Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers & Bones

Options
  • 26-02-2008 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

My local butcher has recently posted a sign in his window saying there's a €2 charge for bones - is this common as I hadn't come across it before. In the past I've just picked up a couple of bones the odd time when I'm getting some meat. I had thought in my innocence that he'd be happy not to have to dispose of them himself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Go to another butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Now why didn't I think of that but actually that wasn't what I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Jesus.. what a tight arse.

Ive never seen that before.

If ur a regular customer id hope he wouldnt charge you.

Well we were regular customers but now rethinking it. Not wanting to be cynical but this new policy started very shortly after the first time my partner (who's Canadian) went up and asked for bones. Can't help thinking her accent might have made him take a double take - taxi drivers constantly try to take advantage as they think she's not local.

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Well we were regular customers but now rethinking it. Not wanting to be cynical but this new policy started very shortly after the first time my partner (who's Canadian) went up and asked for bones. Can't help thinking her accent might have made him take a double take - taxi drivers constantly try to take advantage as they think she's not local.

Go in and tell him you think its just really not on, and you tell him you're thinking of going elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Well I'm trying to get a sense of whether this is now common practice here - only recently got the dog (she's a rescue from owners that make the butcher look like a saint but that's another story) but have had some in the past and this wasn't an issue. If it isn't common practice maybe a naming and shaming would be less personal - he has big cleavers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

No, I've asked 6 or 7 butchers, in different surrounding areas (south side, city centre) with not a bother.

I am surprised. In fact, I'm only surprised I still get given bones cos I heard about 2 years ago the EU was banning butchers from giving bones for dogs /edit for bones edit/. A friend who lives in co. Wex asked in a butcher and was told, no, because of bse, the EU etc. My friend said "I'm not going to be eating the dog" ffs.

So. In short, no, haven't come across it. Tightfisted b'stard. You're helping him get rid of his offal.

strange

banning butchers from giving dogs for bones

Yes, its poor practice handing out dogs like that in a butchers :p

Its a pity cause he has given us nice cuts for our own consumption - maybe there's been an outbreak of veganism in Glasnevin and times are tough...

I suppose I could go to the graveyard at midnight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I've heard, (Don't know how true this is) that nowadays most of the cuts of the meat are done at the slaughter houses instead of the butchers. Thats why they used to have a lot of bones but now have much less. And the reason bones aren't supposed to be given out is because people (As your butcher has decided!) should pay for them now.
    I remember the days when the local butcher used to give us bags of off cuts of turkey, ham and corned beef for the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

It costs the butcher 50 Euro to get rid of a wheelie bin full of bones. Your fella is incredibly mean, tight fisted and too lazy to saw them up.

My local butcher is delighted with the business, I always buy local and avoid supermarkets... He usually has the bones cut for me before I arrive.

(my dogs love him too)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

A year or two ago, I was staying with a friend and her dog became very ill because she ate a bone. Blood, puke, poo everywhere! Now this dog has the jaws of a bull terrier and would pulverize the whole thing. The vet told us never to give bones to dogs. I do give my own dog the occasional bone but take it off her once the meat is gone and before she starts breaking it.

What do you think? I'm talking about lamb, pork and beef bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

our dog got sick one time too, but it wouldn't stop me getting bones from a butcher. I do it in phases.

I suspect it happened because when the dog got to the bone, I cracked it open and she got at the bone marrow.

I don't break the bones anymore and let her chew her way in to get to the marrow in her own time.

Yeah for my dog it's a rare treat and I wouldn't let her have it for long - once I see it start to disintigrate in any way its taken from her. She does love them though and it's good for her teeth hygine I've heard. Also gives her less reason to chew on anything else - my shoes, the neighbour's kids....

The 'too lazy to saw them up' contribution might have been on the money too cause the last bone he gave for free was basically a pelvis and if you think I'm exaggerating check this out:

2190292576_ce4dc80502.jpg

That dog looks so happy!!:D

You could say she's as happy as a butcher's dog if I had a nicer butcher...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

So I was in my butchers shop today getting a few things, when I asked him if he charged for scrap bones. He told me he didn't, he gave them out free. I asked him if a butcher was to charge say €2 a bag, why would he do it?

He grinned and said "There's abviously a market for them then to make a few bob on the side".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Trojan911 wrote: »
    So I was in my butchers shop today getting a few things, when I asked him if he charged for scrap bones. He told me he didn't, he gave them out free. I asked him if a butcher was to charge say €2 a bag, why would he do it?

He grinned and said "There's abviously a market for them then to make a few bob on the side".

Don't be giving them ideas! That's probably the last free bone you'll get ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I remember when I was younger that my local Superquinn used to have a sign up to say to not to forget to ask for bones for your dog and similarly with cabbage stalks & loose leaves & broccoli stalks for bunny bags for my rabbits!

Did see a thingy in the vets last week in a magazine that bones aren't that healthy for dogs... didn't read it though was trying to stop the dog from peeing everywhere!!

I remember when I was younger that my local Superquinn used to have a sign up to say to not to forget to ask for bones for your dog and similarly with cabbage stalks & loose leaves & broccoli stalks for bunny bags for my rabbits!

Did see a thingy in the vets last week in a magazine that bones aren't that healthy for dogs... didn't read it though was trying to stop the dog from peeing everywhere!!

Superquinn still give out bones.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Well if you were charged for bones you're butcher is a right tight fisted meanie:mad::mad::mad:...

He should be delighted to be able to get rid of them, saves him disposing of them.

Dogs love marrowbones but once the marrow is gone dump the bone as some splinters can break off and could harm the dog internally. (like chicken bones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

smashey wrote: »
    Go to another butcher.

Yup, and buy your own meat supplies from another too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

All the butchers in my surrounding area charge for bones, and have for some time.

Well I do think that since this doesn't seem to be common yet that I should do my part and take a stand. Its only €2 but I feel I am doing him a favour by disposing of his offal. Maybe I'll stick the URL of this thread on an envelope and post it through his door as a gentle hint - then at least he'll be uneasy when he sees a big white galutte of a dog passing by :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    All the butchers in my surrounding area charge for bones, and have for some time.

thats real mean!! When one started charging the others followed anything for profit as if the meat wasn't dear enough....:mad:

I was never charged for bones!

Go for it bluefrog ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Iduno, I never really thought about it being honest. I don't get them for my dogs but my cousin buys one as a treat for his lab and the bigger sized ones are €1.50 and the smaller ones are 50c. I think the way I saw it was you were buying a treat for the dog like, if you don't buy the bones the butcher will just dispose of them anyway. Business is business I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

javaboy wrote: »
    Don't be giving them ideas! That's probably the last free bone you'll get ;)

Nah, I don't own a dog & he said to me after they were still free to whoever wants them. In fairness to him he gives me chicken carcasses for free so I can make stock.

artieanna wrote: »
    as if the meat wasn't dear enough....:mad:
    Meat is cheaper now than its ever been, but thats besides the point. Scabby B*stards charging for bones.
    Theres a place in town called FX Buckleys that used to always give us bones for free. And they were big huge bags too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 siouxie sue

Mean as **** :mad: you wouldn't get a needle up his ass lol At the end of the day he can't take his money with him and he will be bones himself one day!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Can I ask where these scabby butchers are? My not so scabby butcher is in East Wall in Dublin....

Advertisement