Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best looking saloon/coupe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

JHMEG wrote: »
    I should dig up some of your past reactions. Some were quite amusing:D

Your own defence of the Honda brand is quite amusing so I wouldn't really start calling the kettle black just yet! ;)
    Lots of people on here think it's bland, not just me. You should have got the Audi if you didn't want bland.

See this is clearly where we differ. I don't buy cars to please other people I buy cars because I enjoy them. My car offered a better, more involving drive than an A or S5, not to mention far better value for money.

You think it's bland, I don't. I think Hondas by and large are bland, you don't. I'm not on here telling you what I personally think of your car though as I wouldn't think you'd be interested so you should assume the same.

You gotta admit, the car you put up in this thread stands out like a sore thumb. You only put it up to have a Honda in there. If E92 put a BMW up in this thread you'd have a go at him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MarkN wrote: »
    You gotta admit, the car you put up in this thread stands out like a sore thumb.
    There's a Honda on Page 1 in case you hadn't noticed! Not put there by me.

Yes the Acura RSX stands out. It's aesthetically pleasing to me, I like it.

335 might be a fantastic car, but the thread is about looks, and the A5/S5 looks better. I think the curent 3-series is very bland. Like Toyota Corolla bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I should dig up some of your past reactions. Some were quite amusing:D

Which coupe? You coupe? Lots of people on here think it's bland, not just me. You should have got the Audi if you didn't want bland. If it's any consolation my current car looks almost as bland, but not as bland.

There are no Hondas in the BMW brochure so you wouldn't really be familiar with Honda's range.

I could get you to write it for me Mark.. "seeking bland, high maintenance, woman"..

When it comes to cars I admit I prefer function over form.

also to be fair to mark he is no bmw fanboy, his previous car was an audi and he had 2 vws prior to that

i agree with the lack of aesthetically pleasing honda statements to be fair but its just an opinion, horses for courses etc

You gotta admit, the car you put up in this thread stands out like a sore thumb.

This stands out:
    PetesR34.jpg
    I nearly bought it last year. Lovely. Now that's what I call a coupe.

As Cyrus said, I am completely not any big fan of BMW.
    but the thread is about looks, and the A5/S5 looks better.

And I didn't really comment on the looks of the 3 until you directed the comments at me. If I thought the 3 series was the best looking coupe around I would've posted one up! :)

You hit the nail on the head, maybe the Audi has some lines to it that make it better looking than the BMW to some people - I think it's looks fat (not phat!) from the side - particularly the half of the car from the drivers door to the boot but the BMW is the better car to be behind the wheel of and that is why I bought it. And it's not like I formed that opinion overnight. I test drove and test drove and test drove some more before I came to my decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

This stands out:
    PetesR34.jpg

There is no doubt about the Skylines ability, but I'm sorry referring back to my beauty is in the eye of the beholder comment, someone in work had one of those last year, looked identical to that and we all had a good laugh walking past it every day. It looks like it fell out of a playstation game (and to steal someone elses gag) bounced into the front window of Halfords.

As for the blandness of the 3 series, compared to the skyline you are dead right it is bland (in a good way), there is not a huge distinction between the exterior the A5 & the 3 Coupe IMHO, the Audi wins hands down on the inside, Audi could have pushed the design boat out a little bit instead on taking a nice TT and stretching in by 300mm.

I can't help but think you are throwing in the positive comments about the Alfa's and Audi's for the benefit of the readers to offset your Honda tunnel vision a little (IMO of course)

We have all seen your comments slowly shift from objective and useful in general motoring to pro Honda ranting over the last 4-6 weeks in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

I like the look of these:
    02rsx-a-spec-action.jpg

Love the shopping trolley handle on the back!! WHY OH WHY! Formula 1 cars have smaller spoilers, and we know which would do a lap of Monte Carlo faster!!

Don't like Honda's myself, well, not too fond of Jap cars at all, but Honda always makes me think of, "Stary bud, I'm Berno and I just bought a black 95 imported Honda shhhivic. It's way quicker dan me Appppprrrilllllia Moped, ya know... And when I've driven da sh!t outta dis, I tink I'll buy a Type AAR, or maybe an aul Skkubaru Impretttttza! Here have ya any blow!??"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I dont know what anyone sees in the new 3 series coupe. I wont say they have ruined the styling but it looks flabby and girly. The 5 series is still a great looking car but I hope whoever styled the new 3 series does not get his hands on the 5 series.

And I didn't really comment on the looks of the 3 until you directed the comments at me.
    And I didn't direct anything at you until this post.
    Victor_M wrote:
    We have all seen your comments slowly shift from objective and useful in general motoring to pro Honda ranting over the last 4-6 weeks in particular.
    I'm getting sick of w@nkers on this forum coming out with "you're such a honda fanboy" if I post something about a Honda. The same w@nkers have a problem if I say something that doesn't worship BMW.

IMHO the Acura RSX is lovely, the R34 GTR is lovely, the current 3-series is bland. GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON.

