Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Chances Of Keeping Berbatov?

• 25-02-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering now that Spurs have won the Carling Cup will they have a better chance of keeping their star striker. Man Utd are the only club I've heard that are interested but I can't see them having Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, Benzema (possibly) not to mention Tevez in the same line up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Even as it stands i dont really think united need anything more then a backup striker, which Manucho can even do (he really looks a great find, though its hard to tell with the African Nations Cup). Rooney is playing more as a CF now then he used to and Tevez is just class.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him stay put for another year unless some big money comes in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I expect him to be there. next season spurs will leapfrog Everton, City, and Villa (im a fan so this is honesty speaking) and will be at minimum fighting with Liverpool for a CL place. They are also the favourites as far as im concerned to win the Uefa cup. things are on the up at white hart lane and he is their main man. He has a great partnership with Keane and is a big hit with the fans so why leave b'cos the paper say Utd would be interested in rotating him with Rooney, Tevez and Saha.

plus after the amount of money united spent last summer do people really expect United to pay what Spurs would be demanding aswell as probably replacing G.Neville (+Wes Brown) at RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I think it depends who comes in, I don't think the fact that they have won the carling cup will have much imact, if they were to win the UEFA cup, it could hold more weight, I get the impression from him that if a big club comes in he will leave.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Milan should go for him.

Personally I think he'll stay put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No matter what happens, Berbatov and Benzema will not both be bought. It will either be a) Berba, b)Benzi, c)None. And its looking more like C everyday, Benzema even said he aint going to United.

I reckon if we can get the most out of Manucho and considering i dont think anyone will buy Saha, we probably wont buy another striker, RB is the problem spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

As a Spurs fan I still wouldnt be confident.

Im sure he is buzzing now but we still have a long way to go. The Carling cup was lovely, especially beating such a good team, but berbatov has league titles and the Champions league on his mind.

I think it all depends on how confident Berbs is that we can go on and really capitalise on this and achieve more.

If we were to win the WAFA cup....now that would be a different story;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    dont think anyone will buy Saha, we probably wont buy another striker, RB is the problem spot.

mark my words, Saha will score some of the most vital goals yet this season. he will have a great run and will prove his vitality to the team. next season, we will have 2 target men, inc manucho and tevez and rooney. whether saha stays is anybodies guess, but i dont think he will go unless we sign somebody. there aint room for 5 striker.

campbell will prob fetch 3 or 4 million as he is doing excellent at hull and hopefully we will take dong, unless there is something that we dont know i.e. he is selling shirts galore in china. also, there is wellbeck to consider and this young italian Federico Macheda who could be a big hit....we are not too bad off and a fully fit saha is a blessing. i wonder how the big angolan is doing in athens??good to see also that evra and vidic are not injured, just a precaution the last day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon there's a good chance he'll be a United player next season. I don't see United hanging on to Saha as he's been too injury prone.

I reckon Ferguson would love to have Berbatov as he would surely be a success in the way Cantona and Sheringham were in that sort of role. He's got so much class.

I think it's likely that Berbatov and Benzema are top of Fergie's list and it's a case of who he wants and whether or not he can do the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think a lot depends on Welbeck. If he is as good as some people connected to the club seem to think he is, and Manucho is as good as some people (pundits) suggest, then there is probably no need to for United to sign another stiker.

I would like to add Saha to that list, but he is just too inconsistent in terms of fitness and ability, he is one player I'd be looking to get rid of in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I don't think Ferguson would be willing to pay what's needed to acquire Berbatov considering the wealth of talent he has at his disposal. compared to the rest of the league Man Utd have more than enough forwards, so i'd only see Berby being bought by Utd if a big name were sold, which i'd imagine is extremely unlikely. I'd imagine Berby would want some guarantee as to first team football which i don't think United could agree to at this moment either. If anyone buy him it'll be Chelsea i think as a replacement for Drogba. that or Milan, but i reckon they'd be after Drogs before Berby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If i owned Manchester United and and had spare millions, i'd get Benzema straight away...what a player. And i haven't even seen that much of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Would love to see Liverpool buy him. Think him and Torres would be a great combination. Liverpool need another frontman, as they will surely sell either Kuyt (hopefully) or Crouch (unfortunately), and probably Voronin too if there is any justice in this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Benzema even said he aint going to United..

everyone has their price, but i think you are right, its either berbatov or benz goin to utd.....and id say come the summer berbatov will be hot property unless spurs win the uefa!

David Villa could be on the market in the summer too - he'd be an excellent buy for most top sides too. Also, someone is bound to hit the scene and be instantly overhyped in the Euro's.

