Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bust-Up at Stamford Bridge

• 26-02-2008 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Exclusive
    By Mark Irwin
    26th February 2008

JOHN TERRY and Chelsea coach Henk ten Cate had to be pulled apart by stunned Blues players after a furious training ground bust-up.

The ugly confrontation — just 24 hours before Chelsea’s Carling Cup final defeat by Tottenham — was watched by shocked owner Roman Abramovich.

Eye witnesses saw Ten Cate aggressively face up to skipper Terry during Saturday’s session.

The pair went head to head, hurling a tirade of swear words and insults as players dived in to separate them.

I understand Terry had not been told whether he would be in the team to face Spurs and feared he might lose out.

He was so incensed by the bust-up he refused to accept Ten Cate’s offer of an apology.

One witness told SunSport: “The session was supposed to put the finishing touches to the final plans for Wembley — but it just descended into a massive row.

“All the players have become exasperated by the shambolic nature of some of the recent training sessions.

“And there was a lot of unrest among the squad because no one knew what the team was going to be for Wembley.

“Everyone was trying to guess what was going on and in the end the frustration became too much. But the intensity of the row took everyone by surprise.

“John and Ten Cate were right in each other’s faces and when it became clear that neither was going to back down, other players jumped between them to pull them apart.

“To make matters worse, Mr Abramovich was visiting the training ground and saw the whole thing.”

It is not the first time Dutchman Ten Cate has ruffled a few feathers with his abrasive nature since being appointed assistant first-team coach last October.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle846044.ece

Turns out all those rumours of unrest at Stamford Bridge may have been true, and came to boiling point on Saturday. Things not well at the Bridge perhaps? Either way, this Ten Cate seems like a proper nut job.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Terry getting too big for his boots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Terry is to big for his boots....

added to this the papers today have stories about many chelsea players unhappy with grants team selection for the cup final.
    not all rosey in Chelski!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Couldnt happen to a nicer club. Terry's probably upset that he's not picking the team, way overrated player, should be 5th or 6th in line for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I wouldnt say's he is 5th or 6th, although I must say that Chelsea's defence has been shown up for the non-top class defence that is ever since Makelele's decline. He was the heartbeat of that unbeatable Chelsea team, not Terry, not Cech, not Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Terry was allegedly involved in the sacking of Jose as well wasn't he? Were also stories that when Mourinho was leaving and went around hugging the players that Terry got a frostier farewell.

Just judging from his contract demands alone, wanting a 10year deal with the option to become manager after, he's a guy who has notions above his station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

The story about the training ground incident is almost certainly true.The same person who wrote the stroy also wrote Frank Lampards book it isnt Mark Irwin like it say's in the original post but Douglas Thompson.

There was a journalist on sky sports news earlier saying that douglas is still close to Lampard and he must have informed him.

There is clear unrest at chelsea from top to bottom.Abramovich attending training for the days building up to the final must indicate he had some part to play in the team selection.There has to be unrest in the dressing room also,the players don't seem to like or respect Ten Cate at all. This became evident at the end of the final when Drogba and co went to have a go at the ref Ten Cate tried to intervene and they didnt seem to respond to him at all almost shoving him away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Prob one for the conspiracy forum... :) Maybe Terry got Grant to re-instate his buddy Lamps in the team in place of Ten Cate's preferred choice, Ballack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

John Terry is a bully and thinks he is all that. Ever see him remonstrating with refs? I think he is an entirely objectionable character and its a pity Ten Cate didn't knock him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say Terry is now an ex England captain.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You're missing the two most important words in the entire post.

"The" and "Sun"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd say Terry is now an ex England captain.

Mike.

Agreed. Capello won't stand for that bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This became evident at the end of the final when Drogba and co went to have a go at the ref Ten Cate tried to intervene and they didnt seem to respond to him at all almost shoving him away.
    Ah that's who it was. I was wondering who was trying to hold them back alright.

gimmick wrote:
    John Terry is a bully and thinks he is all that. Ever see him remonstrating with refs?
    Why Mark Halsey didn't give him a yellow card the other day after he'd awarded Spurs the penalty I'll never know. He was right in Halsey's face and wouldn't give him the ball back when asked.

