Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Dublin Depresses Me..

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Good for you, thats the spirit!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Remember talking to some american tourists once upon a time, they just couldn't get their head around why people couldn't hang onto litter until they reached a bin or home and the dropping of litter within a yard or two of a bin. I can't get my head around it either.
    .../sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Look boys and girls, sit somewhere like McDonalds and watch people get up after their meal and leave the mess on the table. Then next time you go to Europe look out for the European attitude. People in this country expect someone else to clean up after them, they dont give a ****. I have kids and would go through them if they did that, never mind dump their rubbish on the ground. It is ALL about the parents, full stop !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

keving wrote: »
    Look boys and girls, sit somewhere like McDonalds and watch people get up after their meal and leave the mess on the table
    I don't understand why people feel the need to clear their table in McDonald's - like a flock of sheep kow-towing to corporate behavioural influences! Do you do it in other restaurants? Do you feel the need to vacuum the cinema after watching a film? Do you bring your empty glasses back to the counter in the pub? Do you feel the need to bring your supermarket trolley back into the shop or do you place it in the nearest trolley bay?

It's ridiculous to make a connection between littering and those of us who don't feel the need to clear our tables in McDonald's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Red-Devil

I don't understand why people feel the need to clear their table in McDonald's - like a flock of sheep kow-towing to corporate behavioural influences! Do you do it in other restaurants? Do you feel the need to vacuum the cinema after watching a film? Do you bring your empty glasses back to the counter in the pub? Do you feel the need to bring your supermarket trolley back into the shop or do you place it in the nearest trolley bay?

It's ridiculous to make a connection between littering and those of us who don't feel the need to clear our tables in McDonald's.

I couldnt agree more. I couldnt give a **** if some McDonalds worker has to clean up my mess what else do they get paid to do? As long as your not covering your left overs with your own feces the workers should have no problem cleaning up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hugsr4free

You can change the place but not the people!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Red-Devil wrote: »
    I couldnt agree more. I couldnt give a **** if some McDonalds worker has to clean up my mess what else do they get paid to do? As long as your not covering your left overs with your own feces the workers should have no problem cleaning up.

Ah, now THERE'S the attitude that sums up the sentiments quiet nicely! **** everyone except me - I don't give a ****! What is it Homer Simpson said? "Can't someone ELSE do it?!"

Sin-e Fi-annnnna Faaaaail......

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

We Irish are dirty-pigs. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Red-Devil

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Ah, now THERE'S the attitude that sums up the sentiments quiet nicely! **** everyone except me - I don't give a ****! What is it Homer Simpson said? "Can't someone ELSE do it?!"

Sin-e Fi-annnnna Faaaaail......

Well im guessing you dont deliver your own rubbish to the dump every week? do you? no we have bin-men who do that. I dont eat that much in McDonalds anyway I have to say. I much prefer restaraunts where you dont actually have to put away their own product.

Red-Devil wrote: »
    Well im guessing you dont deliver your own rubbish to the dump every week? do you? no we have bin-men who do that. I dont eat that much in McDonalds anyway I have to say. I much prefer restaraunts where you dont actually have to put away their own product.

No, but I've somehow managed the art of depositing rubbish in bins and not leaving it on the table. The respect that's not being shown here is for the person who is waiting for a table to become free and either a) has to sit amongst someone else's trash or b) bin it for them.

Didn't think about them did you? Them being "someone else"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What's needed is a horrible disease to break out to change attitudes.

Back in the 90's, bubonic plague broke out in Inida because of dirt and filthy habits. Guess what happened, the general populace copped on that they were killing themselves and changed their ways.

A shock tactic like a killer disease wil sort out the problem prompto here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

The plonkers of you above have just proved my point :mad:. It's a mind set ! You expect someone else to clean up, be it in Mcd's the street etc. You probably think you are providing employment ! If you think it's a good example to any kid's (your own or not) to just piss off and leave the next customer to deal with YOUR mess, well I am really waisting my time, clueless :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Overheard a couple of guys ranting the other day about the 'Corpo' not taking black bags that were left outside the wheelie bins, so one says to the other, "feck the rubbish all over the street and then the b*****ds will have to take it away":o
    Sadly, thats the kind of attitudes we're up against!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

didn't i read something about 180 million Euro set aside for cleaning up Dublin ? In fairness there is an ad anti-littering campaign (is it still on?) which shows it is being taken seriously.

I blame on excessive packaging provided by fast food companies, i suppose it's a marketing thing...does it really do their brand any good tho when colonel sanders is grinning back at you on a paper bag lying in a dirty puddle covered in ketchup and puke on a sunday morning.

I am pie wrote: »
    didn't i read something about 180 million Euro set aside for cleaning up Dublin ? In fairness there is an ad anti-littering campaign (is it still on?) which shows it is being taken seriously.

I blame on excessive packaging provided by fast food companies, i suppose it's a marketing thing...does it really do their brand any good tho when colonel sanders is grinning back at you on a paper bag lying in a dirty puddle covered in ketchup and puke on a sunday morning.

Sorry, but you're sidestepping the issue. "They gave me too many wrappers so it's okay for me to chuck it on the ground!"? No, sorry. Not acceptable.

It's a lack of respect for other people, end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'm not sidestepping anything. Littering is bad, it's disrepectful. I'm pretty sure no one is trying to defend it. I'm certainly not.

I also think there is an excess is needless packaging produced by most commercial businesses, lot's of it ends up pushed into already full bins or into canals. Most of it need never have been created as it serves no useful purpose. More time is spent more time dealing with all that commercially created crap, less time is spent cleaning the streets. Even if properly disposed of it costs the taxpayer money to dispose of and damages the environment and that my friend is what is "unacceptable". End of.

As for these feckers who continually push the same friggin menu for the same sh:tty food through my door...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The problem isn't just the litterers. More often than not when I'm in Dublin and I take my rubbish to the bin the bin is overflowing. The bins that are there just aren't emptied enough.

iguana wrote: »
    The problem isn't just the litterers. More often than not when I'm in Dublin and I take my rubbish to the bin the bin is overflowing. The bins that are there just aren't emptied enough.

And you can't take it home with you because...?!

Seiousky, though, Isee the points you and i-am-pie are making, but if we want a clean city, we'll very easily make one. Problem is, we don't want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    And you can't take it home with you because...?!

I do take it home with me, but I shouldn't have to. There should be more bins and they should be emptied more regularly. I don't know if you are familiar with Deer park in Mount Merrion? But it is quite a large park and it has 1 bin, that is a total disgrace. I live in what is not a great part of London but there are bins everywhere and they are emptied all the time. I think it would be a lot easier to encourage people to not litter if there are enough bins and if the bins aren't over-flowing.

iguana wrote: »
    I do take it home with me, but I shouldn't have to. There should be more bins and they should be emptied more regularly. I don't know if you are familiar with Deer park in Mount Merrion? But it is quite a large park and it has 1 bin, that is a total disgrace. I live in what is not a great part of London but there are bins everywhere and they are emptied all the time. I think it would be a lot easier to encourage people to not litter if there are enough bins and if the bins aren't over-flowing.

People need more than encouragement!

(PS - When I said "What's wrong with taking litter home?" I meant it generally, not speciacally to you! Apologies for the misunderstrnading)

• Advertisement
Advertisement