Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with Number & IPhone

• 25-02-2008 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I recently got my hands on a software unlocked 8GB iphone v1.1.2. I put in a Meteor SIM and straight away I see that it picked up the carrier and is connected to Meteor. At this stage I thought great!.

Then when I went to open up the dialer to tap out a phone number, as soon as I press a single digit, the dialer closes and brings me back to the main iPhone menu. When looking at (Settings -> Phone) it states "My Number" is a number that is not mine. It's an 085 number, but the SIM I've inserted is an 086 number on Meteor network. I'm guessing that this has something to do with why I can't make a call or send SMS. All other features from my quick test (wifi, etc) seem to be working, but this is very strange.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me. This phone is a 21st present, that I'm hoping to give later on this evening.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The 085 number is the original number assigned to the simcard prior to you porting an 086 number on to the sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

jmccrohan wrote: »
    The 085 number is the original number assigned to the simcard prior to you porting an 086 number on to the sim.
    Ah that's fair enough.

Right I am still having the "press a single digit in the dialer and the keypad closes and brings me back to the main menu" problem. I read somewhere online that some Oz guy changed his region settings to his locale and that sorted it out. I have changed the region settings to Ireland and still cannot dial.

I have also inserted a 087 number (vodafone sim card) in to the phone. It straight away connected to Vodafone IE, but still the same problem as above the dialer keypad closes after I press a single digit. Only difference this time is that in (Settings -> Phone) it doesn't state "My Number" and I also have SIM Applications menu option available to me which gives me a list of loads of Vodafone type services.

Any ideas?

[edit]I just tried ringing the phone with the vodafone SIM in it, and I just got diverted to voicemail. bugger :([/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

I think you have to install iworld,select ireland, then restart the iPhone

Not sure how to install iworld but im sure you'll get instructions if you google it.

God damn it. I can see iWorld in Tweaks 1.1.2 in Installer, but when I try to install it, it goes to initiate a connection and says "Package Download Failed". I am connected to the Internet over wifi, so I'm not getting a "Cannot find host" error message, this is different.

[edit]Looking further in to it, it seems that the error message means that my Installer source information could be out of date and that iWorld may not exist at that location anymore". This would suggest its more of a "file not found" problem than a comms issue.[/edit]

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Check on youtube! I've seen the same problem documented on there. Plus a fix follows. It apparently is very easy! Sorry I don't have a link!

• Advertisement

Obskure wrote: »
    It apparently is very easy!
    Yes it is.

As per my last post, I believe my Installer sources were outdated. So I simply did an install/update of the Community Sources to v3.6 (this installed without generating error). Once installed, I was then able to use the Installer to install iWorld. Once iWorld was installed, run with Ireland (locale) selected and system rebooted. Everything now worked!! :D

Thanks for your input everyone.

Advertisement