Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favorite album of all time?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Oasis - Heathen Chemistry

Now I don't think its the best album of all time (although I do think it's one of the most underated albums of all time), but it's definatly my favourite, mainly on a personal level for what was going on in my life when it came out, regardless of how disturbingly messed up things were, and the connection the songs have to those times. I don't think I will ever hear Force Of Nature and not instantly be put into one of those "ahh man, everythings seriously fukked up, but I don't care, because everything is going to work out just perfect in the end, because I'm deadly and life is fukking brilliant" moods.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FunkyBarSteward

"Pearl Jam" TEN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

It's weird, I feel like I should be one of those people with such a love for music and expansive taste that I'd be listing 5/10 albums like most people. However, I just can't get past the utter brilliance of this album. It's raw, but intricately constructed. It's not overtly experimental, yet is awash with layer upon layer of fantastically unique sounds and textures. It doesn't try to be smart, it's not pretentious, yet it sounds so effortlessly intellectual and insightful. The dissonance and guitar noise might sound a bit bleak at first, but after a few listens you begin to appreciate just how genuinely beautiful what you're hearing is. Totally unmanufactured, compromised by nothing, it feels so real, so modern... Sheer brilliance....

Oh, and glad to see Happy Mondays being mentioned, been listening to PTaB a lot these days due to the good weather :) . Fantastic album.

I'm always shunned when I say this but nothing is more likely to destroy my head like Sonic Youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Really? I find that strange since you seemed to be someone who'd be open to that kinda stuff, considering you claimed to be much more a fan of Radiohead's more experimental stuff in the best Radiohead album thread.

I suggest trying to listen to all of Daydream Nation without any preconceptions that "it's just noise" or whatever. It's admittedly an acquired taste, but once you get over the barrier of unfamiliarity, it's truely wonderful.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Find it impossible too to only have one favourite album so here is some of them at least...

Orbital - Brown Album
    The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come
    The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works
    Deepchord Presents Echospace - The Coldest Season
    Neil Young - On The Beach
    Spiritualized - Laser Guided Melodies
    The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
    The Black Dog - Bytes
    Brian Eno - Apollo
    Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
    Luke Slater's 7th Plain - The 4 Cornered Room
    Primal Scream - Screamadelica
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (although I have recently got sick of this I think finally!)
    Amon Tobin - Supermodified
    B12 - Electro-Soma
    Monolake - Hong Kong

I'll stop for now :pac:

• Advertisement

Really? I find that strange since you seemed to be someone who'd be open to that kinda stuff, considering you claimed to be much more a fan of Radiohead's more experimental stuff in the best Radiohead album thread.

I suggest trying to listen to all of Daydream Nation without any preconceptions that "it's just noise" or whatever. It's admittedly an acquired taste, but once you get over the barrier of unfamiliarity, it's truely wonderful.

Heh, maybe. I mean Radiohead was what led me to listen to Dubstep, IDM and minimal techno but I have to admit that it's possibly the roughness of the production played through my big headphones that probably grates me most. That and it kind of hits me as something heavily influenced by punk which I've given up trying to appreciate, filed with hair metal and reggae >_<

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works

Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children

Amon Tobin - Supermodified

Picked up these 3 last week and I likes a lot too. Someone was telling me that they think Geodaddi is far superior to MHtRtC so I'll have to give that a listen.

There are so many great albums but for me the one album which I never tire of is White Pony by The Deftones. It's just a perfect album with a song for every mood and is I think the album which defines my generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Kold wrote: »
    Heh, maybe. I mean Radiohead was what led me to listen to Dubstep, IDM and minimal techno but I have to admit that it's possibly the roughness of the production played through my big headphones that probably grates me most. That and it kind of hits me as something heavily influenced by punk which I've given up trying to appreciate, filed with hair metal and reggae >_<
    Ah, you should check out the whole post punk scene that started in around '78 when punk died. Punk wasn't particularly innovative or creative, but the underground alternative movements that emerged after it died were astonishingly innovative. A lot of it can be hard to get into, and you will have to deal with rough production in some cases (though that's part of it's charm!), but there really were some fantastic post punk bands at the time. I suppose Sonic Youth (during the DN years) were at the end of all that. They're quite accurately described as a more punky Velvet Underground, but there's a lot of influence from the whole New York No Wave scene which preceeded them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Has to be Rory Gallagher Irish tour 74 ....... or whatever Rory Gallagher CD i happen to be playing at any given time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Has to be Rory Gallagher Irish tour 74 ......

Great great album, i haven't listened to it in a while, but it is one of my favourites.

EDIT:I can't help but notice your post count sinner boy...666....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭jaykay74

This kinda thing changes over time and by mood but for today I would say The Pixies and Dolittle...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Astral Weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek & the Dominos. Just so well put together, been my top for the last few weeks now. It'll change in another few no doubt.

