Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month rule

Options
  • 25-02-2008 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

Is the 3 month rule in force yet ,where your super has to issue your cert or give reason for not issueing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

i was waiting 8 months for my shotgun cert, 8months for my .22 and over 9months for my 6.5x55, its a load of crap, the guards need a boot up in the hole.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

i was waiting 8 months for my shotgun cert, 8months for my .22 and over 9months for my 6.5x55, its a load of crap, the guards need a boot up in the hole.....

im laughing my head off:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

8 monhs for a shotgun, ouch
    never heard of one that long for a shotgun

ha ha its some bull isnt it, and my mate has applied for a semi auto shotgun lately and the guards told him he mightnt get it as its more of a weapon than a firearm, dozy shower of f.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 breatta

Same as tiny-nioclas applied for semi auto shotgun 5months ago still watin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

firearms act 2006 section 3(9)
    (9) A decision on an application for a firearm certificate or its renewal shall be given within 3 months from the date on which the applicant submitted a completed application form.

its so sad, the guards in this country want our guns taken off us if you ask me,ive never met or heard of such an intolerant organisation in my life.. they just dont have a clue about firearms,hunting,country life or anything, when they clearly should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

its so sad, the guards in this country want our guns taken off us if you ask me,ive never met or heard of such an intolerant organisation in my life.. they just dont have a clue about firearms,hunting,country life or anything, when they clearly should.

I wouldnt paint them all with that brush ,agreed they need some training when it comes to firearms some havent a clue they are confusing illegal gun crime with legally held sporting firearms which are strictly controlled

i know shooters and hunters from all over this country and none of them have a good word to say about the guards, no wonder nobody has confidence in them! i just hope they get their act together sooner than later because they are a laughable bunch. rant over... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

are we talking about the same organisation that produced a wonderful son of erin that once asked me at the side of the road after pulling me in "are you the driver of this vehicle"??????? the same organisation that produced a grand lad that once....... aaaaagh!!!!!! now ya shouldnt have got me started!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i mean....... get a real job!!!!! aaaaaghh!

ha ha, when i applied for the 6.5x55 the local guard told me under new laws that i could only get a .243 as they were the most popular caliber,and i was wasting my time to get any different, another time the branch pulled me over coming back from a stalk with two fallow in the back, checked my licences,made me open up the carcasses to show i wasnt hiding anything inside the deer, rang the hq done a check up on me and my licences and just delayed me more, i was around half an hour on the side of the road with these fools, and then they asked me did i know how to use my guns properly and dont be messing with them, then they tore off. i reported this crap the next day in the station. totally unprovoked like, muppets, they'd be the last people id go to if i was in trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

they must want you for something, take my advise and follow the 11th commandment' Thou shall not get caught.
    but go easy on the reporting thing, the boys will just wanna get you more annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

they're very sweeping statements your making.Yes I agree that there are annoying inconsistencies with various gardai around the country, but the gardai have a very difficult job to do and firearms licensing is only a small part, Like any orgainisation the employees require training. What is required is a dedicated FO like there is in the UK. I suggest if you are having trouble go chat to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Instead of everyone having a moan about it weather entitled to or not should it not be brought to the attention of someone i mean to me its a little worrying that some places will just hand out licenses to anyone sure its only an ol shotgun and other places wont give a dedicated sportsman a chance.

Now the nutters are always going to be able to get hold of a weapon if they really want to and id be more concerned about the man who has to go through the courts just to obtain a rifle license. But surely they're should be something said so that there is some training and eductaion giving to the guards.

It would hardly be put up with anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Can't say a bad word about our local sergeant and the super he's reporting to a bit down the road. Maybe it helps that he's been on armed duties in the past and that he knows what he's talking about. Super is a shooting man I've been told. Longest I've been waiting is 3 months for an additional shotgun and that was my own fault for not filling in complete paperwork. Once that was done it was matter of a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ivan, there are charter rules about encouraging illegal activity in here. There are also statute laws about that kind of thing. Both insist you don't do it.

As to the 3 month rule, yes, that part of the Act was commenced on August 1, 2006 (SI 390 of 2006) - see the start of the Firearms Acts sticky.

in fairness ivan if they wanted me for something suspect i wouldnt have any firearms would i?? ive a clean record,clean driving licence, its just the guards are too bust harassing, nothing sweeping about the statements, after all all im saying is the truth, funny that after a year of car robberies(including my own) around here they havent caught or questioned anyone, maybe if they got some sence they'd target criminals rather than law abiding shooting folk, "I suggest if you are having trouble go chat to them" ben there done that, might as well be talking to the wall,their ignorance of guns gets them too arrogant to realise they havent a clue, they should get more training, we deserve it, everyone with firearms has the utmost respect for the countryside and the law. except ivan haha! just kidding....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

i know shooters and hunters from all over this country and none of them have a good word to say about the guards, no wonder nobody has confidence in them! i just hope they get their act together sooner than later because they are a laughable bunch.

Dont wanna be stepping on anyone's toes here who are regulars since I dont post very often, but I found my local sergent very nice to deal with when it came my .22 licence, kept me informed of how things were coming along and I had the licence within 3-4weeks.Wouldn't like to brand em all.

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

My local FO is very helpful, and considering she got the job in July when the pervious officer was transferred she seems very capable. Much of the holdup seems to come from 'the park"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

As far as I know, once it goes to the Phoenix Park, it's sped along and is back quickly, it being a formality at this point. Perhaps it's the catch-all excuse for slow licensing?

whoah 3-4 weeks your very lucky! wish our few would wise up like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

hi all. the garda were i live in co mayo are great no joke.
    i find that if you ring the station and ask to make a meeting with the f.o.
    1 he will call you.

2 he will ask you why

3 this is the ans i got off the fo come on in at 5pm i did i was ask about
    why did i want a .308 rifle for target shooting. i was fffff mad why
    i put in for a .22rinfire long rifle then he said f-uck it i made a balls
    of it i say it is ok he said sorry so i know the garda are under staff
    and are very fair to me in mayo. say what you like a garda job is a very hard job to do

from steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

thehair wrote: »
    i want a .308 rifle for target shooting.

Where did you propose to use a 308 for target shooting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Why? is there any range in the state that can cope with this calibre?

Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

ah ah .no bunny shooter the garda f-ucked up the cert.

on the cert all i did was sig my name and addrest
    he filled out the rest of the cert and put in somebody else rifle info
    into it . there was about 10 firearm cert he had to do
    he got them mixted up mine and somebody else
    again he is a good guard he will fix it very soon:D

Why? is there any range in the state that can cope with this calibre?

Ian

Midlands, near Tullamore

thehair wrote: »
    ah ah .no bunny shooter the garda f-ucked up the cert.

on the cert all i did was sig my name and addrest
    he filled out the rest of the cert and put in somebody else rifle info
    into it . there was about 10 firearm cert he had to do
    he got them mixted up mine and somebody else
    again he is a good guard he will fix it very soon:D

And some people have had trouble getting a 308 licence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I had a recent visit from my local CPO and was totally surprised.
    I was expecting the worst but he turned out to be a very down to earth and
    easy to talk to bloke unfortunaltly he was powerless to speed up the licenceing
    process all he could do was give my super his thumbs up.
    (Bought a shotgun in Dec 07 and still waiting on the licence :mad: )

~B

• Advertisement

Bullets,

Why the visit from CPO, what application/s have you submitted ?

Advertisement