Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower tray repair

• 25-02-2008 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

I have a shower tray that has a crack in it I need to repair. I don't want to go to the work of replacing the whole thing just yet. The base seems to be made of some type of foam and this is less solid around the crack than it is on the rest of the tray. Can i just dry the crack out, fill with expanding foam and use a fiberglass kit to repair? Any ideas? Maybe an epoxy resin?
    showerja8.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Plastic shower tray? you will never be able to fix it properly.
    Ceramic tray is your only man!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭secman

Some crack ! looks more kile an opening !!

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I was peeling the crack back a bit to see what the base was made of. The piece looks bigger in the photo. Was just looking for a quick fix for a few reasons. The tray is an odd shape and will be hard to get one the right size, two rows of tiles have to be removed as well as the shower door, wash basin and pedastil.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Like I said nigh on impossible to fix and to be sure that it would be water tight. If it is an upstairs shower you may want to weigh up the options of either all the work to replace the tray, or if it leaks after you "repair" it then the added expense of replacing the downstairs ceiling.

It's been cracked like that for a while but it isn't leaking through to the floor yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

if its fibre glass then a fibre glass kit might do the job, its basically a fabric that you soak a solution in then apply in layers. messy job but might do as a temp job. you might have to sand the area first to score it to get a good adhesion.

Got a fibre glass kit but was afraid that it might crack when the joint is when it flexes. Gonna try some classi seal, expanding foam and araldyte and I'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Bite the bullet and get a new one.
    if it leaks it will cause a lot more agro,
    would probably take same amount of time to fit new one as repair it with fiberglass.
    have you cut your feet on it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

mildews wrote: »
    Plastic shower tray? you will never be able to fix it properly.
    Ceramic tray is your only man!!!!!

Do it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 corrydorigan

Hi, I am a DIY Expert, sadly for you from the foto, you need to replase the whole base. If you want to go on using it, get yourself a wooden bathmat and stand on that in the shower. It will spread the weight better giving the shower base a longer life. When the base does collapse at least your ankles wont be shredded.
    Think new.
    Regards, corrydorigan@gmail.com

• Advertisement

A couple of plumbers said to just rerpair it for now. I have expanding foam in it at the moment and I'm going to finish the fix job tonight

The fix job I did worked out pretty well, expanding foam filled the sagging part and then I just trimmed that, put in the araldite and replaced the broken piece. Came out really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

I am renting a house to tenants. They called me to tell me the shower is leaking. I sent someone over to look at it and it turns out the shower tray in the bathroom upstairs in cracked. It is cracked around the drain as far as I know. The shower tray is only 2 years old and I was wondering is it possible to repair the tray, as I have got a price to replace it and it is 500euro. Apparently, in order to replace it, 2 rows of tiles need to be taken off in order to remove the old tray and out in a new one. This just seems messy as it is going to be an issue to get the same tile again to match the original ones. However, if it has to be done, I will have it done. I was just wondering if it could be repaired, as it could me less messy and cheaper too??

If this is not an option, does anyone know if 500euro is a good price to replace the tray? This includes the tiling etc. Its a complete price?

Many Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 adam.e

This is actually a very high price,personally i normally charge between 200 and 300 for such a job.There is a product that can be bought that might fix the problem,i think its possible to buy it in heatmerchants the plumbing suppliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

500 is not a high price for the job but advertising like you do should get you the job. A crack repair around the waste is very dodgy as its not reliable. Just like a repair around the waste of a bath.

Insurence will cover on the excess off what every the posters policy is.

I would suggest you get a couple of prices

Advertisement