Sometimes I think the referees are afraid of these "bigger" players.

Good to see all this unrest at Chelsea though! :D
    There was no doubt that something was up with the team on Sunday, but having said that, take nothing away from Spurs, they thoroughly deserved the win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

I would love to see John Terry fight Ross Kemp. if the world doesnt explode in this bout id like to see the winner take on Gordon Ramsey

hmmm... idea for a thread forming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

"The" and "Sun"

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I dunno, maybe Terry is trying to save the club he loves by taking charge when nobody else seems capable of doing so.

They have this nobody Avram Grant in charge, who on Sunday's evidence will be outwitted by more experienced managers in big games. He didn't even appear to have motivated the players at all. Ten Cate is looking after their 'style of play' whatever that means, and then they have Abramavich casting his eye over everything.

At extra time in the CC final it was John Terry giving any teamtalk's while Grant was wandering around looking confused.

There is no way that the players can have respect for the current management structure at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

"The" and "Sun"

Are you saying this wasn't a SENSATIONAL bust up that will ROCK Chelsea to the core and DISMANTLE them as a team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i really am baffled as to wat Avram has done that is so wrong for Chelsea fans to think him so unsuitable for the job!?

basically, his league performances are very good. as good as Joses. If it wasnt for the games Jose lost at the start of the season, Avram may well be leading the PL.

he gotten to a cup final in his first year and is still in the CL and FA cup in good positions. Slating his tactical prowess is a little funny as:
    1) ok he may have gotten it wrong on Sun-what manager doesnt?
    2) wat did Jose ever do to demonstarate his tactical prowess while at Chelsea? Rafa whooped him all over the shop in the games that really mattered for Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I think it's dumb that Chelski haters are using this as a chance to mudsling against Terry. Don't let rivalry cloud your footballing senses, he's still an excellent defender, whatever else you have to say about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Savman wrote: »
    I think it's dumb that Chelski haters are using this as a chance to mudsling against Terry. Don't let rivalry could your footballing senses, he's still an excellent defender, whatever else you have to say about him.

Excellent defender, bit of a tosser though.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i really am baffled as to wat Avram has done that is so wrong for Chelsea fans to think him so unsuitable for the job!?

basically, his league performances are very good. as good as Joses. If it wasnt for the games Jose lost at the start of the season, Avram may well be leading the PL.

he gotten to a cup final in his first year and is still in the CL and FA cup in good positions. Slating his tactical prowess is a little funny as:
    1) ok he may have gotten it wrong on Sun-what manager doesnt?
    2) wat did Jose ever do to demonstarate his tactical prowess while at Chelsea? Rafa whooped him all over the shop in the games that really mattered for Jose.

Said fans dont have secret man crushes on Avram!?! :eek: Avram just isnt as sexy!! :D:D

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Excellent defender, bit of a tosser though.
    See I don't see what terrible thing Terry has done to warrant that brand. All we're reading is stories in rags like The Sun.

I'd call Stephen Ireland a "tosser", but IMO Terry demands more respect than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I guess things are a bit too quiet at Anfield lately, The Sun had to come up with something new eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I have no reason not to believe this story, but IMO id say its more to do with JT taking the initiative more so than simply being to big for his boots. His rallying of the team after 90mins on sunday was evidence of this, while grant stood back cluelessly and said nothing Terry was the one doing all the motivational speaking, looking like a man who wanted to win a trophy. That is my main criticism of grant, where Jose demanded the attention of those in his presence, Grant will happily sit back and look like he doesnt give a f***. There couldnt possibly be a bigger difference in character between these two, when compared to Mourinho, Grant is pathetic, how could he be respected by his players?

P.s - im gona go make up a 'Grant Out' sig!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Unearthly wrote: »
    Are you saying this wasn't a SENSATIONAL bust up that will ROCK Chelsea to the core and DISMANTLE them as a team?

Come on, you can't write something like that without putting in the word EXCLUSIVE.

