Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sticky Pad Left Behind On Dash

Options
  • 25-02-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I removed an old sensor which was stuck to my Dash. It was put there by the previous owner when they had their old Alarm system.

Question is, is there any product that can soften the left over sticky stuff so i can remove it? Or what is the best thing to do in order to remove it?

Warm water? I want to stay away from an metal objects as they will most likely scratch and damage the dash.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Liquid lighter fluid (the type for Zippo lighters, not an aerosol) contains a particular solvent, Naphthalene, which makes it brilliant for removing glue residues.

Wet a cotton rag wrapped over your finger with the fluid, and wipe the goo from the outside of the stain to the middle, to avoid spreading it. Change the part of the rag that you're using often or you're just putting the glue back onto the dash.

If the goo is hard with age, rest the wet cloth on it for some seconds to soften it.

Test some on a hidden part of the dash first, in case it is sensitive to the fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've never tried lighter fluid, but if you find it is too severe or if it doesn't work, try 3-in-1 oil or even cooking oil. Rub it in well, leave it for a while and then rub again with a cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

+1 for Zippo

...and needless to say no smoking or flames and leave your windows open for a while

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Nail varnish remover works for taking sticky marks of windows, may also work on dash plastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

HJL wrote: »
    Nail varnish remover works for taking sticky marks of windows, may also work on dash plastic too.

The Acetone in nail varnish damages many surfaces, especially plastics, so test really carefully if you want to try it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Baby oil FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

You can buy label adhesive remover from a good paint shop or cleaning shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

"Sticky Stuff Remover"... from your local Homebase

It does exactly what is says on the tin...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Oilrig wrote: »
    "Sticky Stuff Remover"... from your local Homebase

It does exactly what is says on the tin...

Heard of this stuff tonight from a mate. Will drop down to Atlantic Homecare and get me a tin :).

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

WD-40 is good for this. Or even Sellotape will work - get a strip, push it against the stuff with your thumb, and pull straight off. Repeat til done.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

esel wrote: »
    WD-40

+1&1/2. Fantastic for gummy gunge crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I got "Sticker Remover" in Atlantic Homecare which is a bottle of fluid.

I dabbed a little onto a cloth and rubbed it onto the spots where the glue was, left it for 30 seconds and then used a rough sponge and it came off in two wipes.

Job done. Thanks for your input.

Advertisement