I don't think Berbatov will leave. I honestly think Spurs could make a real challaenge for the CL spots next season. Ramos has really turned them round a I could actually see them going for the title in 3/4 years with the right buys. I think Berbatov will stay while there isa good chance of winning things - Uefa Cup/League Cup/FA Cup are real possibilities.

While I like Berbatov, I don't think he i good enough to justify United getting him.For the price we would have to pay to get Spurs toaccept a bid, I think he is too old. I'm not sure the value for money would be there given we have two young forwards in Tevez and Rooney. If Berbatov was 23/24 i'd be more interested at the price.

Tauren wrote: »
    While I like Berbatov, I don't think he i good enough to justify United getting him.For the price we would have to pay to get Spurs toaccept a bid, I think he is too old. I'm not sure the value for money would be there given we have two young forwards in Tevez and Rooney. If Berbatov was 23/24 i'd be more interested at the price.

I dunno, I reckon he's worth it. His game doesn't exactly require him to mill around the pitch. I'd say he's got five years at least left in him to play at the very top. Rumours I've read have spoken of around £25m plus a swap (I've heard Foster and Saha mentioned). To me that's well worth it.

I reckon Rooney and Berbatov up front would be a partnership that could bring United big success in Europe. While I rate Tevez I feel Berbatov is better than him and Wayne and Berba up front would be a devastating combo I think.

I'd love to see him at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Rumours I've read have spoken of around £25m plus a swap (I've heard Foster and Saha mentioned). To me that's well worth it.

If that's true, it'd be a ridiculous deal. Saha is worth about £10million, so you're talking about £35million for a 27 year-old. He's a good player and all but not worth anywhere near that. £15-20million would be more like it. £25million + Saha would definitely get you Benzema and I'd much prefer to get him.

As for exchanging Foster, who do United get to replace Van der Sar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Would love to see Liverpool buy him. Think him and Torres would be a great combination. Liverpool need another frontman, as they will surely sell either Kuyt (hopefully) or Crouch (unfortunately), and probably Voronin too if there is any justice in this world.

I reckon he'd be better off at Spurs..

An Citeog wrote: »
    If that's true, it'd be a ridiculous deal. Saha is worth about £10million, so you're talking about £35million for a 27 year-old. He's a good player and all but not worth anywhere near that. £15-20million would be more like it. £25million + Saha would definitely get you Benzema and I'd much prefer to get him.

I wouldn't say Saha is worth £10m at this moment in time. He was bought for over twelve million and since then has had a spate of injuries. For a club to take him on would be a bit of a gamble so you'd have to make it worth their while. I reckon United would do well to get £7m for Saha which would mean around £32m for Berbatov. That's not bad in my opinion if you can get five years minimum from Berbatov.

You'd be getting a guy who, unlike Benzema, is already adapted to life in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Depends.
    If Spurs are willing to accept 20 million, they maybe.
    For this to happen, Berbatov has to make it clear he wants to leave.
    Personally I'd love to get him, but Spurs are being unreasonable and Berbatov needs to push towards it.

Who United will buy is an interesting question :)

Do you not think Benzema is a better player than Berbatov?

• Advertisement

He hasn't shown me to be a better player, Berbatov has achieved more and has shown he can do it in a top league. Maybe Benzema will be the better player, maybe he'll end up like Kezman or like Diarra who the French league made look special. Proven talent I'd prefer over another youth prospect, you gotta balance experience with youth I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Personally i think, he will want to leave spurs before somone else like Uniter or the pool would want him.

Hes a decent player, but id say he will move out of the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

cheesedude wrote: »
    Do you not think Benzema is a better player than Berbatov?

Ah come on thats a bit much you not think? His name has only really been mentioned (in mainstream press) maybe a few weeks before the utd match. Yeah he looks exciting but berbs has been savage for most of this season.

Lets see more than one game from benzema against a decent side (although i hope its not man yoo :p) before we say he's better than berbs.

Sorry I meant better prospect...

The prices being quoted for Berbatov is nothing short of insane...at least Benzema is 7 years his junior and not far behind him if anything.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Berbatov and Torres?

The Lyon president is asking fro 45 million for Benzema :) That's insane :)
    Personally I'd prefer Berbatov at 20 million than Benzema at 45.

PHB wrote: »
    Personally I'd prefer Berbatov at 20 million than Benzema at 45.

if those were the prices I would agree - but i think if both players were to move in the summer they would move for similar fees, in which case i would prefer we went for Benzema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I've seen loads of Benzema live and I'm telling you he is going to be the best player on the planet.
    He has everything and can play left, right or through the middle(where he'll surely end up permanently). Even though I rate him so highly his performance against Utd astonished me because this was the first time I saw him play up top on his own (his starting position is usually out on the left flank and he cuts inside)and he even excelled at that.