Seriously, have we not gotten past the point where an article in the rag still gets 2 pages on boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

See I don't see what terrible thing Terry has done to warrant that brand.

Google "byrne terry nightclub brawl".

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »

kdjac
    What are you trying to say KdjaCL?

"Chelsea stars are cleared of assault at nightclub"

kdjac
    All that tells me is he was in a nightclub brawl 6 years ago and was cleared of all charges in court.

Terry, 21, reportedly left the dock in tears as he was found not guilty of glassing bouncer Trevor Thirlwall in the face. He was cleared on charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, unlawful wounding, possessing a bottle as an offensive weapon and affray. Despite being manhandled in the press scrum outside the court, Terry's lawyer, Desmond de Silva, managed to say that the player was "extremely relieved and pleased" to have been cleared of the "monstrous and outrageous allegations".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Coupled with the fact that he was cleared of any wrong doing, he was 21, probably drunk, and it was 6 years ago ffs! How about we leave the torches and pitchforks where they are:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What are you trying to say KdjaCL?

"Chelsea stars are cleared of assault at nightclub"

Savman asked why he warranted that brand lot of people wouldnt have known about the brawl, btw your are spot on with your post with one slight change tho^.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I can't see Grant lasting long there. Almost every single decision he makes at the club is being questioned, and he generally isn't given much respect. More tabloid ****e today about how Ballack, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole and another player (can't remember) are going to demand an explanation as to why they weren't in the team Sunday. I'd question the truth of half of it, especially given the source, but theres normally no smoke without fire. It was always going to be hard to replace someone with the influence Mourinho had over the players, and it really needed to be someone who would command instant respect.

So should Ronaldo be called a rapist? Or least have a reputation as being a rapist?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    So should Ronaldo be called a rapist? Or least have a reputation as being a rapist?

Well u see there was no rape. The girl made it up to try to get money. There was an assault in this case so it had slightly more substance. But I agree, he was cleared.

Savman asked why he warranted that brand lot of people wouldnt have known about the brawl, btw your are spot on with your post with one slight change tho^.

kdjac
    Still no relevance. He was cleared in a court of law. But in your eyes, he still touched those kids eh? Terry is no more a lout than Van Persie or Ronaldo is a rapist.

My point is simply that even those small minded fans who took a disliking to Terry, they'd all love to have him at their clubs. Safe to say, a lot of it probably boils down to simple envy.

You're attempting to paint him in a bad light, but there are 2 sides to every coin:
    wikipedia wrote:
    Honours

Chelsea Personal honours

I think it's clear this guy ain't no Joey Barton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Still no relevance. He was cleared in a court of law. But in your eyes, he still touched those kids eh? Terry is no more a lout than Van Persie or Ronaldo is a rapist.

My point is simply that even those small minded fans who took a disliking to Terry, they'd all love to have him at their clubs. Safe to say, a lot of it probably boils down to simple envy.

You're attempting to paint him in a bad light, but there are 2 sides to every coin:

I think it's clear this guy ain't no Joey Barton.

don't let the truth get in the way of a bit of chelsea bashing.

Strangely I haven't seen this story in any real newspaper today, maybe they made it up! Anyway, no matter how many playground arguments they may have at Cobham, its all irrelevent until we get a manager who knows something about managing football teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

growler wrote: »
    don't let the truth get in the way of a bit of chelsea bashing.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally, I think the fact that he demanded an 11 year contract where he would become manager at the end says all you need to know about Terry, even if it was just a rumour.

He is becoming like Shearer at Newcastle, thinks he the most important part of the club.
    It's also no surprise that the team are desperately unhappy under Grant. Mourinho created a siege mentality for a reason, because it distracts from other things, like you not getting to play week in week out due to the massive size of the squad. That many players is extremely difficult to manage, Mourinho was magical at it, Grant is not.
    Either way, I think this will all be solved when Chelsea win nothing this year, Grant is fired, new manager comes in, give 200 million to spend, Chelsea start all over again.

As I said before this Claude Mak must have been surely the worlds greatest player ever. To make JT and Lamps look world class and even come close to winning world player of the year and such like must take some doing. Surely he should have been worlds greatest for the past 5 years no?

