Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL dropping connection

Options
  • 26-02-2008 6:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi , Im not sure if this is the right place or not , but I havent been able to connect to an online game since november it keeps dropping the connection and its ntl's fault. I managed to get it working on thursday and it worked for about 3 days but now its gone again. I was wondering if anyone knows any proxy servers or anything I could use to play this game without ntl dropping the connection again. I have a 6mb ntl line and im using a wired router that came with the broadband pakage.
    Thanks in advance to anyone that might have a solution and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

yeah my NTL connection is dropping randomly too. Its a new development for me (besides constantly getting crap speeds) - i think they are "working on the network" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Seems to be ok till about 6pm, then goes into rapid nosedive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

it was back up ( more or less ) till about 7 this morning now its gone again. (only for the game, the regular internet is fine/ok all the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Either there is a high rate of packet loss on your connection for some reason. Or they are blocking the port that the game uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

its the packet losses. I'm nearly sure, but i don't know how to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Its the traffic shaping technology NTL or its partners use. There's already plenty of discussions going on elsewhere on Boards regarding this issue. Try looking at one of the stickies here.

Also

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055199528
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055194346

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 spektr

since November, is it? In that case, it's that p2p networks/game servers issue which "they still haven't fixed" according to them.
    Its the traffic shaping technology NTL or its partners use

any evidence of this? because I'm still not sure whether it is the case of really dull brains or harsh traffic shaping and lying to their customers.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

spektr wrote: »
    any evidence of this? because I'm still not sure whether it is the case of really dull brains or harsh traffic shaping and lying to their customers.

Plenty, if you care to look. For example, Splash Damage ascertained this was the problem with Quake Wars. Packets being misinterpreted as BT traffic and throttled. In any event, how else would you explain so many games suddenly ceasing to work with only certain ISP's all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 spektr

Plenty, if you care to look. For example, Splash Damage ascertained this was the problem with Quake Wars. Packets being misinterpreted as BT traffic and throttled.

no I meant the proof of actual traffic shaping. How is it possible to know that these problems are not due to another reason?
    In any event, how else would you explain so many games suddenly ceasing to work with only certain ISP's all of a sudden.

that may be the case of "dull brains" as I've said earlier. As far as I know they have been making some changes since November with their networks and routers. Reading through different forums, I can say that:
    *people noticed their external IPs to be changed
    *complaints about DNS servers get down frequently
    *many websites got blocked, which were unblocked soon though
    *problems with p2p/games servers
    *some problem with new IPs (apparently for new customers, don't know much about that)
    Again, everything of the above started in November.
    Apart from that I'm still getting emails from CS saying that they are aware of the problems and fixing them.
    So probably poor ntl technicians don't possess enough skills to fix everything quickly and there is no any traffic shaping?

Well, UPC have admitted they engage in this. I have seen my own connection throttled in fact. If you were to look on the Splash Damage forums they detail discussions they have had with various ISP's admitting it.

I suppose the other things you mention are possible and I certainly am no I.T. expert but other people more informed than I am believe throttling/shaping or whatever you want to call it is to blame. Regardless, its bloody irritating.

• Advertisement

According to someone on the Eve Online forum, NTL say they have "fixed" the issue with dropping connections. I can't test this myself as I'm at work but it will be interesting to see if my own issues are now solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭omalleyTown

Maximilian wrote: »
    Well, UPC have admitted they engage in this. I have seen my own connection throttled in fact. If you were to look on the Splash Damage forums they detail discussions they have had with various ISP's admitting it.

I suppose the other things you mention are possible and I certainly am no I.T. expert but other people more informed than I am believe throttling/shaping or whatever you want to call it is to blame. Regardless, its bloody irritating.

Anyone know how effective turning on encryption is at dealing with UPC's methods of traffic shaping?

Anyone know how effective turning on encryption is at dealing with UPC's methods of traffic shaping?

p2p traffic is fine for me with encryption turned on.

Advertisement