Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

6 months driving before taking the test ?

Options
  • 25-02-2008 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Ok heres the deal, i just started driving. my provisional was issued on feb 1st and just looking at the new rules it says i must be driving 6 months before taking a test. I know the waiting list is a shambles but if i get called and I am only driving technically 5 months or 5 and a half months will I still be able to take the test ? I have heard of some nitpicky testers. I was going to book the test just there but I'll await a few answers.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kill-joy

I dont know much about the new system, but if I were you I would just book your test, for the Dublin test centres it seems to take about 4 months and longer for the rest, most people fail there first test and theres a good chance nothing will be said to you if you are driving for less then 6 months and its worth while getting that first test in there fast as it will give your confidence for your second test, if you need a second test that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

yes i agree with Kill-Joy, just go ahead and book it.
    I was waiting 54 weeks for my test - no joking. I'm from Wicklow and its just a shambles down here.
    Anyway - when you're booking the test ask someone about the whole driving for at least 6 months. (which if it is true, I think is completely unfair.)
    Anyway good luck with the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,853 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i thought the rules was you had to be driving for 6 months and have proof of having takn 10 lessons before you could even apply for the test. I could be wrong though, I have passed my test so I didn't pay all that much attention to the new rules, could have sworn thats what they were though.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

http://www.drivingtest.ie/frameset.html
    click on 'preparing for your test'
    it doesn't say anything of the like here, nothing about driving for at least....or having 10 lessons.
    So i'd say you're good to go ahead and just apply for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

AFAIK this is one of the changes coming in with the new Learner Permits. You're grand with the current Provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mmad

I actually have a learner permit.

http://www.drivingtest.ie/frameset.html

Look at new rules first time learner permit holders. I applied anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Typical Paddy Bulsh*t

In many countries, learning to drive is structured, you go to a designated training area to learn the basics of car control - ie how to do a three point turn... on a hill, when you've passed the basic handling proficiency element, you are then introduced to the traffic side of things.

"We" still have our head up our celtic tiger ar*e IMHO. The sooner we incorporate a degree of reality the better...

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Moved from motors to learning to drive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mmad

Oilrig wrote: »
    Typical Paddy Bulsh*t

In many countries, learning to drive is structured, you go to a designated training area to learn the basics of car control - ie how to do a three point turn... on a hill, when you've passed the basic handling proficiency element, you are then introduced to the traffic side of things.

"We" still have our head up our celtic tiger ar*e IMHO. The sooner we incorporate a degree of reality the better...

Rant over.

Oilrig who is your rant at?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mmad wrote: »
    Ok heres the deal, i just started driving. my provisional was issued on feb 1st and just looking at the new rules it says i must be driving 6 months before taking a test. I know the waiting list is a shambles but if i get called and I am only driving technically 5 months or 5 and a half months will I still be able to take the test ? I have heard of some nitpicky testers. I was going to book the test just there but I'll await a few answers.

Cheers in advance.
    If it was issued on Feb 1st this year , then it is a Learner Permit - not a Provisional Licence.

You must have held it for 6 months before taking the test. The examiner will check the date. Therefore you are eligible to take the test any time after August 1st.

Why do you consider a tester to be "nitpicky" because they carry out their duties in line with statutory regulations?

• Advertisement
Advertisement