Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using PHPBB 3?

Options
  • 26-02-2008 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

I have installed it and was really surprised of the differences between v2 and v3, this is huge.

A lot of security features, anti spam etc.
    Well I have to say this is a beautiful piece of forum now.
    A lot more effective than previous version or even vBulletin in my humble opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Most of vB is now in the basic package with phpBB3, and there are even some features that phpBB3 has that vB lacks, I think I will be waiting a few realises on phpBB3 before I start to use it too clear up any bug that have not been found yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

mick.fr wrote: »
    I have installed it and was really surprised of the differences between v2 and v3, this is huge.

A lot of security features, anti spam etc.
    Well I have to say this is a beautiful piece of forum now.
    A lot more effective than previous version or even vBulletin in my humble opinion.
    I have to agree. PHPBB2 really went more downhill than it should have. PHPBB3 has improved so much more in so many ways, and is no longer the piece of crap it used to be. I cant compare it to vBulletin because I've never used vB, but it is cathching up immensley on vB(frontend anyway), and has overtaken SMF imo.

Not going to use it yet, until it matures a bit more, but when it matures, it should be great.. with modules, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Interesting. Didn't know this came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

It's a lovely piece of software now - and super easy to deploy (especially with the one-click installers).

Gives vbulletin a real run for it's money it does,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Just installed it yesterday too - dead impressed.

Now, if only I could find a vBulletin style...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I shall be installing PHPBB3 before I invest in VBulletin again. The secuirty holes were always a concern for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PhpBB3 seems to be a much more secure and efficient system than previous versions imo, I have not seen one spammer message get through on the board I installed (And am seeing many PhpBB2 boards getting spammed out of it :P, Feature wise it has a few new cool things and also a easier to use admin control panel, imo its worth upgrading to, I havn't come accross any issiues with it yet, bar the lack of officially released modifications :D

Nick

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm a big fan of phpBB3, have managed to successfully keep a forum running on it since the betas, about two years now :)

vB has a different audience though, and phpBB3 is still relatively fresh out of the oven, not many modifications yet. Quick reply still bizarrely missing (not hard to add, just a bit irritating).

I haven't seen a single spam account get through phpBB3s system either in the two years I've been running it.

Advertisement