It took me 3 clicks on google images to find that with "Honda+flag" in the search, let me have my moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Alfa 159 is the most attractive saloon available or to be available for the forseeable future IMHO. Again IMHO, there is no car sub 100k euro that looks better especially in Ti trim. Wow.
    It has a type of aston martin flair to it. The interior is stunning too.

Slightly off topic... if the seat bolero looks anything like this prototype
    http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.autoreview.ru/new_site/year2001/n01/news/p600/SeatBolero4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.autoreview.ru/new_site/year2001/n01/news/news2.htm&h=98&w=135&sz=56&tbnid=_UT2_Kq9_KQJ:&tbnh=98&tbnw=135&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=3
    (another prototype)
    http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/-seat-bolero-will-replace-the-toledo-ar35663/picture170021-1.html
    it will give the alfa run for its money.
    or this artists impression from the schematic released drawings...
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/seat_bolero_s_ttac_01_01.jpg
    it will give the 159 a run for its money (style wise)!

I'm getting sick of w@nkers on this forum coming out with "you're such a honda fanboy" if I post something about a Honda. The same w@nkers have a problem if I say something that doesn't worship BMW.

Now, now, language, no need to get abusive!

If you post something about Honda??? Do you post anything else these days?

You see, this is what has been happening over the last 6 weeks, you get exasperated & frustrated when the general populous doesn't see the motoring world through Japanese tinted glasses.

You have 2 major issues, for some reason you are on a anti-BMW rampage and a pro-Honda mercy mission.

If I had the time to trawl through the last 4 weeks I'd guess 75% of your posts (and there have been about 100) are either BM bashing and trying to convince everyone on here you are right and Honda/Vtec praising.

LarWright summed it up pretty well, this is what most people's perception (mine too based on years of seeing it firsthand) of Jap rice racer drivers is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Lads can we all cool down a bit and just draw a line under it. There is always going to be disagreement in a thread like this as by definition it is subjective, but there is no need to spend a full page of the thread getting personal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

This stands out:
    PetesR34.jpg

fabulous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It's a hatchback.

So is a DC5! :)

TheBazman wrote: »
    Lads can we all cool down a bit and just draw a line under it. There is always going to be disagreement in a thread like this as by definition it is subjective, but there is no need to spend a full page of the thread getting personal about it.

Agreed, voice of reason has arrived.

I still want 2 R8's and an M5 though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

This stands out:
    PetesR34.jpg

Lovely.
    I take it you mean lovely like a starlet with go faster stripes and blacked out windows.

That car may be fast, etc but it looks dumb (at least to me). As another comment mentioned its the kind of vehicle most people laugh/ sneer at due to its silly look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

OK, a different slant on it. A good looking car will also be quite cool. Alfa's are cool. The Audi TT looked cool when it first came out. Ferraris, Astons, etc are cool.

So thinking along the coolly goodlooking line then the new Audi coupe is great. The MINI is good looking. Even - God help us all - the new shape Astra looks a bit cool. I can see myself in any of those cars. Now based on other things (marque history, performance, real world needs) I wouldn't buy a Mini or an Astra but I wouldn't be embarassed being seen in one, or pulling up to a red carpet premiere and having my photo taken with it, or an Alfa or an Audi A5 or TT

But that Honda and the Skyline look awful. I would be mortified to be seen within 10 feet of one, let alone behind the wheel. I don't care how they drive or how form follows function they are just terminally uncool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Jeepers, things have become heated in here since I last dropped by!

JHMEG - to post a picture of that be-spoilerd Integra in a 'best-looking car' thread is quite frankly ludicrous. Hondas are superbly engineered cars. That doyen of motoring writers - LJK Setright - was just as obsessed with them! However they are NOT lookers. The Skyline is kind of a motorised Vin Diesel - not conventionally 'good-looking' as the thread title suggests but brutal, macho, purposeful (I'm a bit uncomfortable with that comparison! :o)

MarkN - you are not a BMW fanboy per se but you ARE a German car fanboy IMHO. JHMEG is taunting you a little but I can see where he's coming from. I have NEVER seen you even become involved in a thread unless it involved either BMW, Audi or maybe a VW. Could I ask if you've ever owned a non-German car? I've only owned Japanese to be honest (almost ashamed to admit it!) but i do take an interest in all marques and plan - at the moment - to go for an Alfa next time around.;)

BTW I disagree with all those who say the 3 series coupe is bland, ugly etc. The saloon, yes, but they've 'fixed' the Carisma back-end on the Coupe. I think it's much, much nicer and more distinctive than an A5. :)

Owned two Fords too if that counts :D

If I steer clear of certain discussions then it's because I am not as familiar with certain marques - that's the only reason.

I would be a German car fan over Jap stuff yep but I'd take this off your hands all the same but even then, the interior is not a place I'd like to spend a lot of time. I just prefer the class of German stuff.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Nissan/Skyline/PREMIUM-EDITION/875711/

performancemotorworksGTRBLA924.jpg
    performancemotorworksGTRBLA923.jpg
    performancemotorworksGTRBLA925.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

If I steer clear of certain discussions then it's because I am not as familiar with certain marques - that's the only reason.

