Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wattage usage reading before pc

Options
  • 26-02-2008 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Looking to get whatever review sites use to measure the actual power that the PSU is using.

I presume it's like a plug in thing ,or do they use some sort of multi-meter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

_Brian_ wrote: »
    Looking to get whatever review sites use to measure the actual power that the PSU is using.

I presume it's like a plug in thing ,or do they use some sort of multi-meter?

Dont they use a wattmeter that you just put between the
    plug and the power supply of the PC ?

Use one of these myself and as far as i know most web sites
    use something equivilant except with maybe a serial connection
    to record the values to the pc easily.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343&source=1&C=Maplin&U=HomeBasketFillers&T=38343&DOY=15m2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks shiny ,got a reply from home/electrical for the same device.

I ordered one from another site ,€20 postage included:)

Later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

That should work grand, but what the pro's use to measure the performance of psu's is a bit out of the reach of a home user. Some of the kit can cost upto £20,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Anti wrote: »
    but what the pro's use to measure the performance of psu's is a bit out of the reach of a home user. Some of the kit can cost upto £20,000

I've got two :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My PSU has an LED readout, it looks cool but it's so hilariously inaccurate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you wait around Lidl / Aldi will do one for about €10-15

Actually it would be worth working out power costs over a year.

How long would it take for the lower power required by a laptop with 17" display work out better than a desktop + LCD monitor ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I got a device through amazon for about 17 euro all in, I think it was 10.95 plus postage.

I'm only getting a reading of an average of 70 watts ,for my HTPC running video.
    When I run ATItOOls 3D screen it increases by 10watts.
    The machine uses about 3 watts when it's turned off.

It's pretty impressive how low machines can be.

Advertisement