Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

320d high mileage - good buy?

Options
  • 25-02-2008 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi like to follow various discussions here from time to time and now would like to pose a question of my own.

Have been offered a 03 320d, only had two previous owners but it has almost 118k miles on it,
    Like the car, (very clean etc, service history every 20k ish)
    Like the price.

Is it too many miles for a 03 BMW? Cause its a diesel reckon it should be well able for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I drive an 03 320D and as long as they are serviced properly with the log book stamped then you'll be fine considering the price is right.

BMW digital mileometers are notoriously easy to clock, so make sure the service history isn't forged and is clean.

There are a couple of small 'gotchas' with that particular model. In my own case, my exhaust box went (still drove, but sounded like a Panzer tank) and the fuel regulator needed to be replaced (would cause car to cut out from time to time when pulling off).

The milage is fantastic with that model too. I average about 50 mpg in the city. It's also an animal performance wise as they are rated at 150bhp (Audi A4s of the same vintage and engine size are 115bhp max).

Personally, if I was buying something like this all over again, I'd go up North.

How much is the asking price and what extras come with the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

flyaway wrote: »
    Hi like to follow various discussions here from time to time and now would like to pose a question of my own.

Have been offered a 03 320d, only had two previous owners but it has almost 118k miles on it,
    Like the car, (very clean etc, service history every 20k ish)
    Like the price.

Is it too many miles for a 03 BMW? Cause its a diesel reckon it should be well able for it.

Is the service frequency on a diesel not supposed to be every 8000-10000 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

quarryman wrote: »
    Is the service frequency on a diesel not supposed to be every 8000-10000 miles?

no 15,000 -20,000, but with mine i get it done at 10,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Make sure the turbo's been replaced(I think BMW recalled the car for it). The original turbo is noted for failing on 320ds between 02 and 04. Otherwise, it should be reliable.

Like all BMWs since the E23 7 series introduced in 1977, the 320d has variable servicing intervals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That's the mileage of a 10 year old car. If it's an Irish car, it'll have a suspension of a 10 year old car, and expect to have to replace a load of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'd like to see how these cars are 'Easy to clock'. The milage is stored in 3 places. Like any car it can be clocked, but would love to know how its SO easy

The weak turbos were in production until Nov 03. If the car was built before Nov 03 and on original turbo, i'd walk away personally

There was NOT a turbo recall, however if the turbo/cat went, they were changed free of charge under warranty. Sometimes, after warranty, BMW would pay for this job as a 'goodwill' *if* the car had a FBMWSH

Failed turbo aint the end of the world, about £650 for a new turbo plus labour. If the cat gets damaged (from oil pouring into the exhaust) it can add considerably to the bill

The 320d is a great car, I love mine, but thats with the re-assurance because my engine/turbo was replaced in 2004. At 85k miles I changed the shocks, and i'm going to replace my wishbones in the next few weeks (I'm now at 90k)

Not a crazy expensive car to keep in top nick, just use decent oil, don't be tempted to use cheapo stuff. I use BMW filters out of personal choice. Make sure you change your crankcase breather filter every 2nd oil service

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The milage is fantastic with that model too. I average about 50 mpg in the city. It's also an animal performance wise as they are rated at 150bhp (Audi A4s of the same vintage and engine size are 115bhp max).
    130 TDI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

The engine is well capable of well more miles than that with the turbos changed if it needed it from the problems. But remember, the rest of the car can only handle so much and 118k in 4 years is just shy of 30k every year. That's in or around 600 miles a week every week for the last 4 years. The suspension, and particularly the interior of the car would've taken some beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Squirrel wrote: »
    The engine is well capable of well more miles than that with the turbos changed if it needed it from the problems. But remember, the rest of the car can only handle so much and 118k in 4 years is just shy of 30k every year. That's in or around 600 miles a week every week for the last 4 years. The suspension, and particularly the interior of the car would've taken some beating.

TBH a car with 100k motorway miles will probably have a healthier suspension than a 50k 'town driving' car

BMW isin't renouned for it's suspension components anyhow. Like I said, 80k I changed my shocks and they were overdue tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 flyaway

Thanks for all the help.

It doesn't seem to have any turbo lag, would that indicate all is ok? How would I know if the turbo is doddgy??

It was due for nct in June but not done till november (so nct till June 09) passed first time has report etc, would that have indicated any issues with shocks etc?

I should probably have said its a private sale asking €17,900 (has 18inch mcvs2 alloys with 4 new tyres for nct in november, not many other extras, bmw alarm, air con)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Maybe the fact that the market is flooded with imported 3 series has had an impact on the price?

It seems the turbo is the main issue here, get that sussed and you could have a nice car - the mileage shouldn't be an issue if its had regular oil changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 flyaway

ya I was wondering about the imported ones alrite, what kind of effect they will have on the market after July etc,

still for a car I semi know reckon its an ok price

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

flyaway wrote: »
    Is it too many miles for a 03 BMW?

Depends where you're coming from. Technically the car should be able to do a huge mileage if maintained properly. But Irish buyers don't like high mileages, so be prepared for a shock when you come to sell it

If you don't plan to sell it, than indeed you can now take advantage of it being excellent value for money

Look at the sticky about the VRT changes though. It might make sense to import one yourself after July '08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Squirrel wrote: »

Perfectly said!

The majority of engines are capable of mileage well in excess of this providing they've been properly maintained - especially diesel engines, which take huge mileage! - Its the rest of the car you need to worry about , clutches, suspension components, brakes and at almost 120k miles youll also be looking at the 2nd timing belt change (although the 320d is a timing chain)

I know of a 406 HDI with 222k miles on it - engine is PERFECT, still smooth , pulls strongly and starts first time every time - absolutely no issues at all!! ... the rest of the car however sounds like a skeleton dancing on a biscuit tin as none of the suspension components have been changed on it!

C_Breeze wrote: »
    The majority of engines are capable of mileage well in excess of this providing they've been properly maintained - especially diesel engines, which take huge mileage!

Last week on my holidays I was in a late 90s Mercedes E-class taxi 250d which was at nearly a million kilometers. Suspension was fine. Comfortable. No rattles at all

I've been in about 5 or 6 cars that had done about a million kilometers or more. All were taxis. All were Mercedes. All were diesel. This one was the only W210 though. All others were older...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

unkel wrote: »
    Last week on my holidays I was in a late 90s Mercedes E-class taxi 250d which was at nearly a million kilometers. Suspension was fine. Comfortable. No rattles at all

I've been in about 5 or 6 cars that had done about a million kilometers or more. All were taxis. All were Mercedes. All were diesel. This one was the only W210 though. All others were older...

Lol where was that, Afghanistan?

unkel wrote: »

Must have been well maintained im sure but at 1mil km's (about 600k miles?) i doubt it was on its original suspension, shocks etc? ... if it was, that would certainly be very impressive!

mick.fr... that was very random :confused:

i doubt it was on its original suspension, shocks etc?

Probably not, but that's talking minor money anyway in the grand scheme of things

mick.fr wrote: »
    Lol where was that, Afghanistan?

Where was what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

mick.fr... that was very random :confused:

You guys have definitely no humor.
    Hopefully Guinness is here to make us smiling :-)

• Advertisement

You guys have definitely no humor.
    Hopefully Guinness is here to make us smiling :-)

If you pretended to be stuck in an invisible box, i'd find it funny ;)

You guys have definitely no humor

Perhaps you should have stayed on that side of the pond :p

Advertisement