The thing is the hypocrasy on this board is unreal. Apparently Terry is crap as is Lampard. Lampard only scores because of Drogba, obviously he never scored a goal in his life prior to Drogba arriving. Lampard only scores deflections. I think football focus said about a month ago only 6 goals in his entire career were deflections.

Terry is apparently crap and as someone said recently, stay with me while I stop laughing and attempt to write this: "Chelsea's 4th best defender". Assuming you mean behind Ricky, Alex and Tal ben. The latter two are average at best but yes Ricky is sheer class. Strange how even last season and indeed this season everyone was saying how crap the Chelsea defense is without Terry in there, yet he is apparently crap.

17 goals conceeded 2nd best in the prem and the collosal Claude Mak hasn't even played very much football this season. Oh but wait no sorry, its nothing to do with JT its all Petr Cech. The same Cech that someone said recently is woeful this season and error prone.

Am I missing something here?

you're rising to the bait, you shouldn't bother.

I'm glad that PHB can decide what ever he wants about a player based on unfounded rumours, good thinking that way you can always invent some nonsense to support whatever bizzare view you want to have, smart.

"Personally, I think the fact that he demanded an 11 year contract where he would become manager at the end says all you need to know about Terry, even if it was just a rumour."

its hard to believe you can sit there and type this without your head exploding from the sheer stupidity of it, "fact" not same as "rumour"

legend

I think the fact that the rumour came out shows all you need to know about Terry, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was true. That's how he sees himself, and somebody obviously thought to take it to its logical conclusions.

Rumour is often a reflection of the facts. Terry has an attitude problem there's no doubt about that. The fact that he was instrumental in getting rid of Mourinho says all I need to know about where he thinks of himself in relation to the club.

• Advertisement

growler wrote: »
    you're rising to the bait, you shouldn't bother.

I'm glad that PHB can decide what ever he wants about a player based on unfounded rumours, good thinking that way you can always invent some nonsense to support whatever bizzare view you want to have, smart.

"Personally, I think the fact that he demanded an 11 year contract where he would become manager at the end says all you need to know about Terry, even if it was just a rumour."

its hard to believe you can sit there and type this without your head exploding from the sheer stupidity of it, "fact" not same as "rumour"

legend
    Don't be silly. If The Sun says so it has to be true.

Also lets not forget his demands that he be the highest paid player at the club, even if it was only be 1000 pounds. That's important you know, he has to be the best player.
    Some players have egos, but are still reasonable enough, like say Lampard, but some players have egos that are built up and encouraged, particuarly when they are home grown players, we all see this happen with Shearer, maybe even with Gerrard, and this is defo happening with Terry.

PHB wrote: »
    I think the fact that the rumour came out shows all you need to know about Terry, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was true. That's how he sees himself, and somebody obviously thought to take it to its logical conclusions.

Rumour is often a reflection of the facts. Terry has an attitude problem there's no doubt about that. The fact that he was instrumental in getting rid of Mourinho says all I need to know about where he thinks of himself in relation to the club.

Would you like a shovel to help with that hole you're digging?

A logical conclusion to hearing an unsubstantiated rumour that matches your own preconceived ideas = a fact. ROFL.

Hope you never get jury service.

I happened to read Terry's programme notes shortly after said rumour came out and he denied ever having asked for such a thing, said it was completely untrue, but hey if you want to believe whatever you want why bother trying to justify it?

Also lets not forget his demands that he be the highest paid player at the club, even if it was only be 1000 pounds. That's important you know, he has to be the best player.
    Some players have egos, but are still reasonable enough, like say Lampard, but some players have egos that are built up and encouraged, particuarly when they are home grown players, we all see this happen with Shearer, maybe even with Gerrard, and this is defo happening with Terry.
    Man you don't know when to stop. Shearer was a class act, one of the greatest strikers of the modern game. He was a seriously important part of NUFC, if you can't see that I can't explain it to you. He's a feckin God up there.

Terry is Chelsea thru and thru and some would argue he has probably been the single most important player in their successful Mourinho era. I know it's easy to jump on a bandwagon like its the latest fashion trend, but this man is a highly respect figure in the game and so far you have not shown any evidence of this supposed ego.
    wiki wrote:

In the July 2007 edition of World Soccer Magazine, players from a variety of clubs were asked who they thought was the perfect captain. The following are a selection of quotes from players who chose John Terry.
    • "Even from the outside the game you can appreciate that John Terry is the boss of the Chelsea side in all ways."-Cesc Fabregas, Arsenal.
    • "You can see that everybody always looks for John Terry on the pitch. He is vital for Chelsea."-Gabriel Heinze, Real Madrid.
    • "...what you need is a good communicator and organizer, such as John Terry, who obviously cares deeply about his club."-Christoph Metzelder, Real Madrid.
    • "John Terry is the perfect skipper. It's obvious Chelsea means everything to him. When he makes those last ditch blocks, team-mates can't help but be inspired."-Kasey Keller, Fulham FC.

But I guess they're all wrong and you're right, he's an egotistical overrated twat.

Rumour is often a reflection of the facts.
    Lord almighty.
    PHB wrote:
    Terry has an attitude problem there's no doubt about that.
    Actually there is doubt, a lot of it.
    PHB wrote:
    The fact that he was instrumental in getting rid of Mourinho says all I need to know about where he thinks of himself in relation to the club.
    And you know all this how? Oh wait...
    Rumour is often a reflection of the facts.
    I see.

Would you like a shovel to help with that hole you're digging?

A logical conclusion to hearing an unsubstantiated rumour that matches your own preconceived ideas = a fact. ROFL.

You didn't really read my post did ya?

--

It's no surprise that people who like him are from outside the club in those quotes. Wonder what Mourinho would say about him? Nobodies denying his talent on the pitch, which is what those players are talking about. This is off the pitch stuff.
    Man you don't know when to stop. Shearer was a class act, one of the greatest strikers of the modern game. He was a seriously important part of NUFC, if you can't see that I can't explain it to you. He's a feckin God up there.

He is, but it's also why they are so bloody delusional. Shearer stayed too long, had managers fired because they weren't picking him, and put pressure on the manager years after he had left the club. He was bigger than the club, just like Terry is trying to be, and somewhat succedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

prendy wrote: »
    Terry is to big for his boots....

Looks like it, another Roy Keane in the making.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Looks like it, another Roy Keane in the making.

Yeah it would be a shame if he turned into the best player in the land driving his team on to title after title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

God you chelsea fans well wherever you are some some major problems don't you. Few things. Number 1 the article is from the sun so well thats that discredited straight away. Number two, Why get so annoyed at grant. Hey he didn't tell roman to sack mourinho and he damn sure has not done a bad job at chelsea. He has stuck with the mourinho formation until they can work on his style during the summer. I don't particularily follow chelsea's stats but grant has only lost what something like 3 games since he took charge. Hardly warrants sacking does it. God chelsea must really be in for some rough times now. Lost a cup final;) And yes john terry is a bully among other things like an ex england captain as was already rightly pointed out. John Terry thinks he is bigger than chelsea and we all know where thats going to lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

By Ian McGarry
    27th February 2008

HENK TEN CATE last night admitted he had a furious F-word bust-up with Chelsea skipper John Terry.

The Blues’ Dutch coach confirmed yesterday’s SunSport’s exclusive and confessed his part in the row which has rocked Stamford Bridge.

Ten Cate said: “We are both kind of emotional — but we respect each other fully.

“We just had a discussion about the intensity of the training session. That’s a normal part of the game. There have been a few F-words, no doubt. But that’s common in England.”

The 53-year-old coach also admitted there was tension before the Carling Cup final.

Quoted on the Dutch newspaper AD website, Ten Cate said: “There was a special tension on Saturday.

“We have 27 players and three keepers but only a few of them could play.

“John wanted to have even more intensity in training but I didn’t agree as we were just one day before the match. That was all. Me and John get on well. John won’t disagree.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle850687.ece

• Advertisement
Advertisement