Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favorite album of all time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

leincar wrote: »
    1. Radiohead - The Bends(High And Dry, Fake Plastic Trees)

The Bends is an amazing album but in my opinion is probably Radiohead's 2nd worst album. 6 out of 7 would be in my top 20 albums ever though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ruu wrote: »
    Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells II

Excellent choice.

Here's a version of Weightless (one of my favourites from the album) which has all the essential elements of the final version but is still quite different.

Gonna plump for Stone Temple Pilots - Purple myself. The lyrics, man, the lyrics; the kind where you think "I thought I was the only one who thought that way" and at the same time incredibly original, evocative and imaginative. The band were really at their best on this album; they just really connect with each other and the whole thing flows from beginning to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

All the talk of tubular bells made me take out the cd i got years ago and give it a listen, it really is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The Beatles - Abbey Road. It's the sh*t

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

beatles = the white album
    sex pistols = never mind the ********
    fleetwood mac = rumours , i know that is seriously uncool but i like lots of music and it is a democrocy we live in
    rolling stones = exile on main street
    led zeplin = anything as there my favourite band of all time , there getting uncool too nowadays but i just rememberd this isnt the used to be cool thread
    smiths = the queen is dead
    micheal jackson = off the wall
    stone roses = the stone roses
    u2= achtung baby
    the beach boys = pet sounds

amy winehouse = back to black
    bit of a mixed bag i know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

R.E.M. - Out Of Time
    Defo the best REM album in my opinion.
    Zaph wrote: »
    Zaph is amazed to find himself in agreement with Pighead.
    Star by Belly is a good album but nothing near as brilliant as the stuff Tanya Donnelly did with Throwing Muses and The Breeders. Speaking of which: Throwing Muses - The Real Ramona. One of the best albums EVAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

god - lemme figure out the ten and then i'll put a gun to my head and nominate one...

Stones - Exile on Main St...it doesn't have 'gimme shelter' but it has more good tunes, being a double album than Let it Bleed
    Lightning Seeds - Jollification. It's shiny happy simple indie pop. And it's got a strawberry on the cover. What's not to like!
    Pet Shop Boys - Behaviour. Fancy playing a game of scrabble in front of an open fire with a laydee; this might be an ideal soundtrack.
    Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels. It's worth the price of entry alone for 'Tell me when my light turns green'
    The Clash - London Calling. And to think that Train in Vain was a hidden bloody track. Oh the wags...weren't they funny
    The Beatles - Abbey Road. They could hardly speak to each other at the time they recorded this, but it didn't matter. They could still play, and just listen to that chord at 2:48 into 'You never give me your money'; you know, i don't know what sunrise sounds like, but i'll wager it's close to *that*
    David Bowie - Aladdin Sane. This was a close one; Ziggy is good too, but this one slightly edges it. Oh - and while i'm here, i'm going to make a confession. Hunky Dory? Don't get it. Apart from Changes and Life on Mars, i can take it or leave it!
    R.E.M. - Out of Time. I still get the goosebumps in a good way everytime i hear 'Half a world away'. And the rest of it is good too. It doesn't *seem* as overplayed as Automatic either. They sounded like they really were having fun at times on this!
    Crowded House - Together Alone. Classic songwriting? Check. Neil Finn at the top of his game? Check. Horn Section and maori choir on closing track? Check. Honestly, why aren't more albums like this!
    Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix. Any album with a song called 'Neil Jung' deserves some class of accolade. Especially as it probably didn't sell f*ck all

Just had a look thru my list and jesus - it's awful mainstream. I'm itching to put in a few oddball albums but they just wouldn't honestly make my top ten. They'd bubble under. These are the ones i keep coming back to, rightly or wrongly!

And, yeah, if you chucked me onto the desert Island with only one, i think i'd have to plump for Exile...if only cos you get such value for money out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

. Oh - and while i'm here, i'm going to make a confession. Hunky Dory? Don't get it. Apart from Changes and Life on Mars, i can take it or leave it!

:eek::eek: 'Quicksand' is one of my fav songs ever!

JimiTime wrote: »
    :eek::eek: 'Quicksand' is one of my fav songs ever!

yeah - it's okay. And the chorus of Oh You Pretty Things is great, and Kooks is pleasant...

like i say...it just doesn't do it for me as a package. I find myself getting restless with it...I can't relax listening to it like i can with AS...

Hey - Potato/Potahto...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Hey - Potato/Potahto...

Indeed, its what makes music great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dudess wrote: »
    Star by Belly is a good album but nothing near as brilliant as the stuff Tanya Donnelly did with Throwing Muses and The Breeders. Speaking of which: Throwing Muses - The Real Ramona. One of the best albums EVAR!
    Nah give me Star over Donnelly Breeders or Donnelly Throwing Muses anyday. A classic album from start to finish. And tunes that stick in your head forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Happy Mondays "Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches", many polls regard it as one of the best albums of all time... It's just class, "Step On", "Kinky Afro", "Loose Fit", "Gods Cop" & "Bob's Yer Uncle" coming from the same album is just magnificent! Unbelievable infact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

WORST ALBUM: Queen - Hot Space(Queen doing funk. Oh dear)

Ah here now, whatever about worst Queen album, but it's hardly the worst album of all time?! It was the 80s. We can forgive them if it's the 80s. And there's some great tracks on that album; Staying Power, Action this Day etc. sound good LIVE (not with the sh1tty drum machines they used recording). And not to mention the fantastic Under Pressure. I also like Cool Cat and thats typical Freddie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Ah here now, whatever about worst Queen album, but it's hardly the worst album of all time?! It was the 80s. We can forgive them if it's the 80s. And there's some great tracks on that album; Staying Power, Action this Day etc. sound good LIVE (not with the sh1tty drum machines they used recording). And not to mention the fantastic Under Pressure. I also like Cool Cat and thats typical Freddie :D

On mature reflection and as a huge Queen fan I decided to re-visit my collection and sure enough I found worse. The worst of These would have to be The Thrills - Teenager.

