Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a Chimney required on a new build?

• 25-02-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Ok quick one, I have started a new build and I have decided to omit the fireplace from the sitting room and go with no chimney on the house. Two reasons really.

1. I want to go with a HRV system if budget allows.
    2. I don't lke open fires I think they take up too much room and the majority of the heat goes up the chimney and when you don't have a fire going you might as well have no insualtion in the room.

So is it against the building reg's to not have a chimney?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

should be no problem at all. We built a house last year and for much the same reason as yourself decided against a fireplace/Chimney.
    leaves much more options for the room it would be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

No requirement to have a chimney in a house there's many developments build without them.. You can alway put a mock one on, for visual purposes when you get to roofing stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

half way there already to a good house Villain . Go the whole hog and get the air tightness details and testing done and you will be set . Be aware that HRV in a building that is not very air tight will suck in cold air - better off without it in that case . the omission of a chimney will go far toward cost of HRV ( budget Euro 12k)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sinnerboy, is that 12k for the HRV or the chimney?

To the op, no chimney is a good thing, I often suggest not doing one where it won't be used

the HRV . cost for chimney depends on design but it can add 1000's esp with scaffolding .

• Advertisement

sorry , shot from the hip there

.... should add this is based several qoutes in ( 5 in fact ) for a very large house ( 500m2 ) . price breaks down roughly as follows 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 vent unit / ducting / labour .

I should think even a 250m2 house would still require budget of 8-10k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cheers for the replys guys, good to get some positive feedback, a lot of people have insisted I am mad to go without a chimney and open fire.

I have got 3 quotes for a HRV system sinnerboy, range from €5k without fitting to €8k including fitting with 1 in between for €6,500 inc fitting. I really want to put in a HRV system but its a Dormer and I just don't think I will get the air tightness to make it worth while. I'm going back to my window quotes to see if I get windows with vents that can be closed so I could get the ducting in now for HRV and spend the money making it air tight then put in the HRV system once I get money and close the window vents not sure if that makes much sense though.

I didn't build a chimney either, no one really noticed until the missus pointed it out to them! She still thinks that others would find it strange to have no chimney.
    Some people seem to be programmed into thinking if they don't see flames then it aint warm! We sit there in short sleeves and the SIL keeps the coat on! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Villain wrote: »
    a lot of people have insisted I am mad to go without a chimney and open fire.

The reason being that a lot of people would be put off buying a house without a chimney. Self builders sometimes have problems selling due to issues such as this and another good one is not having the 3 or 4 bedrooms in the same area.

There are a lot of one off houses (newish <10 years old) for sale that the self builder thought they would be in for life.

Well that may be true to a degree, however with BER ratings now coming into affect I think people will be more concerned with the rating than having an open fireplace.

Plus with my sitting room it would be very easy to install a gas fire with a hole through the external wall for a vent.

Open fires are the worst way to heat an area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

As already stated, the only downside is that the house could be difficult to sell in the future. If the design is good then people might not notice the missing chimney but if its a blocky 2 storey bungalow itll look like there is something missing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

250882 wrote: »
    As already stated, the only downside is that the house could be difficult to sell in the future. If the design is good then people might not notice the missing chimney but if its a blocky 2 storey bungalow itll look like there is something missing.

:eek:

That was intentional. I personally think that the word bungalow sums up everything along the lines of rectangular floor plan, hipped roof, horizontally emphasised faux georgian fenestrated white pvc windows, boxed gables, classic columns, bay windows, pvc patio doors facing north, industrial mustard coloured drydash with quoins on a maniquered lawn with laurel hedging and a tarmac drive perched intimidatingly on top of a hill.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

250882 wrote: »
    That was intentional. I personally think that the word bungalow sums up everything along the lines of rectangular floor plan, hipped roof, horizontally emphasised faux georgian fenestrated white pvc windows, boxed gables, classic columns, bay windows, pvc patio doors facing north, industrial mustard coloured drydash with quoins on a maniquered lawn with laurel hedging and a tarmac drive perched intimidatingly on top of a hill.

:D:D:D:D

STAND UP AND TAKE A BOW 'BUNGALOW BLISS'....

excellent synopsis 250882.....

250882 have a look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055095078 and let me know if you class mine in that way?

Cheers

My opinion!!! (you just opened pandoras box)
    I dont think much of the elevations but they dont matter. Youve really put a lot of thought into your floor plans and thats where it really counts. congrats, I think that the open plan living dining kitchen with a seperate lounge area will be a great space for everyday living, you have a bedroom on ground floor which means if you have guests they dont need to go upstairs. Overall I think you did very well. Its really refreshing to see somebody take a chance on a design that they think will suit their lifestyle and not just build a house to impress the neighbours. Really like the element of split level too seperates the living area from the dining without putting up walls definately not bungalow bliss!!!!!

Thanks 250882, great to get some positive feedback, hopefully it will turn out as I hope.

When I show the design to people it gets a very mixed reaction, some really like it and some think its too complicated but I went for a design that suits me as hopefully I will be living in it for many years.

What you have is obviously a very personalised design that you think will suit you and that to me is good design. too many people go for the generic house plan and then try to make sure that they conform to its constraints.

Advertisement