Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

favourite game

• 26-02-2008 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

so what do you lads enjot hunting the most? I hope i havnt forgot anything here

what game do you enjoy hunting the most? 64 votes

deer
    0% 0 votes
    pheasent
    20% 13 votes
    duck
    18% 12 votes
    rabbit
    10% 7 votes
    snipe
    26% 17 votes
    woodcock
    10% 7 votes
    woodpigeon
    7% 5 votes
    squirell
    4% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

My preferred hunt is the fox, night lamping with the .223 & dogs & shotguns on a Sunday, but as it is not game & not on the poll, rabbit will do. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Trojan911 wrote: »
    My preferred hunt is the fox, night lamping with the .223 & dogs & shotguns on a Sunday, but as it is not game & not on the poll, rabbit will do. :D

+1
    Also is Squirrel game? I think it's classified as a pest !!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmyzx

I say snipe as they provide some great snap shooting shots. (Helps keep the reactions fast) :D:D:D I would follow it with Pheasant as there is nothing quiet like the sight and sound of a fine cock bird rising out of a hedge in front of an eager spaniel.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Terrier wrote: »
    +1

you can eat squirrell and not a fox so thats where my logic in that sense came from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Terrier wrote: »
    +1
    You could say the same about pigeons and rabbits

there is nothing quiet like the sight and sound of a fine cock rising
    :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

Snipe is, I think, the best craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I enjoy hunting rabbits because there are lots of them and there are so many different ways to hunt them like shotgun, rifle during the day or on a lamp at night, ferrets, Lurchers, terriers, snare, all of which i enjoy, and thier realy tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

Snipe got my vote - pleantifull around my area

Very chalanging to shoot

as more often than not you will miss - which favours the snipe population and the hunter

Its a great way of getting yer dog warmed up too.

I dont take any joy in shooting phesents, there too easy with a dog thats rock steady...

i like the pheasents so thats what i voted. pity there's not many around!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Woodcock. Hard to beat working along a sally ditch and the springers tearing the cover apart:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

Donegal Red Deer by a country mile....was out today and saw 4 good hinds, if they had just presented a good safe shot i would have had a few good Sunday dinners ahead....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

It has to be Duck the last 15 min of an evening flight,even do i shoot a lot of Deer, Duck is no 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

its definately deer,ive the rest of the week off so im going out every morning and evening till the season ends for some fallow, although its hard to beat a bit of rabbiting with the .22 during the long summer evenings, great craic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Goats and pigs in Australia, Deer in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭mallards

Snipe and woodcock, followed by partridge, which you forgot Stevoman!!:D

Mallards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Pigeons every time!

PS: I think you will find that you can eat fox!

(I never said it would taste nice!!)

mallards wrote: »
    Snipe and woodcock, followed by partridge, which you forgot Stevoman!!:D

Mallards

you got me there mallards:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Pheasant because of the way the springer works, your always on your toes:)
    Duck I love eating duck preferable to pheasant, love a night flight, love the way teal will lift of a river:)
    Pigeons and Rabbitts to keep my local farmers happy (Nrth County Dublin) the pigeon breast tastes lovely ditto for grayzers (3/4 grown rabbits)
    Charlie to keep my pheasants and local farmers happy (Cavan) fox drive better crack but also enjoy lamping. I am drawing the line at nibbling on his shanks:eek:
    Never shot a deer but have eaten venison:)
    Squirrell if I get a chance ate one last year (different)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

I enjoy hunting rabbits because there are lots of them and there are so many different ways to hunt them like shotgun, rifle during the day or on a lamp at night, ferrets, Lurchers, terriers, snare, all of which i enjoy, and thier realy tasty

Agreed, me and a friend spent many evenings and afternoons out for rabbits last summer. One of us with a shot gun, for the ones that would break when you walked by them and one with the .22 for the longer range static shots, great craic as there was massive overbreeding in some areas around me, fire a shot and the entire field would come alive with rabbits darting for the hedge!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Game: Rabbits = 1st; snipe = 2nd; pigeon = 3rd

Vermin: Fox = 1st; grey crow = 2nd; magpie = 3rd; grey squirrel = 4th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pheasant because of the way the springer works, your always on your toes:)
    Ditto, weel except for the fact that I love the way a setter works. Totally different but I prefere it. (Tough with low numbers though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 maigheo

woodcock and then snipe, tough shots, challenging retrieves and very tasty.
    will come across pheasant and duck too, but mainly duck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Hang on a second.... Who voted squirrel?!!!!

Advertisement