Some relative with a major dislike of me gave it to me..

At Least Lord Frederick of Mercury's reputation is restored. No slight was intended.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Gonna plump for Stone Temple Pilots - Purple myself. The lyrics, man, the lyrics; the kind where you think "I thought I was the only one who thought that way" and at the same time incredibly original, evocative and imaginative. The band were really at their best on this album; they just really connect with each other and the whole thing flows from beginning to end.

Good choice.

Anyway If I had to choose one: Pearl Jam - Yield
    It's just perfect really. It contains a diverse range of sounds, styles and beautifully written lyrics into a memorable cohesive package.
    I know a lot of people don't rate this anywhere near as highly as the previous four albums, but everything about Yield just works for me, it just clicks. There's a song on there for every mood and occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Any Westlife album :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

R.E.M.-Automatic for the People
    Bruce Springsteen-Born to Run/Nebraska
    Prince-Sign O The Times
    Radiohead-Ok Computer
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds-The Boatman's Call
    Bob Dylan-Time Out of Mind
    PJ Harvey-Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 homer2001

What a question? I was stumped. I choose Thin Lizzy's debut album Thin Lizzy because it's a work of pure genius a lot of hardcore Lizzy fans, especially those who aren't Irish, don't like it because this an album that is a modern version of Irish music its beautiful and that is why I love it so much.

I chose this album above anything by Whipping Boy/Kerbdog/Therapy? and many others as this is the only album that is constantly in my top 5 and therefore is my No. 1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The Shins - Oh, Inverted World

or

Al Stewart - Past, Present and Future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Rubber Soul
    Let's Bottle Bohemia-The Thrills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Curtis Mayfield: Superfly
    Nick Drake: Pink Moon
    Basil Poledouris: OST to Conan the Barbarian (best OST ever)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

Its a tie between every Beatles album :D
    The Beatles - Abbey Road. They could hardly speak to each other at the time they recorded this, but it didn't matter. They could still play, and just listen to that chord at 2:48 into 'You never give me your money'; you know, i don't know what sunrise sounds like, but i'll wager it's close to *that*
    k. Honestly, why aren't more albums like this!

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Where to even start...(No particular order)

The Beatles - Revolver
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Most of them, cant choose
    U2 - The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby
    Garbage - Garbage
    The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
    Morrissey - Vauxhall and I
    Green Day - American Idiot
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
    Depeche Mode - Violator
    Damien Rice - O
    Bellx1 - Music in mouth
    The Frames - Burn the maps
    The Rolling Stones - Can't choose
    The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
    Placebo - Black Market Music
    New Model Army - Thunder & Consolation
    Whipping Boy - Heartworm
    PJ Harvey - To bring you my love
    The Pixies - Bossanova
    Christ Moore - Ordinary Man
    The Pogues - Rum Sodomy & the Lash

Actually there's too many I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,870 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sweet wrote: »
    Rubber Soul
    Let's Bottle Bohemia-The Thrills

:eek: Seriously?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah I was going to let that one go because of sneaking it in after rubber soul, the safe one, but I have to say... the Thrills?
    Really? Better than say..... The beach boys?
    I just cannot credit it. For me, one thing I notice is that these greatest albums of all time tend to come from when most posters are going through the teen angst / alone in your bedroom with a spliff cos daddy hates you phase.

Do you think that depression ultimately decides most people's favourite albums?
    Also, no mention of Rage Against the Machine, or Waiting for the sun by the Doors. Or The Jam. Or the Kinks, possibly the most ripped off band of them all in recent years.

ah yeah - but the Kinks, in fairness, were an amazing *singles* band; their albums have never really had the same level of affection in the hearts of listeners. I mean, the only one i can think of a name of is the Village Green Preservation society and that's it. All you need with the Kinks is a greatest hits package. Similarly with Madness. Similarly with Squeeze. There is, by the way,*nothing* wrong with being a good singles band; in fact, i wish there were more acts out there today that would bloody well concentrate on dominating radio airplay with clever, arty, slightly offbeat, catchy hummable melodys.

Too many angsty twats with beards and acoustic guitars out there for my liking....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Noir desir - les visage des figueres.
    Eric Satie - trois gymnopedes.
    Frankie goes to hollywood - welcome to the pleasure dome.
    Miles davis - Kind of Blue.
    Kraftwerk - Autobahn.
    Lambchop -Can't remember name of album but it's the one with the line 'sleeps with the fishes,dirty dishes'.
    Gene Autry - Best of..
    The streets - 1st album.
    Sade - Diamond life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Right now:

Station to Station by Bowie. I've been playing it to death lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

the killers - hot fuss
    green day - american idiot
    paddy casey - livin'

these albums practically swung me into the music i like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I couldn't pick just one:

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
    Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
    Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare
    Joy Division - Substance
    NWA - Straight Outta Compton
    Weather Report - Heavy Weather
    Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All/Sheik Yerbouti
    Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour