Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Car/Driving Instructors car

Options
  • 25-02-2008 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Have my test is in 3 weeks but I'm a bit worried about doing it in my car. For some reason a lot of the paint is gone from my bonnet. It looks pretty bad but apart from that there is nothing wrong with the car. I've been waiting since July for my test and am really worried that the instructor will take one look at the bonnet and say no even though mechanically the car is fine, with full NCT. Should I risk it or do it in my instructors car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ergonomics wrote: »
    a lot of the paint is gone from my bonnet. It looks pretty bad
    It won't matter to the examiner. The asthetics of you car is not within their remit.

ergonomics wrote:
    am really worried that the instructor will take one look at the bonnet and say no even though mechanically the car is fine,
    Presumably you mean the 'examiner'. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As long as the bonnet latches safely and there's no other obvious safety danger you'll be fine. Car I used had a dent at the back and none of the testers ever said anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 offalygirl08

If you are worried about it, do your test in the driving instructors car. I always think this makes a difference when doing a test and it shows you've had lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Aye, definitely doing it in my driver instructor's car now. The pump for my screen wash just crapped out and I probably won't get it fixed before my test so I've booked the other car. My test is Tuesday week and I have a lesson next Thursday, Friday and Saturday as well as two on Tuesday probably so I should be well used to the car by then! Starting to get really nervous though, I hope I calm down soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you are worried about it, do your test in the driving instructors car. I always think this makes a difference when doing a test and it shows you've had lessons.

I'd tend to think the opposite, i would much prefer to drive my own car rather than a testers car, for the simple reason that'll you'll have had much more experience in your own car and you'd be more comfortable in it. I mean most people would probably have about 5 lessons Vs many hours of your own practice. And to say it shows you've had lessons?? I think that'd be a given for 99% of people, and either way, that makes absolutely no difference, All the tester has to go on is your driving for that 20 minutes of the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 offalygirl08

If you can get a lesson teh hour before your test that way you still have it fresh in your head. Well the best of luck with the test ( and the car).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

I ended up having to do the test in my instructors car, i wanted to do it in my own but had a faulty light on the dashboard. I had a lesson just before my test which was great, calmed me down a bit. Was nervous though when i first got out with the examiner, stalled twice but then i thought what the hell & just drove like i normally do & passed! Best of luck with it, sounds like youll have enough lessons in your instructors car to get you used to it so fingers crossed youll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭SeanW

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭massivemagumbos

Hello,

I did my first test in a new bmw and I really think it was a major reason I failed my test, the tester failed me on the most stupid things. So I want to do my car in a discreet small car, can I just rent one off a school of motoring like ISM or RAC and bring it back? i've never had a private lesson (only ones with the major schools) - basically i wanna know how i get a car for the day? (hertz wont rent to under 24's!)

Also, does anybody have any hints or heads up about the deansgrange centre/route, i've only driven through the area but my test is out there, am i better off getting a car locally out there?

thanks for any help anybody can offer!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ring the local driving school,book some pre tests and ask them can you also book a car for the test.

• Advertisement

Don't ignore the "stupid things" you failed over Massivemug.
    Alot of people feel that they fail over something petty, but if they weren't on the list they couldn't mark you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I did my first test in a new bmw and I really think it was a major reason I failed my test
    The reason you were unsuccessful is because you didn't demonstrate that you were competent to drive that new BMW. ;)

The make or age of a vehicle has no bearing whatsoever in determining whether you are a competent driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

valer456, i suggest you read the charter before posting. Further similar posts will earn you a ban on this forum.
    Thanks
    * No disparaging comments about named driving instructors or named Driving Schools.

Advertisement