I'm going to Frances group games in the summer and I can't wait to see him live in the flesh. I rarely hype up players like this..the last being Messi because he was so obviously a genius too.

Get him at all costs would be my advice to any suitors.

Tauren wrote: »
    if those were the prices I would agree - but i think if both players were to move in the summer they would move for similar fees, in which case i would prefer we went for Benzema.

Why?
    The Lyon president has said he doesn't want to sell him, and his price is 45 million. Benzema does not want to leave. And, if he's as good as people think he is, everybody will want him. As such, there's no way he's gona go for less than 30 million, and knowing the Lyon president, who has gotten some crazy money in for players, he'll get the 45 off one of United, Chelsea, Madrid, Milan, Barca or anyone else interested in him.

• Advertisement

Berbatov and Torres?

I don't see Spurs signing Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

PHB wrote: »
    Personally I'd prefer Berbatov at 20 million

do Utd really need another striker who prefers to drop deep?

It's not about dropping deep. Ruud sometimes dropped deep. It's about ability to provide a different threat.

Berbatov would give us a different threat. Aside from his ability to take down from a long kick is something we don't have, even Saha isn't great at it.
    His flick ons are also something that would really work well with the pace of the rest of the attack.
    He wouldn't stretch defenses like say Eto or even Saha do, but he does do it to some extent, and his ability to bring down balls gives us a totally different option to be honest.

Him and Manucho would be pretty fantastic additions to us, giving us all the options we need up front. Hell personally I'm hopeful we bring back Rossi to give us another option, but I doubt that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

An Citeog wrote: »

do you really think a very injury prone saha could still get 10 million?

Berbatov is over rated...no way near worth what people say he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

is 20 mill berbs' supposed value? Well if you base it on say Darren Bent who was 16 then you'd have to say it would be a fair price. The 40 odd im hearing for Benzema is ridiculous. For that amount of money youd want to see him perform at some decent level. Rooney was what, 30? after a great showing at the euros and decent run of games in the premiership.

Nunu seems to have seen some of him but imo until he plays some more champs league and internationals its a bit presumptuous to be talking 40+.

Just thinking but i dont remember hearing anything about him after rangers game, anyone see him against them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

do you really think a very injury prone saha could still get 10 million?

Didn't realise he was 29 either.:eek: Tbh, I think he could fetch up to 10 million, depending on how he does for the rest of the season, whether/how he plays for France at the Euros and a couple of other factors like market demand.

My original point still stands though. £25million + a player for Berbatov is far too much. £20million tops or maybe £12-15 + Saha is the most he's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Mad_Max wrote: »

Just thinking but i dont remember hearing anything about him after rangers game, anyone see him against them?

Yes, he absolutely destroyed them at Ibrox back in December, scoring 2 late goals in a 0-3 win.

is 20 mill berbs' supposed value? Well if you base it on say Darren Bent who was 16 then you'd have to say it would be a fair price. The 40 odd im hearing for Benzema is ridiculous. For that amount of money youd want to see him perform at some decent level. Rooney was what, 30? after a great showing at the euros and decent run of games in the premiership.

Nunu seems to have seen some of him but imo until he plays some more champs league and internationals its a bit presumptuous to be talking 40+.

This is also the same president who said Utd can have ben arfa if they give Ronaldo and money...he is a piss taker...

40 odd million is just a bull**** figure to say "he is a very important player for us." 30 million and i guarantee you could talk to him. Lyon are a selling club anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i really really really like the look of him and the potential he is showing, but i dont want him right now, i want a totally different option to what we've got and i want someone who is proven at a high level, doesnt have to be particularly young, or high in price, he will be a backup or rotation striker anyway so there is no need to go spending ludicris amounts of money on one, id even be open to looking into a possible transfer of Kenwayne Jones (not the first time ive said that) hes a strong guy, big, chips in with goals and has a fair share of assists too in a poor sunderland team.

We have Rooney and Tevez and sometimes Saha, do you really think Berba would be happy to sit on the bench for a few games? or Benzema for that matter, and how could you justify the amount of money you have to spend to get either and then the wages if they are gonna spend alot of time on the bench?

What im looking for personally is an Ole Solskjaer, a Teddy Sheringham, someone who you can throw into a game to make an impact...im happy with the starting strike force we have and see no reason to change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Couple of points on this one -

1) 10 million for Saha? Ha good luck with that. He's an injury prone 29 year old who hasn't done much of significant note in a good while. 7 million at the very most. I wouldn't pay more than 5.

2) United need a Berbatov-type striker to give them a different dimension up front. Neither Rooney or Tevez would be considered a 'striker'. If both are having an off day/one is suspended, there isn't that option in the squad currently. Case in point being the recent derby - no Rooney, Tevez well shackled, no alternative to change the game up front.

