Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Dublin Depresses Me..

Options
  • 26-02-2008 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Does anyone else get depressed by the amount of litter in Dublin ? I live in NorthSide Dublin, average estate, not the best but by no means the worst..there is just so much litter around greens, verges, roadsides, etc etc. Just looking at all the crisp packs, cans, bottles, gets me down - not sure if its a manifestation of something else, or just a sadness that nobody has any civic pride, but it really gets to me, to the extent that I would draw the curtains rather than look out at the littered roads. Tried compaining to the council, not to much avail.

Does/has anyone else ever felt like this ?

Thoughts appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure this is a Personal Issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Moving to dublin forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Dublin is a smelly kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I actually hadn't realised how bad the litter problem was until I moved away from Dublin. Here in Perth the whole city is 99% spotless. People just don't litter. I haven't seen anybody throw anything on the ground, though that could be a lot to do with the fact that there are bins everywhere.

It is quite sad and lends a lot to the 'Dirty Ol' Town' image. Something needs to be done, whether it's simply just putting more bins in place or actually fining people properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Anselm

do you think more bins is the answer ? I have spent days cleaning up my road, only for it to be dirty again in a few days..its impossible to keep it litter free- but the council only litter pick main roads, and not private estates..as far as I know ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Anselm wrote: »
    or just a sadness that nobody has any civic pride, but it really gets to me, to the extent that I would draw the curtains rather than look out at the littered roads.

Are you on the residents committee? Have you cleaned up outside your own house? I do that a lot. It helps and makes other people do it and reduces the problem dramatically. I also pull people up if I ever see them littering. It has caused a little hassle for me, but nothing serious and its worth it.;)

Genuinely, if you are depressed by litter, I suggest you move out of the city or the country, or do something proactive about it. Be careful where you go though, there are much dirtier towns outside Dublin!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Even when i was younger I never littered. I was in the car the other day with my younger brother and he was finished a bottle of coke he opened the window and went to throw it out, I was appalled...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

People just don't give a f**k here!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Dublin is a smelly kip.

x2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Were litter is concerend ,for every 1 person who puts his/her litter in the bin another 9 wont .It used to piss me off seeing people throw litter on the streets and out of car windows (ok it still does ) but if they can stop and fine people for attemtaing to smoke in pubs then i dont see why they dont enforce the law more when it comes to litter louts .
    We are outnumbered ,but i still put my litter in bins and will continue to do so .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's a respect issue. We may say we love the city, but we don't respect it. As Xavi pointed out above, it's only when you see the cleanliness of cities abroad, you only realise how filthy Dublin really is. It's not just littler, it's pollution from exhaust fumes too.

It must drive toursits up the wall.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

most of Dublin is a smelly kip. But its my smelly kip, im used to it. If you are sick of Dublin you\\\'re better off leaving or going on a long holiday to a less smellier place. I blame the government!

+1 for Dublin is a smelly kip forum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Even when i was younger I never littered. I was in the car the other day with my younger brother and he was finished a bottle of coke he opened the window and went to throw it out, I was appalled...

Did you give him a clip round the ear?

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    It's a respect issue. We may say we love the city, but we don't respect it. As Xavi pointed out above, it's only when you see the cleanliness of cities abroad, you only realise how filthy Dublin really is. It's not just littler, it's pollution from exhaust fumes too.

It must drive toursits up the wall.

How do you go about educating the people of any city to take pride and respect in their city ? it's not asking much but if a city earns a reputation for being ' Durty ' then it's a mind set thing ....loike ' why change now ' ? . It starts with you and i , him and her ...everybody and it would be easy to blame people of a certain post code but you see it with people from all walks and areas of life ,dropping and disposing of litter that is .

latchyco wrote: »
    How do you go about educating the people of any city to take pride and respect in their city ? it's not asking much but if a city earns a reputation for being ' Durty ' then it's a mind set thing ....loike ' why change now ' ? . It starts with you and i , him and her ...everybody and it would be easy to blame people of a certain post code but you see it with people from all walks and areas of life ,dropping and disposing of litter that is .

You don't.

You can't "educate" or "teach" or "force" people to repect anything - it comes naturally. You have to ask "why don't people resepct Dublin?" and tackle those issues. Do that and the respect will follow.

That are bring back the SS.

Its really down to education!! I've seen many incidents around the city that would "make your blood boil", having been to many cities around Europe its just "plain sad" when you return. We don't know what it is to have civic pride in this country! Our attitudes have to change because its just not good enough to say "let the government sort it" or "someone else will clean it up"!!

Everyone can make a difference by disposing their rubbish carefully! My own front garden after a weekend will have beer cans, newspapers, sweet wrappers, plastic bags, cigarette boxes,etc.. It's very disappointing:(

You don't.

You can't "educate" or "teach" or "force" people to repect anything - it comes naturally. You have to ask "why don't people resepct Dublin?" and tackle those issues. Do that and the respect will follow.

That are bring back the SS.

Why dont people respect Dublin ? exactly is there somthing in the water ? like we have to go abroad to see and appriciate clean streets ? .
    Sombody mentioned tourists well if they see the streets are unclean it says everything about the inhabitants ie , they dont care .

