Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were driving to Cavan..

• 25-02-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

If you, like myself, had to make a trip to Cavan, which way would you go?

AA Roadwatch says head for the M50 and then cut off to Cavan.. that seems a bit mad!

Any other ideas from seasoned drivers?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Satnav also has you taking the M50 and turning off on the N3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I do it regular enough. Depends on where you're leaving from in Waterford and what time.

The obvious route is the M50/N3 and up, the route I'd take midweek is the W/ford to Dublin main road, turning off near Naas for Sallins, on to Clane, Kilcock, Dunshaughlin, Navan.....wherever in Cavan you're going to then.

The Friday evening 5:30 route from the Old Kilmeaden Road starting point is out toward Portlaw, cross at Fiddown, on to Piltown, Owning, Kilmaganny, Kells, skirting Kilkenny via a half dozen roundabouts and heading to Castlecomer, on to Athy, joining the main W/ford to Dublin road on the M9, on to the M7 and then the Sallins route as above.

Not exactly logical but I'd rather walk than sit in my car trying to get across the bridge at that time and then getting caught by the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've never done Waterford Cavan, but I did come back from south Donegal once cross country and it took the same time if not more than going via Dublin. I do north Donegal regularly, and Dublin + M1 then Monaghan is by far the fastest, though probably too far out of the way for Cavan. Roen's route sounds like a good plan, but have a look at Via Michelin as well

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

I have been travelling to West Cavan for the last 12 years and have always gone via Kilkenny, Durrow, Portlaoise, Tullamore, Ballymahon (on the back roads), Longford and so on. But recently discovered that taking the main road to Longford via Mullingar is much better since all the by-passes have been opened.
    If you are heading to Cavan town then you could cut across to Granard once you get to Mullingar.

I have been travelling to West Cavan for the last 12 years and have always gone via Kilkenny, Durrow, Portlaoise, Tullamore, Ballymahon (on the back roads), Longford and so on. But recently discovered that taking the main road to Longford via Mullingar is much better since all the by-passes have been opened.
    If you are heading to Cavan town then you could cut across to Granard once you get to Mullingar.

Have to confess to knowing none of those roads! I did them both on the AA route planner and there's less than 1km in the difference between your way and my way Johnny, are the roads better one way or the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

surely you must know somebody that might lend you a sat nav ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Roen wrote: »
    Have to confess to knowing none of those roads! I did them both on the AA route planner and there's less than 1km in the difference between your way and my way Johnny, are the roads better one way or the other?

I guess it depends which part of the county you are driving to. For me, I just drew a straight line from home to Waterford and followed that as close as possible. The road from Waterford to Kilkenny can be slow enough if you get stuck behind traffic but from there on it tends to be quiet enough. I can usually make Longford in under 3 hours (within the speed limits)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I've done Enniskillen-Waterford a few times, and I went via Cavan, Granard, Tullamore, Portlaoise and KK. The roads aren't fantastic, but the traffic is fairly light. The only place I did get held up in was Mullingar, so maybe if you can find your way around there rather than through, it would work. Also the new section of ring road in KK takes you from the Castlecomer Road at Dunmore right around the city to the Waterford Road.

I guess it depends which part of the county you are driving to. For me, I just drew a straight line from home to Waterford and followed that as close as possible. The road from Waterford to Kilkenny can be slow enough if you get stuck behind traffic but from there on it tends to be quiet enough. I can usually make Longford in under 3 hours (within the speed limits)

Cheers Johnny, was dying sick so couldn't reply. I guess it's a matter of personal preference and luck at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement