Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet security for Win 98?

• 26-02-2008 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of a long shot here but is there a comprehensive Internet security suite for
    Windows 98 SE.

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

An upgrade to XP.

Is 98 even supported anymore? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

I'm pretty sure the support for 98 ended last year if not the year before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

I'm pretty sure the support for 98 ended last year if not the year before.

Yeah,looks like it all right,I suppose I could stick something like AVG or something on it,better than nothing...just.

Can't really consider upgrading to XP.pretty old machine and it would barely meet min specs.
    They would only really use it for basic MS Office use and internet maybe once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

a second hand p4 with an xp home oem sticker would cost less then the xp license

you say they rearly use it, but maybe thats because its old and crappy

get them up and running with xp and they might start to show more of an interest

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Iomega Man wrote: »
    Yeah,looks like it all right,I suppose I could stick something like AVG or something on it,better than nothing...just.

Can't really consider upgrading to XP.pretty old machine and it would barely meet min specs.
    They would only really use it for basic MS Office use and internet maybe once a week.

Win200 is what you should use, it's what i'd use. Great OS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To make 98 secure first thing to do is remove IE or do an install with a modified setup.inf file to stop it installing in the first place. 98lite is good. lots of firewalls and AV out there but not all will support it and the OS is like swiss cheese, especially if has vulernabilities in common with recent windows versions, since the exploit will be out there but not the patch

It would have to be behind a NAT box, as there is no program security, any app/applet could probably kill a software firewall.

98 means you are probably running an old machine with a Hard drive near the end of it's life and very low memory, the version of office is probably inferior to OpenOffice unless you have Access but a machine that old won't run msoffice

Linux + WINE at this stage , probably offers as much API support to programs as 98 does but would need a beefier machine to run on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Hi All,

Looks like they're going to buy a new PC,they'd been thinking about it for a while.
    Thanks to everyone for all your comments/help.

Best wishes..IM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

support for windows ME ended last year 98 has been unsupprted for a good long while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

These old machines are good candidates for linux experimentation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bluefrog wrote: »
    These old machines are good candidates for linux experimentation.
    You'd need 256MB to run things like Ubuntu.
    If you've only 64 then puppylinux would be better

• Advertisement
Advertisement