Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Navara unsafe: (1 star only !)

Options
  • 26-02-2008 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7264155.stm
    The European body responsible for testing new cars has demanded a pick-up truck be recalled after it received one of the worst ever crash safety scores.
    Euro NCap said the Nissan Navara's poor design made deaths and serious injuries more likely in an accident.

The tests showed its airbags opened too slowly and seatbelts did not provide enough protection during a collision.

But Nissan said the airbag problem was limited to 2008 models and invited owners to have settings changed.

The Nissan Navara scored just one star out of a possible five in the Euro NCAP test. The Isuzu D-Max pick-up truck also scored poorly, gaining only two stars.

BBC transport correspondent Tom Symonds said the Navara was marketed as a "rough and tough" off-road vehicle, which has become increasingly popular as a recreational motor.

He said the tests also found that the "body shell wasn't strong enough and the foot well deformed on impact putting the driver at risk of injuries from the foot pedals".

Euro Ncao is an independent body that crash tests cars on sale in Europe, and Nissan has asked it to publish test results for the modified Navara.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Chinese cars sound safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kbannon wrote: »
    The Chinese cars sound safer!

The Chinese car most likely to appear on the roads here soon *had* a 4 star rating, wonder will the new manufacturing affect it (Rover 75/"Roewe 750", arriving at a SsangYong dealer near you soon...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Im not surprised... To add to that, they are way to light to drive given high centre of gravity and amount of airflow thats pushed under the nose, it feels ready to take off at anything over 60mph. It skits all over the road in any conditions and the back end is lethal for losing traction on corners because theres no counter balance to keep the wheels on the tar when your not carrying anything in the back end. Withdraw it and try again i say. Nil Points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Auto Consulting

That's very interesting about the Navara. It's a great looking 4x4, I'd like to see the updated results for the most recent model.

I've driven a few Navaras and they're really nice to drive, it's very easy to lose the back going around corners. That's true of any pick up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here it is from the horses mouth:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/nissan_navara/317.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Wow.

So much for people thinking they're safer in bigger cars!
    Think I'll stick in my Clio!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Im not surprised... To add to that, they are way to light to drive given high centre of gravity and amount of airflow thats pushed under the nose, it feels ready to take off at anything over 60mph. It skits all over the road in any conditions and the back end is lethal for losing traction on corners because theres no counter balance to keep the wheels on the tar when your not carrying anything in the back end. Withdraw it and try again i say. Nil Points.

Agreed. I'm surprised it's getting any stars at all. It's a pick up truck, not a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

unkel wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm surprised it's getting any stars at all. It's a pick up truck, not a car!

The very similar Mitsubishi LS 200 scored four stars, the Isuzu (whatever its name is) only two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fupp, that drivers side wheel would be getting very intmate with your right foot.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

How shameful, it got the same rating as the Rover Metro!

It's also about on par with the Ford F-150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote: »
    The very similar Mitsubishi LS 200 scored four stars

Now that surprises me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Auto Consulting

Renault's influence obviously hasn't stretched as far as the 4x4 Nissan range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

how did the pathfinder do? Its a close relation to the crewcab navara?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

it scored well in side impact and child protection... maybe its aimed at that young Need for Speed Generation? which if film/games/tv would have us believe, spend most of their time going everywhere sideways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

This isn't the first time Nissan had such a cavilier attitude towards safety, you'd think after the original Almera with the flagged star they'd have learned their lesson.

Apparently the new cars coming from China will be just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Wow the passenger airbag inflated too too late, the passengers head missed the airbag completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

If you look at videos of your own car in the crash tests, its really weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 derryman

Hey

the same model series nissan pathfinder gets four points (32 out of 35 points)

go figure - must be a different body (safety) shell

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/nissan_pathfinder_2006/254.aspx

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

this is bad news for Nissan - and its been all over national radio today. Bad news for em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is even worse considering every Navara driver I've ever encountered is a complete and utter moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

seamus wrote: »
    This is even worse considering every Navara driver I've ever encountered is a complete and utter moron.

Their overinflated ego will probably protect them more than the airbag so they'll be alright :eek:

Seriously though I'm shocked to see such a poor rating on such a big and popular vehicle. Does anyone know if the NCAP has any powers to order a recall or does it have no legal standing. Any other cars sold here that have achieved one star?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd love to see the toyota hilux tested.Theres way more of them around than navara's.A poor result would knock toyota off their Mile high horse:p "evil laugh"

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I'd love to see the toyota hilux tested.Theres way more of them around than navara's.A poor result would knock toyota off their Mile high horse:p "evil laugh"

Well considering they couldn't even break the Hilux on Top Gear, I'd say it's probably pretty good. I think there are IIHS videos of the Hilux/4runner on Youtube.

Toyota puts the food on my table and you won't see anything else parked in my driveway so obviously we're not big Nissan fans in my family. :D But having said all that, I wouldn't wish that any other car on the road performs poorly in crashes. That's a bit petty and just an invitation for Karma to come and rear end you as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

javaboy wrote: »
    Well considering they couldn't even break the Hilux on Top Gear, I'd say it's probably pretty good. I think there are IIHS videos of the Hilux/4runner on Youtube.

That was a fantastic show with the Hilux! I wanted one afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Well considering they couldn't even break the Hilux on Top Gear, I'd say it's probably pretty good. I think there are IIHS videos of the Hilux/4runner on Youtube.quote]

That was a great episode! i wanted to get a hilux afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

that sounds bad alright

but do you really think you'd be safer in say a Ford Focus or a Nissan Navara if the 2 cars both crashed into one another at 50kph head on?

you can compare saftey standards between jeeps and cars it like comparing buses to trains

The steering wheel is just as hard in the Navara as it is in Focus. The difference is in a head on the passenger effectively has no airbag in the Navara and so the steering wheel cushions your head in a collision. Also the cab seems to deform pretty badly. The Navara has nearly 1000kg extra kerb weight so obviously that's a factor but I'd feel safer day to day in a Ford Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The steering wheel is just as hard in the Navara as it is in Focus. The difference is in a head on the passenger effectively has no airbag in the Navara and so the steering wheel cushions your head in a collision. Also the cab seems to deform pretty badly. The Navara has nearly 1000kg extra kerb weight so obviously that's a factor but I'd feel safer day to day in a Ford Focus.

Why would the passenger be hitting the steering wheel?

I assume by the article they've recalibrated the airbag to work on time anyway.(Dont think there was an issue with the drivers airbag)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

E92 wrote: »
    This isn't the first time Nissan had such a cavilier attitude towards safety, you'd think after the original Almera with the flagged star they'd have learned their lesson.

Which version was this? I can only find the '99 result for the Almera on the site (2 stars, one flagged)

I ask cause I drive a '98 :(

Advertisement