Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Navara unsafe: (1 star only !)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why would the passenger be hitting the steering wheel?

I assume by the article they've recalibrated the airbag to work on time anyway.(Dont think there was an issue with the drivers airbag)

*smacks head harder than a Navara passenger in stupidity :o:o

Yeah sorry it's the passenger side that has the problem and no there is no steering wheel on the passenger side. Going off to hang my head in shame now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

And I get mine delivered tomorrow.... awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I should never have looked at that site. When the Yaris (00) was in a side impact crash the passengers head went fully out the window. Ah! That's very scary.

Anyway Nissan should be ashamed having cars getting only one star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Cionád wrote: »
    Which version was this? I can only find the '99 result for the Almera on the site (2 stars, one flagged)

I ask cause I drive a '98 :(

It did even worse the first time they tested IIRC. I think they changed the seatbelts or something(could it have been the airbags?) for the second time they tested it, not sure exactly. And most cars tend to get revised over their life cycle to make them safer(in the Almera in question, they first came out in 96, so by the time they got rid of it in 2000 or 2001 or whenever it was, they might have made things like a drivers airbag standard from say 98, and a passengers one from 2000, I'm only guessing and the example above is only a pretend one to try and explain what I said above about a particular car model getting safer over it's life cycle).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Ah ****e...I have a 03 single cab for muckin about... Presumably that's no better than the newer model tested:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I had a "Navarra" in South Africa, it was called a Hardbody. Never driven such a crap car since the Lada Niva (that got stuck in third gear on day one)

The first time I used 4H on a dirt road the transfer box sh*t its internals after 30 miles.

Give me a Hi-Lux anyday.

Drove a '06 version here for a while, hated it. Good for nothing... unless you're upgrading from a Commer van...:rolleyes:

Be Gone & Good Riddance IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

The website was jammed most for most of the day, finally got a look at it. To think your safer in a 97 clio than that truck of a navara!! Well tis not good news for Nissan Europe methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

meltdown

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I believe a car to be legally declared commercially road worthy in Europe has to get 3 stars at least.
    The Chinese cars initially did not get 3 stars the last year, they passed since as we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 davrac

seamus wrote: »
    This is even worse considering every Navara driver I've ever encountered is a complete and utter moron.

A bold statement, probably from a SMALL car driver, jealously will get you nowhere. its not our fault you cant afford one. If you dont like the Navara, why are you posting threads??? nothing else to do???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

davrac wrote: »
    A bold statement, probably from a SMALL car driver, jealously will get you nowhere. its not our fault you cant afford one. If you dont like the Navara, why are you posting threads??? nothing else to do???

Ooooh, he must have really "grinded your gears" for you to register solely for that comment. :rolleyes:

All small car drivers are poor lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

pleasantly surprised with the L200 i must say!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I think one of the main reasons the Navara did so poorly was to do with the timing of the airbag release.

I read somewhere that Nissan anre going to issue a recall, and perform a software upgrade that will mean the airbag will release quicker. This should help their NCAP score. This probably explains why the very similar Pathfinder did quite well.

Jayzus, you've just proved seamus' assessment of Navara drivers. What an utterly moronic thing to say (and that's coming from a fellow Navara owner!)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks for proving my point.

However, it's an opinion based on my experiencing cycling in Dublin city. When a large vehicle in front of or beside me does something stupid, more often than not I see the word "Navara" as they drive off. I'm not jealous in the slightest. I'd rather drive a vehicle that doesn't make me look like a tinker. What use is a pickup except for business?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd rather drive a vehicle that doesn't make me look like a tinker.
    ROFL

What use is a pickup except for business?

Well in the case of the Navara, it's a perfect way of bumping someone off.

e.g. Want to go for a spin in my new Navara Mortal Enemy?
    sure why not.
    Hop in the passenger seat there! :eek::eek:

I don't know how much of a difference airbag timing tinkering will make, as the crash of the Navara on the Euro NCAP site showed a vehicle with a large amount of what they call damáiste struchtúrach in Irish(or structural damage in English).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cionád wrote: »
    Ooooh, he must have really "grinded your gears" for you to register solely for that comment. :rolleyes:

All small car drivers are poor lol

Especially the ones driving those mini coopers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Grow up

311 wrote: »
    Grow up

Jaysus, you really went out of your way to be offended there. :D;) Digging up a 6 week dead thread.

I wonder how many people actually bought Navaras in the days after this story broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It's shocking to think of all the people on the roads ,who can't afford to drive as safe as they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

It's called the Nissan Frontier over here.
    Check out its rating on http://www.safercar.gov/

Can the localisation really make it that different, or do the NHTSA and NCAP test in drastically different ways. And if so, can we really trust either of them?

Edit: I remember reading in the past that Mercedes lambasted the NHTSA and NCAP because the way the cars are tested makes it virtually impossible to make a car that achieves top scores in both.

In case people don't know, the Navara has been upgraded to a 3 star NCAP safety rating, following the airbag timing adjustment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Fifth gear did a test, the video is on youtube, between i think a 5star renault modus and a volvo estate from the 80's(weighing 1.5tons).
    Too see when the two met head on which was the better to be sitting in.

Guess which won!
    So nissan navera v ford focus would be an interesting match up. Id rather be a passenger in the focus.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY

edit: Found the video

javaboy wrote: »
    I wonder how many people actually bought Navaras in the days after this story broke.

Well I spoke to a friend of mine who was buying one for a staff member yesterday and is considering one for personal use. He knows about the NCAP story but dismissed it as a load of bollocks which i think would be the reaction of many who would be interested in this type of vehicle. The fact that a simple airbag recall can dramatically improve the rating means there was a bit of media hype involved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

E92 wrote: »
    In case people don't know, the Navara has been upgraded to a 3 star NCAP safety rating, following the airbag timing adjustment.

Up there with the Daewoo Matiz now!

Advertisement