Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hints and Tips for 8 track recording.

Options
  • 25-02-2008 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey guys, I recorded a song on my 8 track around 2 weeks ago and am looking for some hints and tips. I'm pretty proud of the guitar sound I got considering I didn't even use an amp. I recorded 2 guitars and just panned them right and left. Don't comment on the drums as I had no part in recording them. The cymbals sound like water! Ha! I'm clueless when it comes to recording vocals. The levels kept on jumping all over the place. I'll be recording properly soon and anything that may seem trivial to you may help me a lot. Any advice?

www.myspace.com/shortnoticeirl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 coccla

Good job on the guitars, they sound really warm. I think that the guitars should be in stereo; get 2 tracks of 1 guitar part and pan them evenly till you hear added width to the sound, it seems like all the guitars are coming down the middle, which should never be the case. With your vocals; the general level is good for the lead, maybe a bit lower would be better but that is up to you. Compress the vocals; this will stop the levels jumping around and bring up the quieter parts. Find out how to use compression, I would find it difficult to explain general compression directions without going into a lot of detail and being there with a compressor to show you. A good compressor is expensive though. Try to talk to someone who knows how to mix well, the benefits are worth while.
    Happy Tracking!

Advertisement