is the HDTV thing about budget? They've come down in price a lot and you'd be surprised at the difference in picture quality. Or you could always pick up a projector cheap enough at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

well im a broke college drop out working in michael guineys for well under the minimum wage so, no i think the hd tv is out of the differece......:P . Tbh i dont see much difference, well not enough to make me buy a hd tv anyway.

Advertisement