3) Benzema is a class act, although he is not worth that sort of figure yet. I'd pay up to 25 million for him due to his age and potential but until I see him regularly outside the French league I wouldn't go any higher.

To answer the OP's question, I don't see any reason why Berbatov would leave in the summer. I think he'll give it next year with Ramos and if nothing happens he'll head to Milan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think he will see how the rest of the season goes, and who we bring in early in the summer.
    he wants success, and he wants to know that he can get it with spurs. if he doesnt think we will be hitting the CL places, he will be off.

And if he goes, i would hope it would be to a foreign club. theres no way id want him going to a rival english club.

but i think Pepe Le Fritz is onto something, him and torress would be great, but again, i dont see torres signing for liverpool. mind you, hes the only one that seems to be playing for them at the moment, and who knows what these money hungry foreign players will do :)

i must admit, i also laughed at the user who said spurs were being unreasonable. typical utd supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

typical utd supporter.

WWM strikes again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Trilla wrote: »
    WWM strikes again

in what way?

They are being unreasonable. Just like the Lyon president is being unreasonable. Doesn't mean they shouldn't do it, but doesn't change the fact. 30 million for a striker with no re-sale value would never be even considered before Chelsea came to town.

How are Spurs being unreasonable? Berbatov has a good 3 years on his contract and is our star player. We are a team with ambition and will be looking to strengthen our squad. You expect us to sell him at what you think he's worth rather than what he's worth to us? Personally, I wouldn't sell him for less than 35 million, that way we can sign 3 great players rather than take the Carrick route and end up having no replacement (Zokora?) which pushed us back a season.

When I meant unreasonable, I might it was not an accurate account of his value to them. Not that they weren't justified in doing that, if they want to, fair enough.
    Berbatov is 27 years old. Realistically has about 4 years left in him at the highest level.
    That would mean the value of Berbatov per year to Spurs would be 7.5 million per year + wages, so 10ish? That's not his value, Ronaldo wouldn't even be worth that per year [well maybe he would if you took into account marketing and stuff]
    There's no way he is worth 10 million a year to you, as such, unreasonable.

If he was 24, then 30 million could well be too low :) But he's 27, so it's different :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

What the United fans are trying to say Eamo is that small slubs like Spurs should know their place and when a big club like Yanited come in for one of our players we should doff our caps and take the mirrors and shiny beads on offer.

What a crock of sh1t.

Two main things will decide Berbatov's "value" if he moves on:

1. The minimum Spurs are prepared to sell for.
    2. The maximum the buying club is prepared to pay for him.

#2 might be influenced by the interest of other clubs, #1 might be influenced by the legth of contract outstanding. The two central factors will remain the same.

Unreasonable my arse.

Would United accept less than their own valuation for Vidic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

in what way?

Even though I agree with you, Spurs have him under contract and he signed it. They are entitled to hold on to them if they can I believe. He was happy enough to sign that contract, he lives in London and Spurs have a chance to go places. If Spurs want to hold out for the best fee they can or get the best from the player then spurs can do. What about United with Heinze. The felt it would benefit them to not sell him to another one of the top 5 in the premierleague.

But this typical United fan stuff, leave that out please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

He's 19, and at the time they played United, he had something like 19 goals in 20 games for Lyon. To be honest that's fairly impressive and I think better than what Rooney did at that age. Though you could put that down to the French League being poorer than the Premier League. I don't know how true that argument might be though.

To be honest I think United shouldn't have bought Tevez last year. But with Saha injured he was badly needed. As good a player as he is and as well as the season has gone I think him and Rooney are too similar. And the fact we have, an albeit injury-prone, Saha made me think signing any 'must buy' players this year and in the next few years almost impossible because having 3 top top class strikers in a team is always going to be difficult with regard keeping them all happy and in form. A point not helped with us now getting Manucho etc
    Personally what I'd like for United is if we hadn't bought Tevez and bought Berbatov or Benzema this summer. Berbatov would give us another dimension in both the league and Champion's League which I think would have paid dividends when the usual tactics weren't paying off. Now with Benzema emerging I have to say I'd pay good money to watch him, Rooney and Ronaldo tearing it up! :)

What the United fans are trying to say Eamo is that small slubs like Spurs should know their place and when a big club like Yanited come in for one of our players we should doff our caps and take the mirrors and shiny beads on offer.

What a crock of sh1t.

That's not what I'm saying at all.
    Would United accept less than their own valuation for Vidic?

Of course they wouldn't, I'm not saying that they should. I'm saying the valuation is stupid, and has no bearing to his real value. Hence, unreasonable.

Van Nist went for 12 million, at the age of 29, and he was a much better player than Berbatov. Those two years are worth 18 million now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement