Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forum Charter - Give us your thoughts

• 26-02-2008 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

sorry about this but I've Just been reading the forum charters and seen this in motors. I think it makes a lot of sense and something similar (especially point 2) should possibly be added to this particular forum charter. As an architectural professional I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice on construction some of which is just plain wrong. Generally the mods are on hand to clarify any issues but I just think our charter breezes over this a bit.

"* Bannings will be swift. if you don't agree then take it to the feedback forum
    * This is a public forum used by people with no idea what they are talking about. Don't assume the advice given is correct. Maintenance tips offered by forum members, whilst helpful, may not necessarily be correct solution, so if in doubt then contact your nearest dealer or qualified mechanic. If you do something as a result of what you read here, you agree that boards are in no way liable for anything at all - you are responsible for your own actions.
    * Opinions offered here may not be informed or objective and that there may be vested interests in the forum."
    * Back up your statements - if you make a bold statement then please provide some kind of evidence to back up what you are saying.
    * It will be assumed that anyone posting within this forum has read and agreed to these rules.
    * these rules will change so read them frequently!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If you see advice that is "plain wrong", use the report post function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

250882 wrote: »
    sorry about this but I've Just been reading the forum charters and seen this in motors. I think it makes a lot of sense and something similar (especially point 2) should possibly be added to this particular forum charter. As an architectural professional I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice on construction some of which is just plain wrong. Generally the mods are on hand to clarify any issues but I just think our charter breezes over this a bit.

"* Bannings will be swift. if you don't agree then take it to the feedback forum
    * This is a public forum used by people with no idea what they are talking about. Don't assume the advice given is correct. Maintenance tips offered by forum members, whilst helpful, may not necessarily be correct solution, so if in doubt then contact your nearest dealer or qualified mechanic. If you do something as a result of what you read here, you agree that boards are in no way liable for anything at all - you are responsible for your own actions.
    * Opinions offered here may not be informed or objective and that there may be vested interests in the forum."
    * Back up your statements - if you make a bold statement then please provide some kind of evidence to back up what you are saying.
    * It will be assumed that anyone posting within this forum has read and agreed to these rules.
    * these rules will change so read them frequently!
    We do update the charter on a regular basis to take into account issues that arise. Some fair enough points made in the post above though.

I would have preferred this to have been dealt with by PM but seeing as its up here now we may as well get some feedback from the regulars here.

Have you guys anything in mind that you think should be included in the charter? Post your comments here as all suggestions will be welcome.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If some 'wrong' advice is given, isnt it better to debate it out and explain why it is wrong, within the thread structure??.... as in, informed debate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

I agree that it IS better to debate it, thats why we're here but it should be noted that everything in print is not always right.
    Should have PM but never thought of it an never done that before, sorry. I didnt mean to offend anyone and as I said above the mods here all know their stuff and are quick to correct, just like to see where this goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

Could not agree more with Syd, one of main the purposes of this a forum is to put ideas out there to a wide and varied audience and discuss, debate and hopefully come away with some useful information.

If OP spots information which he/she believes is wrong then they are free to post a message saying so and indicate the reasons....

I have learned more about insulation in the last few weeks than I have in the last two years.... great forum !

baud.

• Advertisement

250882 wrote: »
    I agree that it IS better to debate it, thats why we're here but it should be noted that everything in print is not always right.
    Should have PM but never thought of it an never done that before, sorry. I didnt mean to offend anyone and as I said above the mods here all know their stuff and are quick to correct, just like to see where this goes
    No need to apologise at all. Your intentions were good and while PM would probably have been the preferred option as it turns out its actually a good idea to have this out in the public domain and get some ideas and opinions from you, the people who contribute here on a regular basis.

We probably dont say it enough but we really do value all your input as without it there wouldn't be a forum.

I agree that certain or most matters need to be debated but when something is just plain bang out of order there wont be any debate.

250882 I hope you don't mind but I have made a slight amendment to the thread title in order invite people to post their thoughts and opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Why is this activity banned in this forum and does not seem to be banned in the rest of boards.ie?
    Do not reply to a post by inserting text within the quoted post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

suggest add

* no advice given here is a substitute for hiring professional advice during build
    ( over arching point in my opinion )

* opinions will be expressed and guidance will be posted by amongst others, various different professionals and as a result , opinions and guidance offered may vary .

* no one posting here gets paid to do so and those seeking guidance here should not regard contributors as "biddable" ( to be fair I have to say MOST don't )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

sinnerboy wrote: »
    suggest add

* no advice given here is a substitute for hiring professional advice during build
    ( over arching point in my opinion )

)

Some / alot of the mods and regular posters in this forum give accurate advice, working in the industry for 10 years now i find that much advice / assement of situations given from "professionals" can be in many cases poor.

But in effect, i see the point you are trying to make

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

ircoha wrote: »
    Why is this activity banned in this forum and does not seem to be banned in the rest of boards.ie?
    We had this discussion a while back.

The problems with inserting text within a quote are firstly, it becomes unclear what the response to the quote is and secondly, coloured text was used in a few instances. We have a few members who are colour blind and therefore couldn't distinguish.

This part will remain.

likewise snyper -

I qualify , by saying hire a professional who has delivered many , many houses over many, years and who can supply a list of many many satisfied clients .....

Because of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

We have a decent user base now, and most people are aware that adive posted is just that, advice, and hat anything under taken should be approved.
    But that said, there is no harm having it in writing. I quite like the "Motors" forum clause. Copy and past me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

sinnerboy wrote: »
    likewise snyper -

I qualify , by saying hire a professional who has delivered many , many houses over many, years and who can supply a list of many many satisfied clients .....

Well, as i believe mellor said to me once and i agree, its important that there is no liability attached to boards from any problems associated to advice given here.

Personally im very reluctant to give specific advice without seeing actual plans and in many cases to be on site and seeing the situation, because there are things that may not be pointed out or made clear in a post.

Any advice that i would ever give is, given in a broad sence, and with that can come a problem if its applied directly to a specific situation

Just wondering should the charter be more direct in relation to advice...eg
    Nothing posted on this forum can, in any circumstance, be construed as advice, and therefore should not be relied upon as the sole basis for making decisions. Any comments posted on this forum are, of necessity, no more than a collection of observations and comments which are based on a combination of the limited information provided and the opinions of individual contributors.

Giving advice would necessitate access to much more detailed and extensive information, the provision of which, due to the nature of the forum is impractical.

Professional advice should be sought as required.

Just wondering should the charter be more direct in relation to advice...eg

yep - that sounds appropriate i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

Nothing posted on this forum can, in any circumstance, be construed as advice, and therefore should not be relied upon as the sole basis for making decisions. Any comments posted on this forum are, of necessity, no more than a collection of observations and comments which are based on a combination of the limited information provided and the opinions of individual contributors
    isn't this a c.y.a. statement?

Can a poster (or boards.ie ) be held responsible for a another poster Blindly following advice that may be incorrect.? I hope not..

surely anyone using these boards have the common sense to check with a professional
    or at least do some follow up research elsewhere prior to undertaking a job.

John mac wrote: »
    1 isn't this a c.y.a. statement?

2 Can a poster (or boards.ie ) be held responsible for a another poster Blindly following advice that may be incorrect.? I hope not..

3 surely anyone using these boards have the common sense to check with a professional
    4 or at least do some follow up research elsewhere prior to undertaking a job.
    I inserted the number for ease of comments

1 No more than ur 3
    2 people will try anything
    3 what is common sense?
    4 and sue that resiurce as well?

The world is full of people who want someone else to pay for their self-inflicted errors.

for more wording see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251289

Advertisement