Ah, you should check out the whole post punk scene that started in around '78 when punk died. Punk wasn't particularly innovative or creative, but the underground alternative movements that emerged after it died were astonishingly innovative. A lot of it can be hard to get into, and you will have to deal with rough production in some cases (though that's part of it's charm!), but there really were some fantastic post punk bands at the time. I suppose Sonic Youth (during the DN years) were at the end of all that. They're quite accurately described as a more punky Velvet Underground, but there's a lot of influence from the whole New York No Wave scene which preceeded them.

Give examples and I might give it a sconce shur ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible. Outstanding album they havent come close with anything they've done since which is a shame. The US mix of the album is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Weezer- Pinkerton. Certainly not perfect, but no album sounds as good to my ears!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Forever Changes by Love. Perfection!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Its a close tie between St. Anger and Hot Space by Queen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think people are cheating when they say Melon Collie and The Infinite Sadness. I mean, we're talking about your favourite album of all time. Melon Collie is approximately 4,547 hours of music. That's like wishing for more wishes.

For me, it's Arcade Fire's Funeral. No doubt, no hesitation, that's it. I like a lot of bands, and my MP3 playlist looks like a fight in a music shop, but that for me is absolutely the best album I've ever heard. Every song on it is perfect. The start of Tunnels still makes me giddy, because it means the whole album is on the way, and the bit between Haiti and Rebellion made me finally understand John Cusack in High Fidelity.

In fact, if my house was buring down, I'd probably save that album first, and then my money and relatives second. Sure, I can always buy another copy, but... that would mean one less copy of Funeral in the world.

And I couldn't live with that.

That or maybe Radiohead's Hail To The Thief anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Cant pick 1 but top 5 are probably:

Grace - Jeff Buckley
    Graceland - Paul Simon
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Oh Mercy - Bob Dylan
    Origin of Symmetry - Muse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Rubber Soul & revolver - The beatles
    Automatic for the people - REM
    Damien Rice - O
    Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    Made in dublin - Aslan
    The Hits - Garth Brooks (I bought this for my dad(my first cd) as a thank you for buying me a HI-Fi and liked so much kept it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭rebeldiamond

I have quite a few but these in particular are my ultimate favourites;

1. Mellon Collie & The Infinate Sadness- The Smashing Pumpkins
    2. Automatic for The People- REM
    3. Sams Town- The Killers
    4. Closer- Joy Division
    5. Leisure- Blur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Very hard to bring it down to only 5 but here goes...
    1 Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
    2 U2 - The Joshua Tree
    3 Neil Young - Zuma
    4 David Kitt - Small Moments
    5 Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Weezer- Pinkerton. Certainly not perfect, but no album sounds as good to my ears!

I love Pinkerton too. Everyone goes on about how it's Weezer's worst album and how much they hate it but everytime I hear it fall in love with it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Everyone goes on about how it's Weezer's worst album.

Anyone who calls Pinkerton Weezer's worst album is clearly insane

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JauntyChick31

Hi! I'm a newbie, only just joined, so yes there ;D

The Killers - Hot Fuss, the album that first propelled me into the gigantic world of music. There is not ONE bad song on that entire album, I love it!

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead, and I have to say the same about this album...except for maybe 'Never Had No One Ever'...tis only middlin'.

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree, Patrick Stump - vocal genius. Enough said. The vocals just blow me away. And the guitar-riff thing going on in 'Seven Minutes In Heaven (Atavan Halen) rocks!

Many more, but I have to go...bye!

Mary-Lou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Starryeyd

Ohhhh, how do people do this?????!!!!! I think its mood dependant:

:cool: Shut out the world (well the office!) - Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of the moon (breathe!)

:D Happy - Bob Dylan - Subterranian Homesick Blues (good singalong)

:o Nostalgic - Fletwood mac - Rumours ( thanks mum!)

:mad: Angry - Tool - Undertow

;) Sleepy - Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

:( Need to cry like a 16year old - Jeff Buckley - Grace

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Ah jasus its hard to pick even a top few. Here goes anywho

Ok Computer/Kid A/ The Bends - Radiohead Cant choose one so i'm gonna cheat! 3 completely different yet undeniably brilliant albums.

Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd I loose track of time when i listen to it, its like one epic, amazing song because all the songs blend together so perfectly.

Turn On The Bright Lights - Interpol Wow:D

Odelay - Beck It always makes me feel really happy because of how good it is and how many different styles are in it.

Dummy - Portishead Every song grabs me especially Roads, Strangers and Glory Box. New album could be even better with more time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 askmysack

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Advertisement