Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a license for a mobile home?

• 25-02-2008 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I have been refused planning by an Bord Pleanala for a site which currently has a cottage and mobile home on it. I am now considering doing up the cottage, extending it and replacing the mobile home with a new one. The problem is neither of these dwellings have been lived in for a number of years and are in my opinion derelict. Will I run into problems because of this? I will most likely have to apply for planning permission for the cottage as the extension will exceed the size limits allowed for planning exemption. I'm worried that the planning authorities will produce some kind of new law to prevent me from living here. If anyone has any experience of this I'd love to hear how you got on.

Can I just replace the mobile home with a new one or do I need to obtain a license or something? I will need to live here while I do up the cottage.

Any information will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Mobile homes require planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dixiechick

But if there's one there already do I need to re-apply for planning permission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dixiechick wrote: »
    But if there's one there already do I need to re-apply for planning permission?
    What did ABP say about the mobile home?

muffler wrote: »
    What did ABP say about the mobile home?
    ABP knocked me on a proposal to construct two houses on the site. My intention was to knock the cottage and mobile home but now it looks like I have no other option but to keep them there and do them up. This is not an ideal situation as the cottage is tucked away in a corner of the site and doesn't get much light. I'm just worried that they'll knock me on this new proposal. Any idea where I stand??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ABP knocked me on a proposal to construct two houses on the site. My intention was to knock the cottage and mobile home but now it looks like I have no other option but to keep them there and do them up. This is not an ideal situation as the cottage is tucked away in a corner of the site and doesn't get much light. I'm just worried that they'll knock me on this new proposal. Any idea where I stand??
    There is a huge gulf between renovating/extending a cottage and looking for PP for 2 houses. I think you need to look at both the planning file and the report of ABP's inspector and see what the various officials stated. Was planning ever granted for the mobile home? if it wasnt you could be ordered to remove it from the site.

I think you need to engage some local professional who is familiar with the area and of course the planners. Perhaps look for a pre planning meeting and discuss your proposals with the planner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

I dont want to delve into legal matters but there is a time limit (7 years I think) in which the council can ask you to remove or demolish an unauthorised development - talk to your solicitor or architect. If there is no pp for the mobile home then you may need to apply for retention which can be expensive.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

apply for permission for whatever you want to do to the cottage, and as part of the same application, apply for an on-site mobile home (if you intend living there whilst the project is on-going)..... you will need to give them a time period for the duration of the build and the LA will probably give you permission for a certain length of time ie 10-12 months etc.

you have to remember that the mobile and the cottage can never exist as separate housing units (assuming inadequate site size and general rural policy), so when the cottage is finished, the moblie would need to be removed from site.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    apply for permission for whatever you want to do to the cottage, and as part of the same application, apply for an on-site mobile home (if you intend living there whilst the project is on-going)..... you will need to give them a time period for the duration of the build and the LA will probably give you permission for a certain length of time ie 10-12 months etc.

you have to remember that the mobile and the cottage can never exist as separate housing units (assuming inadequate site size and general rural policy), so when the cottage is finished, the moblie would need to be removed from site.
    Thanks for your comments. Both the mobile home and the cottage have been there for at least 40 years (if not a lot longer) and both feature on plans for the area. Are they not then both considered to be permanent fixtures? I just need to be sure of these things before I arrange a planning meeting because in my area the planners tend to try pull the wool over your eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Thanks for your comments. Both the mobile home and the cottage have been there for at least 40 years (if not a lot longer) and both feature on plans for the area. Are they not then both considered to be permanent fixtures? I just need to be sure of these things before I arrange a planning meeting because in my area the planners tend to try pull the wool over your eyes.

In relation to wool pulling, in fairness u gave it a fair old tug in ur first post when u omitted to reveal that APB had refused an app for 2 houses on site.

It strikes me that u are perhaps trying to be too clever by half or more here and being so unnecessarily disparaging of planners is not very 'nice'.

Decide what you would like to do, get professional advice and refrain from impure thoughts such as
    I'm worried that the planning authorities will produce some kind of new law to prevent me from living here.

The 'here' suggests u are living on the site.

ircoha wrote: »
    In relation to wool pulling, in fairness u gave it a fair old tug in ur first post when u omitted to reveal that APB had refused an app for 2 houses on site.

It strikes me that u are perhaps trying to be too clever by half or more here and being so unnecessarily disparaging of planners is not very 'nice'.

Decide what you would like to do, get professional advice and refrain from impure thoughts such as

The 'here' suggests u are living on the site.
    My initial question was "Do I need a licence/planning for a mobile home? I am not attempting to be clever OR pull the wool over anyones eyes. Omitting information about my personal situation is not a matter for this forum. I am looking for information from people who may have been in a similar situation to me. My question is........Do I need planning to replace an existing mobile home and where do I stand with regard to doing up a cottage which has not been lived in for a couple of years? As we all know, laws change and I want to be up to speed on them before I organise a planning meeting. I have personally been misled by planning officers in the past and that's not very 'nice'.

So, once again, thank you to those who have posted constructive comments. Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement