Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favorite album of all time?

Options
  • 25-02-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Having read the "who are your heroes" thread, i figured i should start a thread about your favorite albums of all time, the kind of album that never gets old no matter how many times you've listened to it.

For me it has to be somewhere between Christy Moore live at the point 2006 and Stevie Ray Vaughan's In Step album.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Impossible to choose but probably Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen. I know I know, there are arguably better albums from the Boss but (even though it was 'before my time') I grew up on this record and I didn't get the rest of his albums until later on.

It's my favourite album of all time because I never get sick of it. Every time I listen to it the lyrics just get me. I love the way he tells a story..it makes it so much more personal. When I listen to Born to Run certain memories come to me, but if someone different listened to Born to Run it would have a totally different impact on them. Surprisingly, I find that the Killers (to a lesser extent of course) make me feel...weird..when I listen to their music. You'll think I'm crazy but it's a good feeling and it only really comes from those two artists - and mostly from Springsteen.

Either that album or Queen's A Night At The Opera/Queen 2/Made In Heaven

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

the las vegas story by the gun club. with about another 50 albums jostling for second position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't have just one favourite album but if I had to give an answer, I would say The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come. Or Bjork - Homogenic. Sorry, I just can't limit it to one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Loaded - Velvet Underground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't have just one favourite album but if I had to give an answer, I would say The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come. Or Bjork - Homogenic. Sorry, I just can't limit it to one!

Class, I think that's my fav Smiths album too but for my choice of all time favourite album I'm going to be slightly unimaginative and pick The Joshua Tree, I never tire of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I'd have a top tier of Greatest albums, not just one in particular, a pool of albums I never tire of. These would include:

The Band - the Last Waltz
    Beatles - Let it Be
    Beatles - Revolver
    Beatles - White album
    Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon
    Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
    Michael Jackson - Off the Wall (Quincy Jones at his best!)
    Led Zeppelin - 2
    Led Zeppelin - 4
    Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
    Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
    David Bowie - Hunky Dory

Theres a few more, but depending on my mood, any of these could be my favourite at any particular time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

My favourite 5 albums normally include these ones. There are others but i think these 5 are the ones that i keep going back to.

REM - Monster
    Wilco - A Ghost is Born
    Dexys Midnight Runners - Too-Rye-Ay
    Elliott Smith - Figure 8
    The Wrens - The Meadowlands

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

JimiTime wrote: »
    I'd have a top tier of Greatest albums, not just one in particular, a pool of albums I never tire of. These would include:

The Band - the Last Waltz
    Beatles - Let it Be
    Beatles - Revolver
    Beatles - White album
    Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon
    Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
    Michael Jackson - Off the Wall (Quincy Jones at his best!)
    Led Zeppelin - 2
    Led Zeppelin - 4
    Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
    Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
    David Bowie - Hunky Dory

Theres a few more, but depending on my mood, any of these could be my favourite at any particular time.

Nice collection right there, well most of them anyway;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

So hard ,so very hard ,so many wonderful albums out there but i am going with Pet Sounds -the beach boys ...correction Brian Wilsons masterpiece from 1966 ,so ahead of it's time .

Could also have picked any of the Beatles albums .So many gems on each and every one .

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

my fav is astral weeks from van morrison i never get tired of
    listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

While I have lots of favourites, one that immediatly springs to mind is : "Court and Spark" - Joni Mitchell. Another would be "Tapestry" by Carol King.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Right now it's probably between the Pixies' Doolittle or Weezers debut although it changes a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Rigsby wrote: »
    While I have lots of favourites, one that immediatly springs to mind is : "Court and Spark" - Joni Mitchell. Another would be "Tapestry" by Carol King.

Forgot about 'tapestry'. Absolute classic that goes relatively un-noticed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

JimiTime wrote: »
    Forgot about 'tapestry'. Absolute classic that goes relatively un-noticed.

Great album. Amazing to think how old it is and just how young she was when she penned some of the songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Of all time- Wish you were here- Masterfull

Right now:

Crosby Stills Nash and Young - Déjà Vu. Why did I not listen to this before?

Frank Zappa - Apostrophe. Go Na Nook.

Alanstrainor, you are in my book of Dudes. SRV, In Step, say no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Hard to say but if I had to choose one it would be Nightwish "Century Child".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nightwish wrote: »
    Hard to say but if I had to choose one it would be Nightwish "Century Child".
    Well it'd have to be a Nightwish album anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Well it'd have to be a Nightwish album anyway :)

Yeah but which one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Very difficult question to answer, I think it really depends on what mood you're in at the time.

So when I am..........

Happy - Any cheesy 80's compilation :D

Sad - Dirt by Alice in Chains (helps me wallow in my misery)

Angry - Vulger Display of Power or Far Beyond Driven by Pantera

Getting cuddly with the Mrs. - Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? or No Need to Argue by The Cranberries

Reminiscing about school days an old friends - Absolutely & 7 by Madness (or any other Ska / 2tone stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

If I had to choose just ONE:

B000003TAP.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

If I use the criteria of never get tired of listening to an album, including any of its tracks, as my yardstick, my greatest albums would be as follows:(more than ten years old - too soon to say, otherwise, I believe):

Electronic - Electronic

Violator - Depeche Mode

Songs of Faith and Devotion - Depeche Mode

Infected - The The

Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd

A Walk Across The Rooftops - The Blue Nile... actually that might just be #1 for me.

Pleas note: Using this criteria, I am leaving out loads of albums I love, but that I am not always in the mood to listen to, or have some tracks that I don't actually like, so the above ones mentioned does not encompass everything I listen to by a long shot. It just shows how difficult a task this really is for those of us who like a lot of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Suede - Sci-Fi Lullabies

2674794-1040803044.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Declan A Walsh:
    Ooh nice! You seem like me!
    Electronic - Electronic
    Adored it at the time. Now I think some of the stuff on it is a bit dated, but there are some utterly superb numbers - e.g. Idiot Country, Get The Message (what a song - I read Johnny Marr saying it was the piece of work he was most proud of, and that's saying something) and Soviet.
    Violator - Depeche Mode
    Sublime.
    Songs of Faith and Devotion - Depeche Mode
    Yep, some great songs.
    Infected - The The
    Oh yeah! I like you a lot!
    Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd

A Walk Across The Rooftops - The Blue Nile... actually that might just be #1 for me.
    Have to admit I only have a best-of by Floyd - some songs I think are amazing, some a bit pretentious. And I've nothing at all by the Blue Nile. But anything I've heard by them is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells II
    David Bowie-Scary Monsters (if only for Crystal Japan :))

Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells II

rolf, I thought I was the only person in the world who thought that was cool;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have the cassette. *rewinds tape with pencil* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Born to Run
    or
    The Las - The Las

• Advertisement

I have the cassette

You nearly stopped me feeling old (er):cool:

Advertisement