Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAT on captial expenditure

• 25-02-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,
    Congratulation's on a brilliant site, this is my first post so hopefully someone can help.
    I am in the process of setting up a limited business and am looking into getting a premises sorted out. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction with regard to the VAT implications when buying a premises. My understanding is that that is i purchase a premises i am liable for VAT and cannot reclaim. Is this correct and if so is there any deductions which can be claimed? Is there capital allowances which can be claimed?

Thanks,
    Pat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

VAT on property is quite complicated added to which all the rules have changed this year.

Capital allowances are applicable regardless.

What type of premises are you purchasing / building?

Most start up companies purchase a lease- is this the case?

If you are VAT registered and purchase the freehold in a building for business purposes and it is used wholly for business purposes, generally you can reclaim the VAT paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 patw

I am looking at purchasing an existing premises which has not been previously used. I know that if I lease I would be able to claim the VAT back but am curious if this also applies to buying out the freehold title of the property. This property will only be used in a business capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You can claim the VAT back but you will need to get VAT registered first. Incorporate the company and get VAT registered before you buy the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 patw

Thanks for all the help i appreciate it.

Advertisement