I would be a German car fan over Jap stuff yep but I'd take this off your hands all the same but even then, the interior is not a place I'd like to spend a lot of time. I just prefer the class of German stuff.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Nissan/Skyline/PREMIUM-EDITION/875711/

performancemotorworksGTRBLA924.jpg
    performancemotorworksGTRBLA923.jpg
    performancemotorworksGTRBLA925.jpg

That comes with it's own drivers suit

batmanuniformset.jpg

Thanks pburns for injecting some reason!

@Victor_M.. I'm feeling uncomfortable that you may be showing a little too much interest in me, quoting facts and figures about me. I'd ask you to stop.

Thanks pburns for injecting some reason!

@Victor_M.. I'm feeling uncomfortable that you may be showing a little too much interest in me, quoting facts and figures about me. I'd ask you to stop.

Will do! don't want you coming around doing donuts in your Teg outside my house at night if I antagonise you any further.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Victor_M wrote: »
    Will do! don't want you coming around doing donuts in your Teg outside my house at night if I antagonise you any further.;)

Haha. Rapih! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Mmmm...nope not really!;) Kinda difficuly to pigeonhole Ford but the Euro ones (and some US ones too) are German engineered for the most part aren't they?

That's a very telling remark! I suspect most everyday cars fly completely under your radar... You see (IMO!) unless you can jump in and discuss the aesthetic qualities of something as mundane as the new Citroen C5, the crappiness of something as crap as a Nissan Tilda or the relative merits of something as obscure as the Kia Ceed, I'm not sure I'd really qualify you as a 'car fan'. Not that there's anything wrong with that... But there's more to cars than a prestige badge and a nicely finished interior and - if I may be so bold - I don't see that you 'get' that.:)
    That comes with it's own drivers suit

batmanuniformset.jpg

:D

doing donuts in your Teg
    Do you call yourself a car fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭skaterdude

see lots of arguments lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There's a Honda on Page 1 in case you hadn't noticed! Not put there by me.

Yes the Acura RSX stands out. It's aesthetically pleasing to me, I like it.

335 might be a fantastic car, but the thread is about looks, and the A5/S5 looks better. I think the curent 3-series is very bland. Like Toyota Corolla bland.
    The RSX is an Integra with a different badge. Not exactly a million miles away from Honda now like!

As for the Skyline you posted, what a boy racer special. In fairness a lot of Hondas look like boy racer specials these days. An E30 and E36 BMW are also becoming boy racer specials too though sadly.

The current 3 series is a good looking car too, but the base 320i is plain enough. A 6 cylinder model is a lot better. 7 series is hideous, but a spin in one will very quickly remind you about not judging books by their covers. In fairness there are a lot of good looking BMWs(though the Bangleised ones are still all wrong to me 6 years on), but very few, if indeed any, are oil paintings.

As for the best looking saloon, it has to be the B6 A4(the one that came out in 2001). The B7 i.e. the facelifted one, is all wrong at the back and especially the front(as are all the Audis with a big mouth at the front).

Best looking Coupé has to be well I can't decide really, but the A5, Mazda RX-8 and Alfa Brera are all very good looking indeed.

I must say some of the posts on the previous pages are extremely amusing indeed:D!

pburns wrote: »
    Mmmm...nope not really!;) Kinda difficuly to pigeonhole Ford but the Euro ones (and some US ones too) are German engineered for the most part aren't they?

That's a very telling remark! I suspect most everyday cars fly completely under your radar... You see (IMO!) unless you can jump in and discuss the aesthetic qualities of something as mundane as the new Citroen C5, the crappiness of something as crap as a Nissan Tilda or the relative merits of something as obscure as the Kia Ceed, I'm not sure I'd really qualify you as a 'car fan'. Not that there's anything wrong with that... But there's more to cars than a prestige badge and a nicely finished interior and - if I may be so bold - I don't see that you 'get' that.:)

:D

I think you've picked me up wrong, I'm very much a car nut, I just find threads about your more unusual/dream cars more interesting.

Only a few weeks back did I try to give advice to a guy trying to get a decent straight deal on a new Ford Galaxy. I'd actually like to write in a motoring area sometime in the future so I take lot of interest in some of the stuff here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I knew MarkN wouldn't be happy with me saying so, which was one of the reasons I said it. His frustrated reaction is always amusing.

:D reminds me of a certain some one.

I was going to say the same thing about the bland looks of the integra/Rsx but i didnt bother as you might have thought its something personal against you and me "honda bashing" again ... you know me and my giant chip on my shoulder for honda :rolleyes:

Can you please post a pic of the giant honda shrine you worship ??

....Have you added me to your ignore list yet?! - god forbid should someone have a negative thing to say about the almighty "H"

Some of the posts so far are classic, looks like youve got yourself a bit of a rep on these boards JHMEG.

Im with markN on this one and and also VitcorM 's post on the previous page hit bullseye about you!

Advertisement