We were all (most of us ) brought up with the proud to be irish tag and rightly so but if we cant take pride in our own streets than it somtimes has a shallow ring to it .

You don't.

Thats not true, of course you can educate people and cultivate respect!
    How does any society progress?? Its not just down to whether someone is naturally tidy or not! Peoples attitudes need to change, from children to adults. It affects us all! Small changes can lead to big results!

Gridlock wrote: »
    Thats not true, of course you can educate people and cultivate respect!
    How does any society progress?? Its not just down to whether someone is naturally tidy or not! Peoples attitudes need to change, from children to adults. It affects us all! Small changes can lead to big results!

"Educating people" and "cultivating respect" are two completely different tasks. If you're educating people, the people will either accept (or not accept) what you teach them.

Cultivating respect is what I endorsed in the first place.

it's like the psychologist/light-bulb joke: people have to want to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Nothing worse than walking past Quinns of Drumcondra on a Thursday or Friday morning. Smash bottles and pints along the path outside and vomit in places as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Live in Rathgar and have to say it is lovely and tidy. Rathmines used to be bad but its a bit better now. Irish people litter and there is no reason in the world not to as there is no deterrent. All you can do is not litter yourself and encourage your kids not to either. You will get a box if you say it to anyone on the street.

"Educating people" and "cultivating respect" are two completely different tasks. If you're educating people, the people will either accept (or not accept) what you teach them.

Cultivating respect is what I endorsed in the first place.

it's like the psychologist/light-bulb joke: people have to want to change.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

raheny red wrote: »
    Nothing worse than walking past Quinns of Drumcondra on a Thursday or Friday morning. Smash bottles and pints along the path outside and vomit in places as well.

Mostly people from the country drink there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I live in the North City Centre, and the litter really really p*sses me off sometimes. My blood boils when I see people littering. The most common one I see is the cigarette wrapper/box being casually dropped on the ground, or kids dropping crisp packets etc..

I see it all the time, but I've never, never seen a litter warden in Dublin. I've been told they exist but I've yet to see proof.

On the spot fines (big fines). That or castration. Too late for the scum that litter, but it might help future generations :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

For the 5 years I lived in Dublin, the filthiness really depressed me. I found the city in general a pretty horrible place to live. Its absolutely manky compared to other European cities. I've visited Rotterdam, Amsterdam and Helsinki in the past few months and they are spotless in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

We spend millions enticing tourists with the Spire, boardwak, and new trees - only for them to admire the graffiti.

Maybe introducing 'common sense' to Leinster House would be a start!:rolleyes:

Nolanger wrote: »
    We spend millions enticing tourists with the Spire, boardwak, and new trees - only for them to admire the graffiti.

If you've ever seen foreign grafitti, trust me, they're not going to be 'admiring' (or bothered by) anything they see around here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In rural areas there is a tidy towns competition.
    Everyone paints their gates, put flowers out in displays and lots of other stuff.
    And god help you is the commitee reckon you aren't pulling your weight, you'd almost be denounced in Sunday mass :eek:

Do Dublin have something similar? Like all the townlands in Dublin enter? I doubt it, it's realy a rural village thing after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

micmclo wrote: »
    In rural areas there is a tidy towns competition.
    Everyone paints their gates, put flowers out in displays and lots of other stuff.
    And god help you is the commitee reckon you aren't pulling your weight, you'd almost be denounced in Sunday mass :eek:

Do Dublin have something similar? Like all the townlands in Dublin enter? I doubt it, it's realy a rural village thing after all

Dublin DOES have something similar. For the last two years (that I've gone to the awards ceremony in Wood Quay) Raheny won first prize in the Best Urban Village, and Rialto won second Prize in the Best Urban Village section of the competition.

They have lots of categories, e.g. 1-100 houses, 101-2500 houses, 2501-5000 houses etc etc.

I've gone around picking up litter in my area. Unwillingly. I felt as if I'm doing DCC's joh. In my opinion, the DCC are retiring the street sweepers and not replacing them. It's too expensive to hire sweepers and give them pensions.
    A week after the cleanup, it was as bad as ever.

On another occasion, I saw this young fella approaching, young, but probably 5th or 6th year, so old enough to know better. He was eating some sweet ina wrapper. He passed by and when I looked around, there was a wrapper on the ground and his hands were empty. So I hollered at him and got him back to pick it up. I told him he should know better, and that there were plenty of wheelie bins between here and his house and there's no excuse for littering. He's old enough to know better, plus the bins in every garden on the street.

I just wish the winos/alcos would do the same with their cans of lager, usually Dutch Gold! They could easily take them away with them and pop them into any green bin.

About 10 years ago, I was coming out of Roches Stores into the Mall area. Two young fellas, maybe 10yo, were throwing sugar sachets on the ground. I shouted at them, 'Pick them up". They said "they're not ours" I said I don't give a sh1t, you've just thrown them there. PICK THEM UP. PICK THEM" and I stood over them till they picked them up.
    Maybe they'll think twice about doing it in future if they thought they'd be reprimanded for it...

It's a big deal every September for the awards ceremony in the Civic Offices. Bit of grub, some drinkies. now you know why I go!!!

Advertisement