Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFXII - Revenant Wings

Options
  • 26-02-2008 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

So I don't know if there was a post about this before since I only recently wandered onto this forum but what do you guys think of this game? I'm a big FF fan but never tried FF tactics or any strategy games really except c&c generals once upon a time... Basically I got it for the name :p

Anyway I got this for Christmas (family in New York), and well, it was entertaining for a while, but really it's just not a fun game... There's not a whole lot of strategy, and I don't really like the art style at all... Let's not even start on the story (although I only got as far as chapter 4 or so). I was really excited about the game, but i got Zelda TPH as well (my first zelda game), and really there's just no comparison, basically one is fun, one isn't (I know they're a completely different style.

So yeah, I absolutely love FF as a series, I liked X-2 when everyone else was giving out about it, I played my way through FFVII: DOC and found it pretty fun, but i was really let down by this game. I know it was only released about a week ago over here, but what do you guys think? I'm hesitant about playing any of the FF Tactics games now incase it's more of the same, are my fears unfounded?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

kisaragi wrote: »
    I know it was only released about a week ago over here, but what do you guys think? I'm hesitant about playing any of the FF Tactics games now incase it's more of the same, are my fears unfounded?

Don't let the crapness of revenant wings stop you getting Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSP. Revenant wings is a simplified 'my first RTS' and not a very good one at that. FF tactics is a completely different game, it's a turn based strategy RPG and by far and away the best turn based RPG ever conceived.

However I'd advise against the GBA and soon to be released DS Final Fantasy Tactics Advance games. Although they are similar to FF Tactics all the strategy, story and challenge have been removed from the game mechanics and what you are left with is a very easy and entirely dull experience. The interface is also a complete mess and is a challenge in itself to use without getting frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

geez...remember last year sometime i was talking if people wanna a FF game on DS and this is the latest one...

this EU localised thingy is really killing the business...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

seraphimvc wrote: »
    this EU localised thingy is really killing the business...

It's really just squaresoft being really lazy. If Mistwalker can get out Lost Odyssey in all languages in america and europe within 3 months of the japanese release then I'm sure the biggest producer of J RPGs in the world can perform a similar feat without a year long wait.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's really just squaresoft being really lazy. If Mistwalker can get out Lost Odyssey in all languages in america and europe within 3 months of the japanese release then I'm sure the biggest producer of J RPGs in the world can perform a similar feat without a year long wait.

oh,that is really true!saw Lost Odyssey preorder in shop already!

i have no clue why is that most of those Japan company 'hate' Europe so much,cause' overall,we have the (mostly)highest market here!look at ps3 sales.what i mean is,we are IMPORTANT customers,aint we?or that's why make them care less on EU market-->they know we will pay anyway,so no rush....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

Its out Friday :D looks very good...any played or read a review of it?

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    Its out Friday :D looks very good...any played or read a review of it?

It's getting mostly great reviews. Any bad reviews are from idiots moaning about random battles, usually the same ones that thought FFXII was the best thing ever :rolleyes: Can't wait for this one. It's being made by most of the old Final Fantasy team and I haven't played a decent FF game since FFX (when these guys left Square Enix).

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭davidtobin100

Retrogamer: Sorry man, I'm one of those XII lovers! :)

Only played Revenant Wings for a few hours yet - not great, but not awful. I feel pretty ambivalent to it I must admit. As an aside, Lost Od is only €55 in Zavvi (Virgin) as oppossed to €70 in most other places. Make sure to post us some impressions as I am still making my mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

I know this is off topic....but if you play as an immortal in Lost Od.....can you die?

Picked LO up today - only played the first 45 minutes though. Seems very old-school JRPG. First impressions are good, only negative is the poor voice-over work.

ec18 wrote: »
    I know this is off topic....but if you play as an immortal in Lost Od.....can you die?
    lol this thread is hijacked!

and for the immortal,technically speaking u wont 'die' but if all of ur team die,that's called 'GAME OVER':D

When one of your immortal characters lose all of their health, they get knockout for a few turns and when they get back up they only have a small fraction of the health.

You can either wait a few turns or use a reviving item on them. You have to use a reviving item on mortal characters because the don't get back up by themselves.

• Advertisement

There's a good thread in the XBox forum about LO. Would be tons of info there as it's already up to 7 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 philemon

Is this anything like Heroes of Mana ? I don't want to touch anything with such godawful controls again, even if it has FF brand on it. :confused:

Advertisement